1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

DAT done! (For the next 3 months...)

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by annie12, Aug 3, 2011.

1. annie12

Pre-Dental
    I just got home from an 8 AM dat. My scores:

PA 15 (20.3):scared::scared::scared:
    QR 19 (92.9)
    RC 24 (98.0)
    Bio 17 (55.7)
    GC 20 (86.0)
    OC 16 (40.6):mad:
    TS 18 (70.2)
    AA 19 (85.4)

Do I have any chance at interviews? My application was sent out 7/29. My cGPA is 3.71 my sGPA is 3.55.

I'm of course retaking, but that will probably be mid-November. I feel so stupid right now! I was getting 18's and 19's on CDP and 16 on Achiever. I don't know what to do. :confused: Suggestions?

My thoughts on the test:

PA- if you're not naturally good at this you HAVE to use achiever. The test itself is not quite as hard as achiever, but the it's similar types of questions. Example: the TFE in achiever all the answers are the same except they differ by solid/dashed lines. That's how it is in the real thing. Pattern folding was more like achiever--focused less on shading more on shape, but the shape was usually broken up. Ex: 2 triangles came together to form a square. I am definitely going to spend more time with achiever this time and get fast enough so I can do them in 45 min. On the real thing I wanted to "check my answers" more than at home. Ex: at home "oh the answer is D...next!" on the test: "oh the answer is D...(Check)...yeah D." So it takes more time. The computer also lags between questions which is really annoying.

QR- So easy. Skip hard questions. I didn't really do anything for this section. I practiced 2 destroyer tests. The only hard part about this is timing. I'm going to do more just so I can up my score, but I really couldn't believe how easy it was.

RC- easy also. I did 3 CDR tests. I got 18, 21,23. Get used to the type of questions in CDR. The types of passages though is maybe closer to achiever, but it's really easy to find what you need. I have no idea what my first passage was even about but I was still able to answer the questions. I do see how it would be difficult for someone if English is their second language. The question would say: 'Who blocks the door from intruders?' The passage would say: 'the man in the blue suit guards the door from unwanted visitors.' I didn't use any strategies really. I skimmed the passage to know where everything was then read the questions and back to the passage. they felt really short. Watch the clock though.

Sciences- doable. Do all the normal stuff and don't leave your brain in the parking lot and you'll be fine. Other than bio, there really were no surprises. I honestly knew ochem I just completely blanked. There were maybe 1 or 2 questions that I didn't know and knew I never knew, the rest was stuff I knew I knew I just couldn't remember! Know this stuff backward and forward and it won't happen to you!

As everyone says, skip questions that are going to take too long, but be sure to put down an answer! The computer lags between questions, but it really lags between sections so don't get freaked out about that either.

#1 annie12, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Golfguy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, I would re-take. Only do so when you're ready though. Your QR and reading saved your score. I bet if you re-take you will improve dramatically on the sciences.:thumbup:

You still have a chance with those scores though, good luck!

#2 Golfguy, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Yeah, there is a cutoff at most schools for PAT though, but I think if you retake you will definitely do better. I bet it was time management that gave you trouble. Your score is fine except PAT. Its too low but thats easy to improve upon and its like learning to ride a bike, you'll pick it up real fast next time you study for it.

5. Philippines03j

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would say retake.

Work really hard on PAT, BIO, and OCHEM. A few more months of studying can bump your scores up around the 20s.

Like stated....don't retake until you are fully ready. Good luck:thumbup:

6. tayloreve

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Awesome RC score + GPA!

How long did you study for?

7. predentlove

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    How long do you have to wait to be eligible to retake?

Great jobbb =]You can do it! Don't give up =]

8. annie12

Pre-Dental
    the first day i'd be eligible would be november 4. Does anyone know of any schools that don't have cutoffs for PA? i just don't want to be rejected before i can retake it!
    As far as ochem goes (i was getting 20+ on topscore)...i'm not sure what happened. i just couldn't remember anything. I think it was nervousness + the layout/font of the test was slightly disorienting. i think that's why i did so much better after the break. Now i'll be prepared for that!

9. dantemac

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Aw, good job on the first attempt! Unfortunately, as others have said, a re-take is probably in order. The PAT score is low ( below 17) and a lot of schools hold that in high regard.

10. vicsin

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The PAT score stands alone, my friend. It's such a bs section of the test but of course it has something or another to do with your success in the D-school labs (righttt.) Complete bs. But, anyway, you obviously realize you're going to have to get that up to 17-18ish at least, which of course is manageable with time. When you pick your studying back up, do a CDP test everyday. Once you've done all 10, do them again. And then, again. Repeat Achiever as well. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Some of us are not gifted in analyzing cracked out shapes on a computer screen...on a time limit of 60 min for 90 questions. Ugh, so dumb, such BS. Oh angles. Ranking angles that are 3 degrees apart after you just got mind f*cked by 100 science questions and are sweating through all these shapes and figures. Oh boyyyy. Ugh. (I really hate the PAT, I will stop ranting now*).

But yeah, you will improve! It seems the PAT is getting harder. The majority of recent DAT takers have been scoring lower in their PAT than in their CDP averages. I was averaging 20-21/23 on my last one and got an 18 on the real thing. So, you're going to have to kick it into high gear with the PAT. You're already in the cycle. And you are guaranteed to do better on your retake because your current score is very good. Maybe you will kick serious DAT butt and get a late acceptance (plenty of people get off waitlist and your GPA is high so you have a chance of still getting in late with a high retake score). Worst comes to worst, next cycle you can be first in the batch. Take a year off and travel. GL! :xf:

11. TwentyTwelve

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You have a 3.71 GPA....obviously you are a smart kid and know exactly what you need to do to enter dental school...

PAT: Crack DAT...nuff said...Achiever if you feel like crying (not worth it)
    BIO: Cliffs/Barrons/Campbell...plus Destroyer
    OCHEM: ACS OChem and Destroyer

Do this well...and I mean follow this like your creepy college crush and welcome to the 21 AA+ club...

12. Khal87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Where are you applying? I am not super concerned about the PAT, because one of my really good friends got a 15 on PAT and is attending DS this year...
    On the other hand, the OC concerns me... But i can give you some good data to help make the decision, I have the ADEA book and it HAS every stat u can possibly think of... Just ask "dynamo" and I am sure he will attest

13. glo1984

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    +1

14. Dynamo

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Khal87 here will hook you UP with some legit data... :thumbup: