DAT Done (8/31/08) - Full Break Down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dmitry Malayev

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well after studying for 3 months straight on average 4 hours a day i finally took my DATs this morning and i'm slightly happy but i thought i would do better on certain section. Anyways i hope my grades are good enough to get it, what do you guys think:

PAT: 21
QR: 16
RC: 20
BIO: 20
GC: 23
OC: 19
TS: 21
AA: 20

GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.6
BCP: 3.45

So what do you guys think of the scores, i'm a Math Major and really was amazed on how little time i had for Math, if i had more time i would have done a whole lot better.

The BREAKDOWN:

PAT: I did reviewed how to do this sections once, did TopScore twice and got 21 the first time and 22 the second time around. I'm actually naturally very good in PAT, i did not study much for it, i find it quite easy and don't know what to recommend. But i remember my friend doing Crack DAT PAT and i must admit it was good for the PAT. Keyholes were extremely easy, as well as Cube Counting, & Paper Folding (They were extremely similar to TopScore). Top Front End and Whole Punching wasn't too bad but TopScore was a lot easier, i would do CDP for PAT on an overall bases. Angles weren't as bad, definitely requires some luck but not as bad as i thought, very similar to CDP or TopScore.

QR:
I'm good in Math, i can't believe i did bad. The Math wasn't too bad, but timing really killed me. I didn't study much for Math seeing as how i knew most of the problems but i should have practiced timing myself, which i didn't. If you can do Kaplan and time yourself you should be straight with the Math, the DAT Destroyer is also pretty decent for Math but not the best. Math is not too hard, well atleast not for me, just not enough time. My major in mathematics is Calculus so all of the Trig and Physics questions along with Geometry were easy, the Prob & Stat questions slowed me down a little and i think i should have skipped them and done them at the end, i would have done better. Use anything you can for this section and make sure to time yourself.

RC: Didn't study it at all. I was surprised seeing as how English is my second language that i scored as high as i did. It was straight forward read the passage and answer the questions, not too many tone questions, maybe 1 or 2.

BIO: DAT Destroyer & Cliff's AP Biology are on the money. I give all my credit to the DAT Destroyer and Cliff's AP Biology for that score. It was my weakest section and i'm happy wit the score. DAT Destroyer really explains everything and is great for knowing everything and Cliff's AP Biology i used as reference for more deeper knowledge and better understanding of the subjects i was weak on.

GC: Again, DAT Destroyer on the money for this section. I actually thought i did better in GC, i knew it inside out thanks solely to the DAT Destroyer. I didn't use anything else but Destroyer. I did do some Kaplan Practice Exams for GChem but they did not improve in my ability to help me understand the subject. Go with Destroyer.

OC:
DAT Destroyer & Kaplan Blue Book for the most part that was consisted of my studying for Organic Chemistry. My strongest subjects like NMR and Spec didn't even hit on the DAT, but whatever not all of us can be so lucky. I'm extremely good in Mechanisms and OChem 2 specifically but the DAT did not have that many reactions, maybe 3-5 max, and most of OC on DAT was OChem 1. I would buy the DAT Destroyer and also use an Organic Chem book or notes along with it.

Recommendations:

DAT Destroyer:
Must buy, it was my primary studying guide and i wouldn't have done as good without it. GChem, OChem, and BIO on the money.

Cliff's AP Biology: For all those weak in Bio, this is the best thing out there next to the Destroyer.

Kaplan:
You can do without it, it's not enough for BIO and it's just not gonna get you 20's in my opinion. But if you have extra money it's not a bad buy.

TopScore:
Very good software for practicing time, has all the features you need. Explanations aren't that good but for the most part i would buy it for a little extra knowledge but primarily for the timing portion.

Achiever: Do not waste your money. The software does not have any good features like TopScore, like pausing or being able to pace yourself. It's way too hard and just unnecessary. I would not recommend this software to anyone. It has good explanations for problems that will never hit the DAT. I feel like this was the worst $50 i spend and it did not help me at all for the DAT.

Well i hope this helps guys, enjoy and thanks for all the help on SDN, i'll keep in touch. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Nice scores...however for people reading trying to figure out what materials to purchase, I'd take his recommendations as just that...recommendations. Obviously everyone has their own studying style, and yours obviously worked for you. Hopefully people look at enough threads to see working trends because I think you definitely have your spot at one far end of the studying spectrum. Regardless, good job.

very good, you should def get in..
so for orgo, would you recommend really nailing home the concepts taught in orgo 1??

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent job!..You'll definitely get in with those scores.

What reading comp passages did you get?

that's cool how you got 21 for TS since I scored TS 20 after getting 20, 23, 20 in the science sections.

What the heck, I want my 21!!!! kk

that's cool how you got 21 for TS since I scored TS 20 after getting 20, 23, 20 in the science sections.

What the heck, I want my 21!!!! kk

You got me!

I think it's based on which test you took, because since tests are different some may be harder then others so the grade scaling may be weighed differently depending on the exam.

Excellent job!..You'll definitely get in with those scores.

What reading comp passages did you get?

I had something about Calcium which i don't remember but basically everything on what it does. Also had a passage on DNA and
Brain Usage for Language.

You got me!

I think it's based on which test you took, because since tests are different some may be harder then others so the grade scaling may be weighed differently depending on the exam.

yea I think each test has diff. scale also, it just sucks that somehow I am lacking that 1 point from the TS. :laugh: oh well, good luck with everything!

Thanks everyone. And as far as the Organic Chem comment, yeah i would study and know Organic Chemistry 1 more then 2. I knew 2 inside out, mechanisms and reactions but was weak on the first portion of Organic Chemistry. That's why i got a 19 on OC.

Yea RUSSIAN BEAR, that's what I'm talking about. Hope I got a good post for you then!

Dimitry is da man!!! Shoulda studied more for math dude!! But I am so happy for you!! -Di:thumbup:

oh wow english is my second language for me and we have pretty much similar scores! (my thread is posted just a few down from yours :) )
and i feel you about that QR.. i'm usually real good at math too and not studied but u know what happend teehee, good luck to you!

good luck in your applications!!! you should get some interviews:D

What do you mean Orgo Chem 1? I'm not familiar with this designation, if not reactions then what does it consist of?

Thanks

What do you mean Orgo Chem 1? I'm not familiar with this designation, if not reactions then what does it consist of?

Thanks

You usually take 2 semesters worth of Organic Chemistry in College.

They are usually referred to as:
Organic Chemistry I (1st Semester)
Organic Chemistry II (2nd Semester)