Dat done 7/8/09!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMpredent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took my DAT yesterday and I'm really happy with my scores. I always thought these threads were useful so here it goes:

PA: 23
RC: 21
BIO: 20
Gen Chem: 19
Orgo: 20
QR: 18
TS: 20
AA: 20

I took a Kaplan class, used the Destroyer, CDP and also used DAT Achiever. Kaplan is very good at structuring your time and getting you prepared. The Destroyer was good, but hard. I would not suggest using this until you have reviewed on your own. DAT Achiever was HARD- too hard, almost not even worth getting. I was getting 16s and 17s on my practice exams, but it is a good review of random stuff.

BIO: Questions were very straight forward. Study as much as you can. Kaplan did a nice review and the Destroyer was excellent too.

Gen Chem: Usually this is my best section. During the test I didn't think it was too hard, but obviously made some mistakes. Very few calculations required but all the calculation practice made it easier. I found that a lot of the problems that DID require calculations already had it done out for you (Ex: 18/30*25*1000 etc). So be able to SET UP problems and know what they are talking about. Periodic trends are VERY IMPORTANT, at least on my test. Overall, not too bad.

Orgo: This section was WAY easier than I thought it would be. Very straightforward. A couple naming questions, synthesis questions and one NMR question. Destroyer and Kaplan were GREAT for this section. Destroyer was much harder but it really gets you to understand the material.

PAT: CRACK DAT PAT! GET IT! I owe my score completely to CDP. The Kaplan was good for starters, but is a lot easier. I recommend getting the 10 CDP package, or the other more expensive one. Hole punching on the real DAT was slightly different than on CDP... the holes they punch are much smaller but the folds are easier. Angles were at about the same level as CDP, some A LOT easier though. The cube counting wasn't bad either- I didn't have an illusion ones but be prepared. The Pattern folding was a bit different too, I think a little harder than CDP and easier than Kaplan. Practice Practice Practice. I took an exam every other day until my real DAT and kept improving. The day before my DAT I got a 23, my best score, and that's what I ended up getting on the real test.

RC: Not too bad. My passages weren't very dense and I just used search and destroy. The wording on some of the problems were a bit tricky so READ THE QUESTION. I know this sounds obvious but make sure you understand what the question is asking.

QR: Not hard, just nearly impossible to finish in 45 minutes! I was getting 21s and 22s on my practice exams. Kaplan and Achiever are a good review. I used Kaplan's "backsolving" strategy and that worked out well. Backsolving is when you look at the answers first and plug them in to the question to see if they work. I always start with choice D or C first and usually find the right answer. WORK FAST!

GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad.

OH and I forgot to mention- I am going to sell my Destroyer if anybody is interested. I did not write in it, just underlined a couple of things in the solutions. The book needs to be rebound because they did a very poor binding job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also took the kaplan course. Did u use any other materials for biology other than kaplan review notes and workshops?

Once agian, congratulations! amazing scores. You are set!

This maybe off-topic but i had a quick question... I am on the same boat- taking the kaplan class and waiting a week after it ends to take the dat. I was thinking about getting topscore but alot of people these days are saying that it is much easier than the real DAT, almost non-representative. So if i dont get Topscore, I have 4 full-length exams I can use that comes with the Kaplan class. I am also using Destroyer and I am doing very well on the sciences portion of Destroyer. Would this be enough for practice problems? Oh btw, I am also thinking about getting CDP.
btw, I did very well on the kaplan midterm (20AA,22TS,23PAT) (did horrible on rc and qr).

Do you think Kaplan would be enough?
Are 4 full-length's enough? All of them bieng Kaplan...
Thanks for any input.
Once again congratulations...now enjoy the summer!

I also took the kaplan course. Did u use any other materials for biology other than kaplan review notes and workshops?

I did all the Kaplan stuff. Used the DAT Destroyer and took 3 DAT Achiever exams and reviewed from them.

Once agian, congratulations! amazing scores. You are set!

This maybe off-topic but i had a quick question... I am on the same boat- taking the kaplan class and waiting a week after it ends to take the dat. I was thinking about getting topscore but alot of people these days are saying that it is much easier than the real DAT, almost non-representative. So if i dont get Topscore, I have 4 full-length exams I can use that comes with the Kaplan class. I am also using Destroyer and I am doing very well on the sciences portion of Destroyer. Would this be enough for practice problems? Oh btw, I am also thinking about getting CDP.
btw, I did very well on the kaplan midterm (20AA,22TS,23PAT) (did horrible on rc and qr).

Do you think Kaplan would be enough?
Are 4 full-length's enough? All of them bieng Kaplan...
Thanks for any input.
Once again congratulations...now enjoy the summer!

I think that the Kaplan exams should be enough if you are also using the destroyer. For me, the Orgo section was comparable, the Gen Chem was much more CONCEPT based, rather than calculation based. The bio is just random so the more you know the better off you will be. Kaplan does a good job if you know the book and the workshops well. DAT Destroyer should solidify this and introduce a couple random things that Kaplan leaves out. The PAT on the real DAT is MUCH harder than Kaplan. Do all of Kaplan's PAT but I definitely recommend getting CDP. I also used DAT Achiever. It was way harder than the real DAT but good practice I guess.