DAT done 8/5/10.... Computer froze need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

victorysmiles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT (second attempt) Aug 05 2010 in Metarie, LA. Everything started off good, breezed through the sciences, not a problem, and nailed PAT! (It was easier than the computer practice tests through Kaplan and Crack the DAT, not sure why). So after my braek feeling good about everything I started my RC. Midway through the computer froze not allowing me to answer the questions, move next or previous, or scroll the passage. I thought it might have just needed a minute so I waited about 45 secs before walking out to ask for help, and when I did so the lady was in a conversation and took her sweet dear old time. I lost a total of 5 minutes maybe more and broke my concentration (I probably didn't get a single answer after that right). The same thing happend in QR, this time a man told me that my time had just ran out which actually I had 7 minutes left, so after a 10 minute arguement he finally let me go back in and finish. After the guy running the prometric center basically refused to write a report and/or give me a copy regarding any of this. :mad: My scores were as follows:

Second attempt
PA: 23
QR: 19
RC: 17:mad: FML
Bio: 22
OC:22
GC: 21
TS: 22
AA: 20

Previous attempt (not bad for no prep)
PA: 19
QR: 16
RC: 17
Bio: 17
OC:19
GC: 19
TS: 18
AA: 18

I didn't study for the first attempt studied 6 weeks for the second. I am a second time applicant to most schools, recieving interviews at 3 schools last year. MS Nova and LSU. I was the 1st alternate at University of Mississippi Dental program. there average DAT score is around 18 for there entry class, but the average GPA is 3.7. I called ADA to ask about the procedure for this situation and they said I could retake the test at any available seat time available.

My problem is (1) I am going out of town for the next two weeks, and wont return until school classes start. I will have minimal time to study on my trip and probably would forget some info by the time I could take it again. (2) the sciences are the highest I have ever recieved including all practice tests and I am unsure If I can recieve the same scores again in OC,GC, and Bio. Is it possible to make them the same or higher... yes, but its also possible to score lower. I am sure I could do better in OR and RC is my worst section anyway maybe raise it to a 19 or 20. If I retake my first scores are voided.

Should I retake? Just looking for some advice GPA 3.55, science 3.59

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would not retake it. Your scores are great and combined with gpa you shouldn't have a problem this cycle. However, I have heard that certain schools take RC into consideration more so than others, so it may be a good idea to check out the minimums for the schools to which you're applying.

First of all, I'm terribly sorry that this happened to you!!!:(

I had to deal with some technical difficulties as well but not to this extreme!

You have an amazing score right now, and I am pretty sure you could have done much better 22+ AA.

I'd say, go for it. Bite the bullet and ace the DAT!

Could you not postpone the trip out of town? Maybe if you could do that, then use that time to study and ace the test.

Anyway, good luck with whatever decision you make! Again, I'm sorry that you got screwed over! I'm wishing for the best for you!:xf:

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I really dont want to take it again, but I feel obligated for person satisfaction. A 20 will get me in MS (in-state applicant)... no im not a red neck lol, but I dont think a 20 will do the job at Nove or LSU. I read somewhere that they will let you retake just the sections that froze up, can anyone verify this? Did a search, but nothing came up!