hockeyboyrw

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Ok so finally after about 3 months of serious studying I can say I'm finally done. In these 3 months I have come here on sdn and read numerous DAT Breakdowns so I want to contribute as well.

To begin, here are the scores
Bio: 23
Gchem: 24
Orgo: 27
RC: 22
QR: 19
PAT: 21
TS: 24
AA: 23

So I'll go section by section

Orgo: First off I started studying about 4-5 months ago because I have not taken orgo 2 yet and it was 2 years since I took orgo 1. So I went on YouTube and watched this man's videos called Mike Christiansen and watched his first semester and 2nd semester organic chem vids. They are excellent and go above and beyond what you need for the DAT. Only downside of course is there is not a lot of practice from him, but if you search his email and email him directly he will email you all of his old exams from previous semesters. So I finally finished all his videos around Aprilish-May. (Hard to fit them in between other classes). I also watched Chad's videos after for Orgo which I believe was great as well and really helped you focus on what was important since some stuff in Organic chem classes isn't necessary to know for the DAT. In addition, after reading numerous posts on here about DAT Destroyer and how it will put you above and beyond for OC I caved in and got that as well in July. Let me say this about DAT Destroyer and I feel like I might get backlash but I just want to possibly save people's expectations when they get the book. Do not expect Destroyer to necessarily teach you Organic Chemistry. It is mostly just practice problems with answers. Yes some of the answers have great explanations, but others are just meh to say the least. In addition I had DAT Bootcamp as well in July and that was helpful in that it simulated the experience, was more difficult and the video explanations to the answers in Orgo are by Dr. Mike Christiansen as well and once again he is fantastic. So to rate the materials for this section:

Mike Christiansen Orgo Videos 10/10 especially if you haven't taken orgo 2 or it's been awhile
Chad's Videos 10/10
Dat Destroyer 7.5/10 Once again don't expect it to "teach you" it's more workbook like and some of the explanations don't make sense or sometimes it is unsatisfactory which IMO happens a lot it forces you to review for yourself

Gchem: This was solely Chad's. Of course I was also taking Gen Chem 2/Analytical over the summer so that kinda reviewed stuff but my schools is weird with Gchem 2, and it's extremely over the top with Mass Balance, Charge Balance, and other weird stuff so it wasn't that much review. Therefore I highly recommend Chad's of course I used DAT Bootcamp for practicing. Dat Destroyer I did like 10 problems from the Gchem section and thought they were over the top so I didn't do them. Chad's and Bootcamp is all you need for this

Ratings: Chad's 10/10; Bootcamp 10/10; Dat Destroyer 5/10 (I didn't use it so maybe I'm biased)

Bio: I used Cliff's AP bio and occasionally my old AP bio text book. I used DAT Bootcamp to simulate the real thing and that was it. I'm a bio major so anything that Cliff's or Bootcamp didn't mention I was hoping to know from that. Again DAT destroyer I did 20 questions thought it was over the top and stopped, I was especially annoyed when most of the time the answer was all of the above. Yes, I understand that you are supposed use the Bio Section of Destroyer as a learning tool, but come on there's got to be better ways to word questions without the answer always being all the above.

Cliff's 9/10 (dry but quick read) Bootcamp 10/10 their bio questions were like mine on the exam; Destroyer 4/10

PAT: Ok so I got the Royal Flush edition of Crack that Pat in December because when I first looked at the material for this stuff I freaked out because I could not get a single one right. I kept using Crack Dat Pat until July when I got Bootcamp (and because for some reason Crack stopped working on my computer). I would say Crack was more realistic on my exam for everything but pattern folding which was way harder than Crack. Bootcamp was way harder than everything except for pattern folding. I never finished a Bootcamp PAT in time but on my DAT I finished with time to review, so take that as you will.

Crack DAT PAT 10/10 because pretty representative and predicted my score right with an average of 21; Bootcamp 9.5/10 yea it's great that it's harder than the real thing for the most part (I always got 19s) but also an inconvenience because it freaks you out.

RC: Only used DAT Bootcamp. I did the Vanilla Method as Ari calls it and just read the whole passage and took notes each paragraph. What is great about Bootcamp is that they updated the website so that it looks more like the DAT and that helps a bit with RC because the question shows up right below the reading so you can read and look to see if what you just read answers that question.

10/10 Bootcamp RC was about the same length. I didn't have any of the "statement is ________ but the reason is _________" questions but it prepared you well

QR: So I came on here so many times and began to spaz people were saying the 2015 DAT was supposed to be so much more stats based and I haven't taken stats. I also blew my money on Organic Odyssey instead of Math Destroyer which everyone here says is a necessity. Thus I assumed this would be my lowest score and it was. However, what I learned from Bootcamp is how to skip questions that just looked long. For example, if it was a wordy problem i just put a random answer and skipped it unless I had time. This saved me on my real DAT because I had a good deal of wordy problems but decent amount of quick easy which allowed me to go back and try some of these. I think I only had two stats problems where one was calculating the mean and variance, and the other was using the Bell Curve to determine how many things would be with this standard deviation.

Dat Bootcamp: 8/10 too many word problems; Dat Destroyer not Math Destroyer: 7/10 would like more thorough explanations for a few but nice to get some problems in.

All and all while I was taking it I thought I rocked the sciences. When I got to PAT I seriously thought I bombed because the pattern folding was ridiculous and I must have guessed on 7-8. Reading my passages were interesting but I had to speed up a bit at the end. QR learn to skip around. So for all of you guys out there that come and read these know that Bootcamp in general is harder so don't let bad scores freak you out too much. Dat Destroyer only worth it for the orgo and probably could get at least a 20-21 with just Chad's videos and Mike Christiansen.

BOOTCAMP Averages (5 exams)
BIO: 24
Gchem: 22
Ochem: 20
RC: 20
PAT: 19

* I keep trying to upload my scores but for some reason it keeps the file size is too big. You can take my word for it for now I guess

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the tips. Did you take the 2009 exam? and if so, how did you do comparatively?

About the Ads

FloorMatt

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Excellent scores for someone who barely used the destroyer. How was your studying like the 2 weeks before your exam? Congrats

Jun 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
insane scores, hope to get exactly those in 2 weeks.

I'm averaging around the same as you in bootcamp (except switch bio and GC scores)..
you had a huge increase in ochem from bootcamp, did you think the real thing was much easier? how would you compare the two?

OP
H

hockeyboyrw

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Excellent scores for someone who barely used the destroyer. How was your studying like the 2 weeks before your exam? Congrats
2nd to last week I redid most of destroyer ochem. I only rewatched a couple sections of Chad's gchem that I needed a refresher. The Saturday, 1 week before ,I simulated a real test on bootcamp by opening the bio gc orgo PAT rc and qr tests in separate tabs. After I finished each section I moved on to the other without looking at the score because as you know in the real one you only see you scores are the end and I wanted to stimulate the real experience of not knowing how I did. The remaining 6 days I just redid old tests on bootcamp and any question I got wrong I looked up.

Try to relax the last week is my advice

OP
H

hockeyboyrw

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the tips. Did you take the 2009 exam? and if so, how did you do comparatively?
Yes I did but only bio pat gchem and orgo and I did each separately (I didn't simulate a test environment). Bio 37/40 although there are a few mistakes in that exam so probably better gchem 30/30 and orgo I got a 19 (I don't remember how many right). After I got that 19 I went over destroyer orgo again. Finally PAT 21 (again don't remember how many right). Science difficulty I'd say was on par

OP
H

hockeyboyrw

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
insane scores, hope to get exactly those in 2 weeks.

I'm averaging around the same as you in bootcamp (except switch bio and GC scores)..
you had a huge increase in ochem from bootcamp, did you think the real thing was much easier? how would you compare the two?
I thought GC was pretty straightforward. Bio was indeed random. I remember on Friday I decided to just briefly look at the taxonomy cheat sheet from Bootcamp and remember seeing on one of the excel tabs a section about paleozoic, menthnozoic or whatever periods and when stuff evolved in each one and I remember saying, "I refuse to learn this crap it's not gonna be on there" well sure enough that one question did come up. Other than that though most stuff was straight forward either in cell, anatomy, development or genetics. So if your decent at those concepts you'll be good for bio meaning 20+, if you're averaging around 21 or up Gchem on BC same thing probably a 20+ if I had to take a gamble and guess your score.

Lastly, in regards to orgo BC I believe was harder for two reasons. One was simply timing. On BC orgo you have 30 minutes no matter what so if you get a question where it asks which one is an enantiomer or diasteriomer or along those lines on BC i couldn't just tell by looking I had to assign R and S which took a while. However, with the real DAT most of the time you are going to finish your bio section with at least 5-10 extra minutes which gives you more time to finish those type of questions. 2nd I didn't see any type of possible rearrangements or "sneaky" questions like BC would give you, but because BC gave those to me I was ready to look for them. Sum it up BC was harder IMO

Aug 28, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Ok so finally after about 3 months of serious studying I can say I'm finally done. In these 3 months I have come here on sdn and read numerous DAT Breakdowns so I want to contribute as well.

