Perceptual 20
QR 16 :)scared:)
RC 20
Bio 23
GC 19
OC 19
TS 20
AA 19

3.35oGPA, 3.55BCP, 3.5 Sci. Lots of great extracirriculars, including over over 1000 community service hours.
My numbers aren't as great as some of yours but I hope this will be enough to get me in somewhere. Let me know what you think!
I took the Kaplan class, used the destroyer book and that's about it, the kaplan online resources and flashcards definitely came in handy. I'll answer any specific questions if anyone has any.

4thMolar

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Good scores! You shouldn't be disappointed. With these scores and your GPA, I'm sure you'll score some interviews. Have you submitted your app yet?

dfymarine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
solid scores!

can you tell me how did you study for the BIO, and any tip on it? I am struggling with it... :oops:

OP
S

Sublimize23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks! I was REALLY pulling for that 17 in QR but what can ya do. I've struggled with math my whole life. Yep app submitted last week, supplemental checks all went out this morning (I put them in my mailbox on the way to the exam so I couldn't change my mind if things didn't go well!)

OP
S

Sublimize23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
solid scores!

can you tell me how did you study for the BIO, and any tip on it? I am struggling with it... :oops:
well for starters, I have a really strong background in bio (was a TA, only ever gotten one or 2 B's in bio classes) and I used kaplan BB and flashcards for basics, and Destroyer has some great (though overkill) bio problems. You want to be more than familiar with the concepts of osmosis/diffusion/active transport, hypo-hyper-isotonic, respiration is a big one, mine actually had a lot of plant and ecological succession stuff on there, one had a picture of a mountain with elevations and the species that inhabit each zone marked, and it was testing your knowledge of competition and evolution, DO NOT rule out plants, because mine definitely had a few plant and fungi related questions on there.

edit - and I got the piano passage. Not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Good scores, I'm sure you're relieved to be done!

Any insight into the science sections would be great...

How was it compared to Destroyer?

dfymarine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
well for starters, I have a really strong background in bio (was a TA, only ever gotten one or 2 B's in bio classes) and I used kaplan BB and flashcards for basics, and Destroyer has some great (though overkill) bio problems. You want to be more than familiar with the concepts of osmosis/diffusion/active transport, hypo-hyper-isotonic, respiration is a big one, mine actually had a lot of plant and ecological succession stuff on there, one had a picture of a mountain with elevations and the species that inhabit each zone marked, and it was testing your knowledge of competition and evolution, DO NOT rule out plants, because mine definitely had a few plant and fungi related questions on there.

edit - and I got the piano passage. Not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.
thank you!!!! :love:

OP
S

Sublimize23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Good scores, I'm sure you're relieved to be done!

Any insight into the science sections would be great...

How was it compared to Destroyer?
Oh absolutely. After I called and told my friend my scores, he asked what I was gonna do now, and I said.. "Well, I don't know!" haha

The Destroyer is invaluable for gen chem, it was about 50/50 concepts and calculations, a few of them had the math done out like this (50)(1.15)/(246) or whatever (I made those numbers up, don't freak out) but there were only a couple pH and pKa calculations, I didn't get any common ion problems. The math in destroyer is way overkill most of the time compared to what's on the actual thing, they make the numbers so they divide evenly, etc. QR section of the destroyer book was pretty close actually, I wish I had been better with this stuff but I am not a very math oriented person. There were about 3 or 4 problems that I just did not know how to even approach.

ZzZzSleepyhead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Good job and thanks much for the tips!! Good luck:luck:

Jun 8, 2009
Status
SO relieved to finally be making this thread,
Perceptual 20
QR 16 :)scared:)
RC 20
Bio 23
GC 19
OC 19
TS 20
AA 19

3.35oGPA, 3.55BCP, 3.5 Sci. Lots of great extracirriculars, including over over 1000 community service hours.
My numbers aren't as great as some of yours but I hope this will be enough to get me in somewhere. Let me know what you think!
I took the Kaplan class, used the destroyer book and that's about it, the kaplan online resources and flashcards definitely came in handy. I'll answer any specific questions if anyone has any.
Great Scores. You should be set for dental schools! :thumbup:

I had a few questions if you wont mind answering them.

You Bio score is very good. Was kaplan and destroyer sufficient? most students say this is random. What helped you the most for this?

