DAT done 8/6/11! & summary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frances362002

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PA 29
QR 30
RC 22
Bio 28
GC 29
OC 25

TS 27
AA 27

I took 3 Topscore Pro mock tests, 1 sample test by ADA, and 1 Kaplan mock test. My scores in those mock tests were around 19-23. So I did much better on the real one, thank God.

Now I'll go through how I thought of the DAT, section by section. Hopefully it'll be helpful to those of you who are taking it before school starts!

PA: Easier than Crack DAT PAT. I was worrying about the angle ranking the week before the test, because sometimes I got as low as 9 out of 15 in the angle ranking part. But on the real test, there were only 3 angle questions which I wasn't quite sure of. I've used Kaplan CD and Crack DAT PAT to study for PA. I only got the King version (5 tests) of Crack DAT PAT because the other two versions were way too expensive. I think 5 tests are pretty sufficient already.

QR: I didn't study much for this section. I don't mean to brag but I've always been good at math, so... Anyways, I noticed Chad recently put up some videos for math as well, and they are free for now. So maybe check those out! I watched the one on probability, but the problem on probability in the real test was very easy, not as complicated as the ones he taught in the video.

RC: I used Crack DAT Reading to study for this section (well, this was the only material I could find for reading). I started trying out the S&D method 2 weeks before the test; it sometimes raised my score but sometimes lowered it too. On the real test, I used S&D on my first passage, and I used up more time than I should (24 min). So I switched to simply read the passage and then answer the questions on the last two passages. I think S&D might be good for those who could stay very calm during tests, because sometimes you just can't find the keyword and that scares me!! Oh, and one more thing, two of the 3 passages were on science, and the third was on something else.

Science:
I used Kaplan and Destroyer for all sciences, and Chad's videos for orgo. Chad is amazing in explaining stuff and drilling the ideas into you!! Destroyer was a good source for practicing problems. Couldn't have done it without either of them!
There were some lab/technique questions in the Bio section on the real test, which I didn't go over in my study (I should have!!). I vaguely remember that info from Biochem class, and I made a guess and moved on. And luckily, there were only two questions on taxonomy (for which I got only 1 out of 10 right while I was doing Destroyer).
Gen Chem basically involved mostly calculation problems and then some simple questions that don't require calculation. Kaplan did a pretty good job in covering all you need to know for Gen Chem.
I studied my ass off for Ochem because I didn't do well when I took the course in college. But it turned out the DAT only tests you basic knowledges. So just know the major reactions and the major mechanisms. Don't need to go into too much detail. But yeah, my score on the DAT for Ochem was lower than those for Bio and Gen Chem, I think it's because I spent too much time in the beginning and was rushing at the end. But the questions in Ochem were not hard, so I guess I made some silly mistakes.

YAY! Finally done with it. I studied for 3 months and 8 days, but I worked part-time meanwhile. I remember reading someone's post saying that you know you're ready when you get tired of studying and just want to get the test over with. That was how I felt two days before the test and then I knew I was ready.

So, since I finally got my freedom back, if you guys have any questions on studying or on the test, just post here! I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Good luck to you all! :>

Members don't see this ad.

wow, you guys need to relax. I don't think somebody would go through all this work to fabricate a report. I say Congrats to the person. Good job

Then you really don't know people. I'm not sure what his motive was, but not everyone on here is honest about their score. Thats just a fact, and I'ma call them out. Theres no place for that here

nondescriptive ~
there is a difference between someone ACTUALLY working in the CIA and someone who just submitted their application to work in some branch in government.

Your cousin doesn't work for the CIA, if he did:
1) you wouldn't know about it
2) he wouldn't be processing "fake" DAT images from his cousin over the web, and..
3) he wouldn't be replaying back via AIM (or email) or whatever the findings of the "processed" image... too much evidence against him that he sits around and doesn't do any real work.... are you kidding me?

