DAT done 8/6/11! & summary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frances362002

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PA 29
QR 30
RC 22
Bio 28
GC 29
OC 25

TS 27
AA 27

I took 3 Topscore Pro mock tests, 1 sample test by ADA, and 1 Kaplan mock test. My scores in those mock tests were around 19-23. So I did much better on the real one, thank God.

Now I'll go through how I thought of the DAT, section by section. Hopefully it'll be helpful to those of you who are taking it before school starts!

PA: Easier than Crack DAT PAT. I was worrying about the angle ranking the week before the test, because sometimes I got as low as 9 out of 15 in the angle ranking part. But on the real test, there were only 3 angle questions which I wasn't quite sure of. I've used Kaplan CD and Crack DAT PAT to study for PA. I only got the King version (5 tests) of Crack DAT PAT because the other two versions were way too expensive. I think 5 tests are pretty sufficient already.

QR: I didn't study much for this section. I don't mean to brag but I've always been good at math, so... Anyways, I noticed Chad recently put up some videos for math as well, and they are free for now. So maybe check those out! I watched the one on probability, but the problem on probability in the real test was very easy, not as complicated as the ones he taught in the video.

RC: I used Crack DAT Reading to study for this section (well, this was the only material I could find for reading). I started trying out the S&D method 2 weeks before the test; it sometimes raised my score but sometimes lowered it too. On the real test, I used S&D on my first passage, and I used up more time than I should (24 min). So I switched to simply read the passage and then answer the questions on the last two passages. I think S&D might be good for those who could stay very calm during tests, because sometimes you just can't find the keyword and that scares me!! Oh, and one more thing, two of the 3 passages were on science, and the third was on something else.

Science:
I used Kaplan and Destroyer for all sciences, and Chad's videos for orgo. Chad is amazing in explaining stuff and drilling the ideas into you!! Destroyer was a good source for practicing problems. Couldn't have done it without either of them!
There were some lab/technique questions in the Bio section on the real test, which I didn't go over in my study (I should have!!). I vaguely remember that info from Biochem class, and I made a guess and moved on. And luckily, there were only two questions on taxonomy (for which I got only 1 out of 10 right while I was doing Destroyer).
Gen Chem basically involved mostly calculation problems and then some simple questions that don't require calculation. Kaplan did a pretty good job in covering all you need to know for Gen Chem.
I studied my ass off for Ochem because I didn't do well when I took the course in college. But it turned out the DAT only tests you basic knowledges. So just know the major reactions and the major mechanisms. Don't need to go into too much detail. But yeah, my score on the DAT for Ochem was lower than those for Bio and Gen Chem, I think it's because I spent too much time in the beginning and was rushing at the end. But the questions in Ochem were not hard, so I guess I made some silly mistakes.

YAY! Finally done with it. I studied for 3 months and 8 days, but I worked part-time meanwhile. I remember reading someone's post saying that you know you're ready when you get tired of studying and just want to get the test over with. That was how I felt two days before the test and then I knew I was ready.

So, since I finally got my freedom back, if you guys have any questions on studying or on the test, just post here! I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Good luck to you all! :>

Members don't see this ad.

Wow amazing scores. Well done!

Can you comment on how you did so well in bio? Did you have a strong bio background? Basically what did you find most useful in studying and did the destroyer help a lot?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
To FROGGBUSTER:
I took the ADA sample test in the early process so that I know if the study materials were a good fit.
Then I took one of the 3 Topscore Pro sample tests 2 weeks before the test, to see which area I need to do some last-minute touch-up. Finally, I took the other two of the Topscore Pro sample tests and the Kaplan sample test 6 days before the test; so basically one test every other day. This helped me get a feel of the timing and get used to sitting in front of a computer for 4 hours straight.
Hope that helped! :)

oooooomggggggggg :wow:!!!!!!!!!!

amazing scores!!!!!!!!!! i would be crapping my pants if i were you!

what is your GPA?

To Dew517:
Yes, Destroyer's Bio helped a lot, since it helped ingrain the concepts. Every time I got a question wrong, or even when I got it right but wasn't familiar with one of the answer choices, I would go back to my textbook, do a quick reading, and wrote down notes on the answer page. By the time I got through all of the questions, I've written down notes for almost every major concept. And then 2 weeks before the test, I went back to all the questions I didn't get right the first time, and looked through related notes. And out of those questions if I got them wrong a second time, I'd go back and redo them a second time, until I got all of them right.
Kaplan was not comprehensive, in my opinion. I read it and wrote my notes all over the Kaplan book. So overall I think practice and writing down notes when you practice is the only trick, because Bio is memorization, after all.
Oh, and my background in bio, first of all, I'm not a science major. I only took bio, biochem, cell bio, anatomy, immuno, and physiology. But the 5 upper level bio class have definitely helped me. :)

To Dew517:
Yes, Destroyer's Bio helped a lot, since it helped ingrain the concepts. Every time I got a question wrong, or even when I got it right but wasn't familiar with one of the answer choices, I would go back to my textbook, do a quick reading, and wrote down notes on the answer page. By the time I got through all of the questions, I've written down notes for almost every major concept. And then 2 weeks before the test, I went back to all the questions I didn't get right the first time, and looked through related notes. And out of those questions if I got them wrong a second time, I'd go back and redo them a second time, until I got all of them right.
Kaplan was not comprehensive, in my opinion. I read it and wrote my notes all over the Kaplan book. So overall I think practice and writing down notes when you practice is the only trick, because Bio is memorization, after all.
Oh, and my background in bio, first of all, I'm not a science major. I only took bio, biochem, cell bio, anatomy, immuno, and physiology. But the 5 upper level bio class have definitely helped me. :)

Miss, I still don't buy your story :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I totally agree. I asked around and they said this score looks bogus but we will eat our words if post a pic of your score. I guess we must view this with skepticism until a further notice.

