Dat done - 8/05

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to say THANK YOU to all those people who have helped me, those that I messaged and those who responded to my posts in their breakdowns, I appreciate it. Hopefully mine can help someone else.
(alright enough of that, here's the good stuff)

PAT = 22
QR = 19 :clap:
RC = 26 :cool:
BIO = 24
GC = 23
OC = 23

TS = 23 :D
AA = 23 :D

BREAKDOWN!!!

I really wanted to give a good breakdown for all those who have yet to take it because many people before me helped me to prepare for this thing.

Bio
- What I thought - I thought most of the questions were pretty easy (compared to Destroyer/Cliffs type questions). I distinctly remember that I got through the first 20 without any trouble. I got a couple of strange ones after that though, I don't remember on what, but the difficulty of these in comparison was like night and day. There were probably only 3-4 like this though.

- What I used - Read through Cliffs twice, Read through Kaplan once, went through Destroyer once. I also bought the 5 extra Cliffs AP Bio tests so I had a total of 7 cliffs AP Bio tests that I took and I think that probably really helped. Seeing so many questions and answer explanations can't hurt so I would recommend it to everyone struggling with Bio. Topscore 1/2/3

GC
- What I thought - Nothing too complicated. Seemed to touch on pretty much everything that I covered at least once, but I don't remember too many curveballs. Maybe 2-3 that had me stumped for a minute. There were a decent amount of "gimmies" in here. Don't just know how to do the problem, know why it happens, understand how the concepts relate.

- What I used - CHAD's VIDEOS R AWESOME. There, I said it. If you haven't used these videos, find them, watch them, memorize them. This is coming from someone who got a C in chem I and a B in chem II. He does such an excellent job of not just explaining how to do the problems, but also the basics and theory behind them without being too boring, and based on what I saw on the real thing, the basics behind the problems are very important. Also went through Kaplan twice, and a handful of destroyer problems. Topscore 1/2/3

OC
- What I thought - I got A's in I and II when I took it 2 years ago so I have a pretty good understanding of the concepts and mechanisms and I think that helped a lot. I just had to go back and solidify that and memorize the reactions for the most part. Again, I think this was pretty basic because I don't remember too many difficult ones. It seemed like for the most part, all of the sciences had about 80-90% problems that they wanted you to "get," and about 10% that were a step above in difficulty to see if you really understood what was going on. (However, this could also just be because I didn't understand/know that 10% though)

- What I used - Went through Kaplan twice, destroyer once, first half of my old textbook, first semester of chad's ochem videos (also good but a little too specific for the DAT). Topscore 1/2/3.

PAT
- What I thought - Keyholes seemed a fair bit different from CDP, so I was running a little behind where I wanted to be on time as compared to CDP. I thought TFE seemed easier, one or two weird hole punches but other than that it was easier. Some angles were really tough, but at least about half of them were real easy. Cube counting was much easier, pattern folding was a little more difficult, but it wasn't too bad, I started to run out of time though so had to hurry through the last part a bit.

- What I used - CDP!! scored between 21-24. Highly recommend the 10 test version, and make sure to keep taking them up to the day of the DAT. Also, if you don't have time to do a whole one or don't want to, try just going through angle rankings here and there, I think that may help to decipher the angles if you just keep refreshing yourself on them every day.

RC
- What I thought - cake... I think I got a little bit lucky. Crocodiles - not too bad. Motion processing - again pretty simple, mostly S&D. Fungi - super, unbelieveably S&D easy.

- What I used - Topscore 1 and Topscore 3 (I have always been good at reading [34 ACT], and was good at MCAT verbal so I wasn't too worried but was a bit fearful of having a rough patch and getting flustered so I wanted to practice a bit with the search and destroy.

QR
- What I Thought - Real easy for the most part, maybe 5-10 questions that I had trouble with or skipped and guessed at before time expired. A lot of simple arithmetic, some easy trigonomatry, word problems weren't too tough (but those are my best section to be honest, lol, I suck at equations but I can reason an answer out with the best of 'em). I knew by the end that I did better than 16-17, and for that I was pretty excited to see my final results. The biggest thing with this section is to have a plan. I had one going in. In my head I said, if you're not sure you can figure it out, than go to the next one, just make sure you at least find 15-20 that you know for sure, and if you take educated guessese you should come up with at least a 16-17, and that's good enough to keep you from missing many cutoffs. Just realize that you're not going to be able to finish all 40 and be okay with that, just make sure that the 20, 30 or 35 that you are able to get through count.