To OP,
Congratulations, you are in the top 0.01% of the nation (GPA and DAT wise)

I've been trying to keep off of this website for a bit now to get more study time in, but I found it necessary to come back on and yell at some of you fools!

That photo is obviously real and it looks like it was taken with a cell-phone (hence, the pixelation) and OBVIOUSLY the numbers won't line up if the paper was folded in anyway or crinkled before having its picture taken.

I can't believe how ridiculous you guys can be sometimes. Congratulate OP and move on with your lives. When you don't score as high, we'll know it's because you're busy investigating someone much smarter than you.

Sheesh.

PS. OP, Congratulations. Enjoy the rest of your life! You've worked hard and got what you deserved. GO CELEBRATE!

Members don't see this ad :)
Then you really don't know people. I'm not sure what his motive was, but not everyone on here is honest about their score. Thats just a fact, and I'ma call them out. Theres no place for that here

It's a good thing to call out these low life losers who are trying to pull a scam on us. Otherwise, congratulations by gullible fools will only provide positive reinforcement for others to pull the same stunt.

It's obvious this douche had this premeditated all along. And it's not a coincidence that he has disappeared altogether after being exposed. The analysis by Double Bonded is very compelling. To make it conclusive we will have to perform a similar analysis on some legit score reports from other threads to confirm that the columns are aligned in a straight line.

Good work by Double Bonded (our SDN CSI agent), otherwise this OP chump would be laughing his ass off as we give him our undeserved congrats, instead of hiding in a cave which he is doing right now.

nondescriptive ~
there is a difference between someone ACTUALLY working in the CIA and someone who just submitted their application to work in some branch in government.

Your cousin doesn't work for the CIA, if he did:
1) you wouldn't know about it
2) he wouldn't be processing "fake" DAT images from his cousin over the web, and..
3) he wouldn't be replaying back via AIM (or email) or whatever the findings of the "processed" image... too much evidence against him that he sits around and doesn't do any real work.... are you kidding me?

To OP,
Congratulations, you are in the top 0.01% of the nation (GPA and DAT wise)

I never said

1) he was James Bond; and not every position requires anonymity; they'd prefer it. And
2) I never said he was doing this at work; it was midnight when I posted it. And
3) you don't know what your talking about, basically. You're drawing assumptions that looks photoshopped.

That photo is obviously real and it looks like it was taken with a cell-phone (hence, the pixelation) and OBVIOUSLY the numbers won't line up if the paper was folded in anyway or crinkled before having its picture taken.

Yeah, that paper looked like it was folded and crinkled as you say blind man. :cool:

Why don't you go back and take a look at it (Post #16). It looks pretty clean in the percentile column.

NOTE TO SELF: When photoshopping a score report, print out the report and take pics of it with a cellphone cam to mask the exif data. That way, you can hide your trace and blame the poor quality on the cell phone O_O . Seriously though, double bonded's work is more convincing than the image.

NOTE TO SELF: When photoshopping a score report, print out the report and take pics of it with a cellphone cam to mask the exif data. That way, you can hide your trace and blame the poor quality on the cell phone O_O . Seriously though, double bonded's work is more convincing than the image.
Actually, he did that, but it still registered as a photoshop of a photoshop, or at least thats what I was told.

Actually, he did that, but it still registered as a photoshop of a photoshop, or at least thats what I was told.

Ah, he must have messed up. He should have taken a picture of the photoshop of the photoshop. The exif data will then only reveal the camera's information. It sounds like a lot of hard work but free marketing > *

I can now kind of understand why some people would stoop this low. They study hard for a few months while getting jealous and hopeful as they read score reports of people scoring 22+ along with the intentions of providing a kick ass score report/advice when it's their turn to report. Then they take the exam, perform horribly, feel depressed, and decide to fabricate their scores as a way of building self-esteem for their insecurities in addition to living vicariously as though they actually performed as they had desired.