To flyingforever:
Science average is an average of the 100 questions, not an average of the 3 scores. It says so on the report.

RCs a little low. Might wanna consider a retake for the next cycle.
Ha, I just learned the QUOTE function. And so yeah, to answer your comment, I wish I could take it a second time without having to go through the other sections again. But I'm applying for the 2012 cycle (I didn't get to take it last summer). So I don't have another chance.

To tayloreve:
My GPA is 4.10 (Our school uses A+, so the highest possible GPA is 4.30).
4.0+ GPA and perfect dat?

I think I want to kill you now. :laugh:

Jk, good job, and congrats... seriously amazing. Thank your biological parents.

Wow dude, simply awesome to the nth degree!

This is the highest score since that one dude from UCLA back in May that I've seen.

As for dental schools, it's not about which school can you get into, but what school do you want to attend. Take your pick bro.

I take back my praise. I sent this picture to a relative at the CIA and he said this image is photoshopped twice actually. Here is what his computer says:

Searching Compression Signatures: (3327 built-in, 0 user(*) )

EXIF.Make / Software EXIF.Model Quality Subsamp Match?
------------------------- ----------------------------------- ---------------- --------------
SW :[Adobe Photoshop ] [Save As 09 ]

NOTE: Photoshop IRB detected
NOTE: EXIF Software field recognized as from editor
Based on the analysis of compression characteristics and EXIF metadata:

ASSESSMENT: Class 1 - Image is processed/edited

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This image is a fraud. And to anyone who thinks about doing this in the future; you're not that smart to get away with it.

guess i won't kill him anymore... shame :D

Here it is, for those of you that asked for a photo of the report.

nondescriptive said:
I take back my praise. I sent this picture to a relative at the CIA and he said this image is photoshopped twice actually. Here is what his computer says:

Searching Compression Signatures: (3327 built-in, 0 user(*) )

EXIF.Make / Software EXIF.Model Quality Subsamp Match?
------------------------- ----------------------------------- ---------------- --------------
SW :[Adobe Photoshop ] [Save As 09 ]

NOTE: Photoshop IRB detected
NOTE: EXIF Software field recognized as from editor
Based on the analysis of compression characteristics and EXIF metadata:

ASSESSMENT: Class 1 - Image is processed/edited

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This image is a fraud. And to anyone who thinks about doing this in the future; you're not that smart to get away with it.

Are you serious bro? Actually when you look at the photo more closely it does look a bit fishy in the percentile column. The decimal points in the 100.0 don't align correctly.

Very interesting.... :laugh:

My cousin told me to not accuse anyone and to not mention where he worked, both of which I did before he told me. And he mentioned nothing about the authenticity of the photo either. I am assuming by what he AIMed me. You guys can decide its authenticity. You guys don't know me and I don't exist.

Are you serious bro? Actually when you look at the photo more closely it does look a bit fishy in the percentile column. The decimal points in the 100.0 don't align correctly.

Could be because there are 5 characters in it instead of 4 and it is centered....

I say, if the OP is for real...congrats, strong work. :thumbup:

To tayloreve:
My GPA is 4.10 (Our school uses A+, so the highest possible GPA is 4.30).

AHHHHHHH! Wow.

good thing you're not applying same cycle as I am! lmao XD

whats your #1 pick for dental school? i'm sure they will be drooling all over you :D

and..

how many hours a day did you study?

Last edited:
If we mention that we know this guy on our apps would it help our chances LOL we can say if u accept me, ill convince him to come on over too LOLOLOL :laugh::laugh: Good job bro, you are a BOSS.

nvm. Amazing job OP.

Last edited:
can we at least know what schools you are applying to so that we all can have a good excuse for not getting in some schools, such as having a 27AA 4.1GPA student taken my spot?

Insane scores. Great Job!!

Can you believe I only got a 20 PAT? :D

http://tinypic.com/r/35aqgbo/7

I think you are correct bro. At first I thought the percentile column would be skewed because of the perspective angle on a photo. However, the whole column should be skewed along a straight line as seen in the column of the subject sections on the left margin.

I think you are correct bro. At first I thought the percentile column would be skewed because of the perspective angle on a photo. However, the whole column should be skewed along a straight line as seen in the column of the subject sections on the left margin.

I only zoomed so close in to make the line straight. I was more sure after I zoomed back out, that's the .jpeg that's attached at the bottom.

What happened to the OP? Disappeared huh lol? Perhaps he's working on his fake 4.10 GPA transcript.

I just have to say... what a lame ass loser fraud for fabricating a score report. :laugh:

Double Bonded, you are hardcore...but hell.. I believe you Double Bonded. I really didn't think people would stoop this low.

I can't tell if you guys are being serious about the score report being fake....or sarcastic..... o_o

I can't tell if you guys are being serious about the score report being fake....or sarcastic..... o_o

Pretty sure they are serious....... I hate to think someone is lying, I especially don't understand the motive...... But I also have to admit first thing I thought when I saw the 29 PAT was "no way".......... I hope this guy/girl is for real and we're just being hyper-competitive spaz's, but then again it really does seem fishy.....

No one has mentioned this yet but the first thing that jumped out at me before the picture was even posted was the "100th" percentile....... correct me if I am wrong but isn't that mathematically impossible. In "Percentiles" unlike "percentages" there is no 100. It esssentially means that you scored higher than yourself as I understand it. QR is not my strong suit so I could be very mistaken, but that's the first thing that jumped out at me that didn't make sense. :confused:

wow, you guys need to relax. I don't think somebody would go through all this work to fabricate a report. I say Congrats to the person. Good job