Seenary

10+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Before I begin, props to all that have made contributions to this forum!!!! The site has been very helpful and motivating for me. I promise a full break down. Considering this was the third time I wrote the American DAT (fourth total DAT, wrote the canadian once) I beleive I can provide some helpful information.

First DAT: 17
Second DAT 17
Canadian DAT: 19

My Stats are 3.36GPA and 3.1 Science GPA with very good EC.

Here are the scores:

Pat 22
Quant 18
RC 20
Bio 19
Gen Chem 22
Org 22
TS 20
AA 20

I was honestly aiming for a 22 but I guess you have to shoot for the stars to land in the middle.

PS i am a canadian student

Jun 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Before I begin, props to all that have made contributions to this forum!!!! The site has been very helpful and motivating for me. I promise a full break down. Considering this was the third time I wrote the American DAT (fourth total DAT, wrote the canadian once) I beleive I can provide some helpful information.

First DAT: 17
Second DAT 17
Canadian DAT: 19

My Stats are 3.36GPA and 3.1 Science GPA with very good EC.

Here are the scores:

Pat 22
Quant 18
RC 20
Bio 19
Gen Chem 22
Org 22
TS 20
AA 20

I was honestly aiming for a 22 but I guess you have to shoot for the stars to land in the middle.

PS i am a canadian student
Congratulations! Your persistence paid off with a solid 20/20/22. Enjoy the summer.

Jul 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
congrats!!

do you also have to wait another 3 month before you take canadian DAT after US one? are their any difference in gc, bio or qr session/?

ohdearhopeipass

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
congrats!!

do you also have to wait another 3 month before you take canadian DAT after US one? are their any difference in gc, bio or qr session/?
the canadian dat is only available twice a year. once in the beginning of nov, and one in mid Feb. there is a soap carving portion. it's all written (not on a comp) no QR or Organic chem. chem is easy, bio is ridiculously random and specific (ie. what does beta galactosidase do.... in the lac operon system and other extrememly detailed sh**) but pat is super easy... AND ITS ON PAPER... so you can write all over that.

OP
S

Seenary

10+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Agreed...I dont know what the policy is but i think u can write it both times its held during the year....the bio is also crazy.

What do people think of my chances of getting interviews? I applied to 21 schools.

the canadian dat is only available twice a year. once in the beginning of nov, and one in mid Feb. there is a soap carving portion. it's all written (not on a comp) no QR or Organic chem. chem is easy, bio is ridiculously random and specific (ie. what does beta galactosidase do.... in the lac operon system and other extrememly detailed sh**) but pat is super easy... AND ITS ON PAPER... so you can write all over that.

dentrilla

10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Hey, I'm also a Canadian student. I'm writing the American DAT on Sept29th and debating whether to write the Canadian DAT during Nov. Lets say I do write it, and apply to American schools for the 2011 cycle. Which one do you guys think they would look at? (I know a lot of American schools that accept the Canadian DAT so I'm not sure what they would do) Oh, and I'm not applying to any Canadian schools. Thanks!

OP
S

Seenary

10+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Here is a mini breakdown:

Second Dat:
Pat: 22
RC: 14
QR: 18
Bio: 18
Chem: 19
Orgo: 18
TS: 18
AA: 17

Canadian Dat:
Pat: 21
Bio: 17
Chem: 21
RC: 18

Third DAT:
scores are above

Bio: I studied Destroyer, Cliffs AP, Barrons, Kaplan.....I though i would get higher than a 19. However, i think i had forgotten how random this section was. I got some diagram which I had to label, which I thought was pretty ridiculous.

Chem: destroyer, kaplan, ACS chemistry

Orgo: same as above

RC: i got a crocodile passage which was filled with tonnes of tone questions.

QR: was scoring in the 20s on all the practice tests. I think fatigue kicked in at this point.

PAt: everything i can get my hands on

practice test scores:
TS1--> AA 21 TS 21
TS2 --> AA 22 TS 22
TS3 --> AA 23 TS 23
(bio section of topscore is much easier than the real thing imo)

Achiever i was getting 19-20 TS

As far as the canadian DAt is concerned, I would recommend just sticking with the american one. Many schools prefer seeing scores from the american one, plus i find it is much easier. Doing the RC in 10 less minutes is very challenging and the carving gets scored really hard which i found from personal experience.

jay47

Think Positively!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Status
Dentist
doesn't it bind to the promoter region and block transcription? lol, I don't know if that was right but I vaguely remember something like that from Campbell's....