Members don't see this ad :)
We know someone will score a 27, but his scores looked suspicious to me; I know the scoring system and its impossible to get a 27 with that many misses. You can only miss 2 or 3 problems to get a 27. That 25 in O-chem alone says he missed 2, plus a another in bio or g-chem. The guy you were referring to-Taylor-had 30's, which makes him very convincing. I generally would never question another SDN veracity but a 29 on PAT and 27 on AA?? come'on man, the OP musta been injected with ALZ-112 from Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I guess I'm a good B.S. detector and my suspicions were confirmed.

Look at this scoring guide; all scoring guides will be pretty "SIMILAR".

scor30.jpg

Attachments

• scor30.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
This kind of makes me not want to score a 27 AA (like I ever will), because no one would ever believe me if I did... ha ha

This guy: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=753774 scored 27 AA and no one accused him of faking a score report...his are in the 100% percentile too..... ooooooo......i'm feeding the fire!
And Taylor, if you look at his score and compare it to the guy you posted, the sectional scores for the sciences are identical, like he copied and pasted it over. Really, both guys are going to have the identical numbers for AA but sections are different? 22, 25, 28, 29, 30. I think you solved it for us Taylor, GOOD JOB!!!!!

I don't know if the scores are legit or not, but you're analysis of his TS score is incorrect. The OP claimed a 28 in bio -one wrong, a 29 in GC - perfect score, a 25 in orgo- 2 wrong, giving them 3 wrong and a 27.

No, read what I wrote again. If you use the guide then he would have gotten a 26, not 27. Either way, thats more plausible than his score numbers being exactly the same as another guy who had 27.

Sure, if you use your chart they would have gotten a 26 on TS. Your chart doesn't match up exactly with every version though. For example you cannot score a 29 in GC on your version and the OP scored a 29 in GC. However, we know the charts vary slightly a 29 in GC is perfectly valid as a score.

If you look at the practice DAT chart for 2007 DAT you can get a 27 by getting 3 wrong. Again, I don't know enough about photoshop or whatever to determine if the score is fake or not. But your TS analysis does not qualify as proof the OP is lying.

Actually if you read again, I said it was totally plausible for him to get a 27 with two or three misses. the question again is how many misses, but I guess we'll never know. That was only part of my argument, and it alone does not suffice to invalidate his score, thats why I included the other evidence as well.

I never said

1) he was James Bond; and not every position requires anonymity; they'd prefer it. And
2) I never said he was doing this at work; it was midnight when I posted it. And
3) you don't know what your talking about, basically. You're drawing assumptions that looks photoshopped.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so im the one drawing assumptions here lol

None of your posts have provided any meaningful contributions to this thread, why do you keep posting?

Like the saying goes "hatters gonna hate".... I think I just understood what that really meant.

To OP, on behalf of SDN, I apologize for what some of these guys are putting you through. Most of around here aren't so jealous when others out-perform us, matter of fact, we applaud them for being over-achievers. Again, congratulations on that awesome performance.

We know someone will score a 27, but his scores looked suspicious to me; I know the scoring system and its impossible to get a 27 with that many misses. You can only miss 2 or 3 problems to get a 27. That 25 in O-chem alone says he missed 2, plus a another in bio or g-chem. The guy you were referring to-Taylor-had 30's, which makes him very convincing. I generally would never question another SDN veracity but a 29 on PAT and 27 on AA?? come'on man, the OP musta been injected with ALZ-112 from Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I guess I'm a good B.S. detector and my suspicions were confirmed.

scor30.jpg

heres the problem with your "logic".... There is no way for you to know the actual scoring system for EACH EXAM version (since each exam version has its own scoring system). Some, you miss 2-3 and you end up with a 25-26 score, others you can miss 3-4 and be in that same 25-26 range (similar but never the same).