QR is usually hard. Was it the same story for you? long questions and not enough time?

How was the GC and OC section in terms of difficulty?

suhshi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Dentist
congratsss
nice scores

goodluck on apps

OP
S

Sublimize23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Great Scores. You should be set for dental schools! :thumbup:

I had a few questions if you wont mind answering them.

You Bio score is very good. Was kaplan and destroyer sufficient? most students say this is random. What helped you the most for this?

QR is usually hard. Was it the same story for you? long questions and not enough time?

How was the GC and OC section in terms of difficulty?
I had the all kaplan course materials, BB, flashcards, etc obviously, and also the book that's sold in book stores, with the white stripe for the DAT. I never cracked the bio section of the big book once. I just went over all the bio in the BB during class and a couple times after the class was over, did all the bio flashcards and some questions from destroyer. Bio is random, I thought I was getting my ass kicked by this section the entire time, lol. What helped me most I think was just solidifying concepts that are in cell bio, genetics and physiology. I was very good with the endocrine system (can't wait for the full class this semester!), very good with respiration (know what, when, where and why, you don't need to know all the steps of glycolysis or each step of the Kreb's cycle), BE FAMILIAR WITH PLANTS AND PS, because I read time and time again on here "Oh it never comes up", well it does sometimes. The bio section is very basic, it wants to make sure you know a little about a lot. QR, you're right, is hard. There was only a little geometry and trig on there, (know your identities... I wish I did), know about the inverse identities and what they do, and be very good at algebra. It helps if you just think things through logically in this section, for example I solved 2 algbera problems, one where you're given a dollar amount, and you know there's 2 less quarters than dimes. I just started picking answer choices and did it the old fashioned way. Same deal with another stem starting, "The sum of 3 integers =154. If the second is 10 more than the first..." Just plug and chug... I'm bad at math so my ways rarely work and when they do, they don't make sense to anyone else lol. GC and OC are very fair, it's exactly what you see out of the book in destroyer. I got at least 3 NMR and spectroscopy questions in the OC section, 1 IR, 2 H NMR, and 1 CNMR. Do not forget about these.

Thanks for all the kind words! Got my 2x2 pictures for VCU and Pitt today and I'm done!!!

Jun 8, 2009
Status
I had the all kaplan course materials, BB, flashcards, etc obviously, and also the book that's sold in book stores, with the white stripe for the DAT. I never cracked the bio section of the big book once. I just went over all the bio in the BB during class and a couple times after the class was over, did all the bio flashcards and some questions from destroyer. Bio is random, I thought I was getting my ass kicked by this section the entire time, lol. What helped me most I think was just solidifying concepts that are in cell bio, genetics and physiology. I was very good with the endocrine system (can't wait for the full class this semester!), very good with respiration (know what, when, where and why, you don't need to know all the steps of glycolysis or each step of the Kreb's cycle), BE FAMILIAR WITH PLANTS AND PS, because I read time and time again on here "Oh it never comes up", well it does sometimes. The bio section is very basic, it wants to make sure you know a little about a lot. QR, you're right, is hard. There was only a little geometry and trig on there, (know your identities... I wish I did), know about the inverse identities and what they do, and be very good at algebra. It helps if you just think things through logically in this section, for example I solved 2 algbera problems, one where you're given a dollar amount, and you know there's 2 less quarters than dimes. I just started picking answer choices and did it the old fashioned way. Same deal with another stem starting, "The sum of 3 integers =154. If the second is 10 more than the first..." Just plug and chug... I'm bad at math so my ways rarely work and when they do, they don't make sense to anyone else lol. GC and OC are very fair, it's exactly what you see out of the book in destroyer. I got at least 3 NMR and spectroscopy questions in the OC section, 1 IR, 2 H NMR, and 1 CNMR. Do not forget about these.

Thanks for all the kind words! Got my 2x2 pictures for VCU and Pitt today and I'm done!!!
Thanks a lot for the clarifications. :thumbup:

OP
S

Sublimize23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
THe best piece of advice that was given to me for the QR section is if you know something's going to take a long time, or don't know how, make your best guess, mark it and forget about it. Come back if there's time. Just use your time wisely, it goes VERY quick. Focus on getting the ones you do know, right. Then you're set.