- What I Used - Read through Kaplan QR once or twice, about 10 CDM tests and 4-5 Math Destroyer tests. I think the problems in CDM were definitely harder for the most part. Math Destroyer was a little closer in difficulty. I think the real thing was much easier, but each question in the real thing was still pretty time consuming.

Topscore 1/2/3
Bio - 18/20/20
GC - 19/18/19
OC - 19/19/20

CDP - 21-24
CDM - 18-22
Math Destroyer - 18-22

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll be back in an hour or two and will add the breakdown, but I gotta go get something to eat first. If you have any questions pre-breakdown go ahead and post them and I will respond when I get back to them as well.

PAT = 22
BIO = 24
GC = 23
OC = 23

3.93 oGPA, 3.89sGPA - Biology Major
80 hours shadowing
200 hours volunteer coaching
student athlete all 4 years
MO Resident

Applied to
-UMKC
-SIUE
-Iowa
-Nebraska
-Louisville
-Baylor
-San Antonio

Great scores and GPA- you're not interested in the Ivies? You definitely have a shot!

Congrats!

How did you manage to do well on QR?

and How did you study for BIO? I have DAT in two days, and I am still struggling with it... What would you recommend ? :oops:

thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be back in an hour or two and will add the breakdown, but I gotta go get something to eat first. If you have any questions pre-breakdown go ahead and post them and I will respond when I get back to them as well.

PAT = 22
BIO = 24
GC = 23
OC = 23

3.93 oGPA, 3.89sGPA - Biology Major
80 hours shadowing
200 hours volunteer coaching
student athlete all 4 years
MO Resident

Applied to
-UMKC
-SIUE
-Iowa
-Nebraska
-Louisville
-Baylor
-San Antonio

lets just hope your application does not sit next to me

Great scores and GPA- you're not interested in the Ivies? You definitely have a shot!

Thanks!

I'm interested in the cheapest school that I can get into that I also would want to go to. (Not that I wouldn't want to go to an Ivy, the cash is a big factor though)

That and for whatever reason I feel more comfortable going to a midwest/southeast school. Don't ask me why, cause I don't know, I guess because I'm from the midwest I'm not a big city Harvard type of guy.

Last edited:
Congrats!

How did you manage to do well on QR?

and How did you study for BIO? I have DAT in two days, and I am still struggling with it... What would you recommend ? :oops:

thank you!

Take practice tests/questions. Kaplan, Cliffs, Destroyer bio, Topscore bio, any of em. As many of them as you can. And try to review some stuff the night before that you really have trouble remembering and hopefully you can get it to stick in your brain for the next 24 hours :D. I think that once you have a good foundation, doing practice questions is the best way to reinforce ideas into your head. Oftentimes you can remember that old test question you did back when, that has something to do with the question you're looking at on the real thing, and being able to use your understanding of that question can help you on the real DAT.

so would you say crack MATH is a good representation of the qr section

I think it was more difficult than the QR section I had, but I would still recommend it because it at least makes you think about similar types of problems and can make you faster in your ability to answer questions.

RC
- What I thought - cake... I think I got a little bit lucky. Crocodiles - not too bad. Motion processing - again pretty simple, mostly S&D. Fungi - super, unbelieveably S&D easy.
Denner successfully makes me jealous.
I'll be d*mn if I don't get this version! :xf:
Somebody please tell me there are other versions just as easy as this one, please lie to me if you must.

When I saw the scores though, I must have looked like I lost my mind to the people watching the cameras. I was doing all kinds of stupid fist pumps and "We are the Champion" type poses while sitting in my chair. It...was...awesome.

Haha..was it something like this? :soexcited::clap::claps::nod::rofl:I hope I'll be doing the same!

Great breakdown by the way!

Denner successfully makes me jealous.
I'll be d*mn if I don't get this version! :xf:
Somebody please tell me there are other versions just as easy as this one, please lie to me if you must.

I don't want to make you jealous...okay, maybe a little :D Like I said above though, for whatever reason I'm pretty good at this "reading" type stuff, so it may have just seemed relatively "easy". Remember, I'm used to MCAT Verbal and that thing is all tone/inference.

With that said though, I still think the fungi would seem easy to just about everyone no matter your ability on RC.

So I'll hope that you get it too :)
Haha..was it something like this? :soexcited::clap::claps::nod::rofl:I hope I'll be doing the same!

Great breakdown by the way!