There was a PDF floading around a couple of months ago (from ADA) that showed score distributions from 2010..... If I remember correctly, 8 people or so scored above 27AA. Its an extremely uncommon event, but it does happen from time to time.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so im the one drawing assumptions here lol

None of your posts have provided any meaningful contributions to this thread, why do you keep posting?

Like the saying goes "hatters gonna hate".... I think I just understood what that really meant.

To OP, on behalf of SDN, I apologize for what some of these guys are putting you through. Most of around here aren't so jealous when others out-perform us, matter of fact, we applaud them for being over-achievers. Again, congratulations on that awesome performance.
Really? no evidence? HAHAHAHA, the OP is gone; why do you keep posting? REALLY? Him and the other guy with 27 have the exact same scores? So a photoshopped picture and an exact set of score is not evidence. Maybe we should rethink about invading Afghanistan.

You did state that, however you also stated in your first sentence stated it's impossible to get a 27 with that many misses, however looking at a chart pretty much confirms that with a 28 in bio a 29 in GC and a 25 in GC you can get easily get only 3 misses.

The only other evidence in that post is that the OP scores are the same but distributed differntly as another poster (I'm ignoring the picture just because I don't know anything about photoshop).

posted by DentalWorks: "by evidence... do you mean the cousin who works for CVS photoshop? (sorry, "CIA")"

No, I meant your mother who works at Dairy Queen.

Pretty sure they are serious....... I hate to think someone is lying, I especially don't understand the motive...... But I also have to admit first thing I thought when I saw the 29 PAT was "no way".......... I hope this guy/girl is for real and we're just being hyper-competitive spaz's, but then again it really does seem fishy.....

No one has mentioned this yet but the first thing that jumped out at me before the picture was even posted was the "100th" percentile....... correct me if I am wrong but isn't that mathematically impossible. In "Percentiles" unlike "percentages" there is no 100. It esssentially means that you scored higher than yourself as I understand it. QR is not my strong suit so I could be very mistaken, but that's the first thing that jumped out at me that didn't make sense. :confused:

100 percentile is possible as far as I know because the percentile rankings are from previous data. It just means you did better than any of the students who were ranked before you.

scor30.jpg

this is totes unrelated but where;d u get that score sheet from? can i use that on the 2009 ADA to grade myself?

Pretty sure they are serious....... I hate to think someone is lying, I especially don't understand the motive...... But I also have to admit first thing I thought when I saw the 29 PAT was "no way".......... I hope this guy/girl is for real and we're just being hyper-competitive spaz's, but then again it really does seem fishy.....

No one has mentioned this yet but the first thing that jumped out at me before the picture was even posted was the "100th" percentile....... correct me if I am wrong but isn't that mathematically impossible. In "Percentiles" unlike "percentages" there is no 100. It esssentially means that you scored higher than yourself as I understand it. QR is not my strong suit so I could be very mistaken, but that's the first thing that jumped out at me that didn't make sense. :confused:

No. You're wrong. I'll correct you. The percentil represents the percentage of people who you have done better than or AS well. So if ten people took the DAT, and all of them got and 18AA; they would all be in the 100th percentile. Not only is it possible to be in the 100th percentile. It's impossible for someone not to be

To OP, on behalf of SDN, I apologize for what some of these guys are putting you through. Most of around here aren't so jealous when others out-perform us, matter of fact, we applaud them for being over-achievers. Again, congratulations on that awesome performance.[/QUOTE]

+1. I almost always take people's score reportings at face value anyway. I would hate it if I worked my tail off and put up 27 and got no recognition, or even worse insults.

Gosh, calm down guys.

First of all, a big thank you to those who believed there're honest people in the world.

Secondly, I took a picture of the report using my iphone, then I transferred it onto my computer, and then I blacked out my name and DENTPIN using photoshop, because I don't want to black them out on the actual paper. (Why would I ruin my only copy of the report?!)

Thirdly, I do not understand why some pple think there're others that want to fake their score? You are not the admission committee, and I have no motive to impress you.

Lastly, I opened this post because I wanted to share my experience and maybe help those who are still preparing for the test. As you can see from the number of posts I have, I did not post much before the test. I only looked at other people's threads. And I was very grateful to those who have shared their tips and experiences, and now I want to do however little that I can to pay back to this forum.

Hope this clarified the matter a bit. Again, if you don't believe it, I'm under no obligation to prove anything to you. Thank you!

You guys are splitting hairs over plausible section scores with the number incorrect. The bottom line is his percentile column does not align in a straight line as Double Bonded's analysis clearly shows. That's the proof in the pudding. How the hell can you refute that? Every other column and margin lines up in a straight frickin' line regardless of what the angle of perspective is or whether there are creases/folds in the paper -- they all line up in a straight line except the percentile column which is the dead giveaway. End of story. Period. Guilty as charged.

Gosh, calm down guys.

First of all, a big thank you to those who believed there're honest people in the world.

Secondly, I took a picture of the report using my iphone, then I transferred it onto my computer, and then I blacked out my name and DENTPIN using photoshop, because I don't want to black them out on the actual paper. (Why would I ruin my only copy of the report?!)

Thirdly, I do not understand why some pple think there're others that want to fake their score? You are not the admission committee, and I have no motive to impress you.

Lastly, I opened this post because I wanted to share my experience and maybe help those who are still preparing for the test. As you can see from the number of posts I have, I did not post much before the test. I only looked at other people's threads. And I was very grateful to those who have shared their tips and experiences, and now I want to do however little that I can to pay back to this forum.

Hope this clarified the matter a bit. Again, if you don't believe it, I'm under no obligation to prove anything to you. Thank you!

OWNEDDDDDDDDD

cia my @ss

wow, you guys need to relax. I don't think somebody would go through all this work to fabricate a report. I say Congrats to the person. Good job

There's been 2-3 I can remember in the past years. People analyzed and photoshoped the hell out of it and they were indeed fake...

There's been 2-3 I can remember in the past years. People analyzed and photoshoped the hell out of it and they were indeed fake...

Yeah. I've seen bad photoshop jobs on SDN before. Crimson11 was busted last year but it was an obvious fake. This one looks legit to me. Although I have no idea why somebody would go through the trouble of photoshopping their score report when they could have put a scrap of paper over their personal info. Or just not include it in the photo.

Last edited:
Right, he's gonna insult my other family member and I'm gonna take it. Ha!

If you have an issue with a persons post, then report the post and it will be dealt with. Do not insult other members on SDN as it violates SDN's terms of service agreement. This goes for every member here on the forum as well. Also, as lemoncurry said, if you have nothing nice nor constructive to say, please stop posting and go outside for a jog.

If you have an issue with a persons post, then report the post and it will be dealt with. Do not insult other members on SDN as it violates SDN's terms of service agreement. This goes for every member here on the forum as well. Also, as lemoncurry said, if you have nothing nice nor constructive to say, please stop posting and go outside for a jog.

Seriously guys :( this is no way for future dentists to act! You should be ashamed :oops:

Even if it is fake, WHO CARES!!!!

Thanks for the informative breakdown, and congrats on your impressive feat, OP. :thumbup: Best of luck during the admissions process.

Srsly! Great Job! Plus i wouldnt be THAT surprised someone would get this high of a score because I'm sure every dental school has AT LEAST one dental student that just blew the score out of the water....and there are 61 accredited dental schools in the US, so there would be AT LEAST 61 students that Got a 25+ DAT score! and how many students actually post their 25+ scores on SDN...not many

Congrats on your awesome DAT scores!!! :) :) I'm planning to retake mine and you are my motivation!

BTW, people can be quite amusing, huh... reading this whole thread was like watching a movie :D

Insane scores! You kind of just bumped everyone one spot down the list of admissions for their dream dental schools.