You forgot :banana:

It was like this, but with more hair (on my head, not my arms, that guy looks like an ape :laugh:)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Fist-pump.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I do! Which of Chad's videos did you watch exactly? The general chemistry ones specifically for DAT/MCAT (http://www.coursesaver.com/showthread.php?t=39) or the lectures for I and II? Thanks and AWESOME job! :clap:

I watched the gen chem ones for DAT/MCAT once through completely, and then skipped around to parts I had trouble with or wanted more confidence in 2 or three more times just to make sure I had the concepts down. Definitely watch all of them at least once, the more the better though because he does an absolutely fantastic job even if it is a bit slow at some points.

I think I also watched all the OChem I lectures once, but I didn't get to the Ochem II lectures. I thought the Ochem I lectures were good and they do a good job with a lot of the basic mechanisms and reactions like electrophilic addition and SN1/E2 stuff and what not. It obviously wasn't as "DAT focused" as the gen chem review so there may have been some stuff in there that isn't as important on the DAT, but if you have time and are sitting around doing nothing and don't feel like reading, I'm sure it could only help you.

good job dude!

Thanks man, what can I say, you inspired me with your breakdown.......:laugh:

whoooooa dennertrain you took this thing down. freaking cheetah on a gazelle. posh scores and an ice-cold gpa for the kicker. yeh i think youre in dental school... how's it feel?

whoooooa dennertrain you took this thing down. freaking cheetah on a gazelle. posh scores and an ice-cold gpa for the kicker. yeh i think youre in dental school... how's it feel?

Its funny that you posted here. I remember reading your scores and your breakdown and thinking to myself, "man, if I could only get those scores that GOLF got, I would be so stoked" and looking at your scores again it's interesting how similar they are.

And I'm not gonna lie, it feels good....damn good :smuggrin:

ahaha yeh denner live it up killa - you've got it made... you just need an interview now... me? i gotta work on my grades a little. good luck yo!

Wow! First I just want to congratulate you! It's funny because when you said that you looked up at others with high DAT scores, that's exactly what i thought when I saw your scores "I only WISH that I can do that when it's my time to take the DAT!!"
I was just wondering...how long did you study for the DAT? And thanks for the breakdown!!

Wow! First I just want to congratulate you! It's funny because when you said that you looked up at others with high DAT scores, that's exactly what i thought when I saw your scores "I only WISH that I can do that when it's my time to take the DAT!!"
I was just wondering...how long did you study for the DAT? And thanks for the breakdown!!

Thanks
I glanced at a few things in June, but really studied for about a month starting in early July. The last week or two I picked it up a bit and went pretty much all afternoon/night.

congrats. any particular tips on the hole punches? they're bogging my butt down.

Just practice, practice, practice. And make a 4X4 grid for each hole punch question and fill in each space where there would be a hole when it is unfolded. I remember when I first started CDP and the folds and punches just looked ridiculous, but after awhile you gain some confidence and speed and they aren't too bad anymore.

how much time did u take to study for the exam? like weeks/months

I glanced over a couple things sporadically in June (and spent way too much time working and surfing SDN), but I really studied for about a month starting in early July. The last week or two I studied pretty much all afternoon/night.

Just practice, practice, practice. And make a 4X4 grid for each hole punch question and fill in each space where there would be a hole when it is unfolded. I remember when I first started CDP and the folds and punches just looked ridiculous, but after awhile you gain some confidence and speed and they aren't too bad anymore.

I glanced over a couple things sporadically in June (and spent way too much time working and surfing SDN), but I really studied for about a month starting in early July. The last week or two I studied pretty much all afternoon/night.

oh alrighty. u studied all day every day for the month?

oh alrighty. u studied all day every day for the month?

I probably studied a couple of hours a day for the first two weeks, and then pretty much from 1pm-midnight with some breaks in there the last two weeks.

You're no longer "Pre-Dental", my friend. You're a "Dental Student"...and I'll stab anyone who says otherwise. :shifty:

AMAZING scores, by the way. I hope to do just as well...or even HALF as well (I'll take it!)

You're no longer "Pre-Dental", my friend. You're a "Dental Student"...and I'll stab anyone who says otherwise. :shifty:

AMAZING scores, by the way. I hope to do just as well...or even HALF as well (I'll take it!)

Thanks man, I'll at least wait till Dec. 1st though :D

You'll do fine, just study hard and be confident. Most of the questions on it are relatively easy compared to undergrad tests.