To begin, here are the scores
Bio: 23
Gchem: 24
Orgo: 27
RC: 22
PAT: 21
TS: 24
AA: 23

So I'll go section by section

Orgo: First off I started studying about 4-5 months ago because I have not taken orgo 2 yet and it was 2 years since I took orgo 1. So I went on YouTube and watched this man's videos called Mike Christiansen and watched his first semester and 2nd semester organic chem vids. They are excellent and go above and beyond what you need for the DAT. Only downside of course is there is not a lot of practice from him, but if you search his email and email him directly he will email you all of his old exams from previous semesters. So I finally finished all his videos around Aprilish-May. (Hard to fit them in between other classes). I also watched Chad's videos after for Orgo which I believe was great as well and really helped you focus on what was important since some stuff in Organic chem classes isn't necessary to know for the DAT. In addition, after reading numerous posts on here about DAT Destroyer and how it will put you above and beyond for OC I caved in and got that as well in July. Let me say this about DAT Destroyer and I feel like I might get backlash but I just want to possibly save people's expectations when they get the book. Do not expect Destroyer to necessarily teach you Organic Chemistry. It is mostly just practice problems with answers. Yes some of the answers have great explanations, but others are just meh to say the least. In addition I had DAT Bootcamp as well in July and that was helpful in that it simulated the experience, was more difficult and the video explanations to the answers in Orgo are by Dr. Mike Christiansen as well and once again he is fantastic. So to rate the materials for this section:

Mike Christiansen Orgo Videos 10/10 especially if you haven't taken orgo 2 or it's been awhile
Chad's Videos 10/10
Dat Destroyer 7.5/10 Once again don't expect it to "teach you" it's more workbook like and some of the explanations don't make sense or sometimes it is unsatisfactory which IMO happens a lot it forces you to review for yourself

Gchem: This was solely Chad's. Of course I was also taking Gen Chem 2/Analytical over the summer so that kinda reviewed stuff but my schools is weird with Gchem 2, and it's extremely over the top with Mass Balance, Charge Balance, and other weird stuff so it wasn't that much review. Therefore I highly recommend Chad's of course I used DAT Bootcamp for practicing. Dat Destroyer I did like 10 problems from the Gchem section and thought they were over the top so I didn't do them. Chad's and Bootcamp is all you need for this

Ratings: Chad's 10/10; Bootcamp 10/10; Dat Destroyer 5/10 (I didn't use it so maybe I'm biased)

Bio: I used Cliff's AP bio and occasionally my old AP bio text book. I used DAT Bootcamp to simulate the real thing and that was it. I'm a bio major so anything that Cliff's or Bootcamp didn't mention I was hoping to know from that. Again DAT destroyer I did 20 questions thought it was over the top and stopped, I was especially annoyed when most of the time the answer was all of the above. Yes, I understand that you are supposed use the Bio Section of Destroyer as a learning tool, but come on there's got to be better ways to word questions without the answer always being all the above.

Cliff's 9/10 (dry but quick read) Bootcamp 10/10 their bio questions were like mine on the exam; Destroyer 4/10

PAT: Ok so I got the Royal Flush edition of Crack that Pat in December because when I first looked at the material for this stuff I freaked out because I could not get a single one right. I kept using Crack Dat Pat until July when I got Bootcamp (and because for some reason Crack stopped working on my computer). I would say Crack was more realistic on my exam for everything but pattern folding which was way harder than Crack. Bootcamp was way harder than everything except for pattern folding. I never finished a Bootcamp PAT in time but on my DAT I finished with time to review, so take that as you will.

Crack DAT PAT 10/10 because pretty representative and predicted my score right with an average of 21; Bootcamp 9.5/10 yea it's great that it's harder than the real thing for the most part (I always got 19s) but also an inconvenience because it freaks you out.

RC: Only used DAT Bootcamp. I did the Vanilla Method as Ari calls it and just read the whole passage and took notes each paragraph. What is great about Bootcamp is that they updated the website so that it looks more like the DAT and that helps a bit with RC because the question shows up right below the reading so you can read and look to see if what you just read answers that question.

10/10 Bootcamp RC was about the same length. I didn't have any of the "statement is ________ but the reason is _________" questions but it prepared you well

QR: So I came on here so many times and began to spaz people were saying the 2015 DAT was supposed to be so much more stats based and I haven't taken stats. I also blew my money on Organic Odyssey instead of Math Destroyer which everyone here says is a necessity. Thus I assumed this would be my lowest score and it was. However, what I learned from Bootcamp is how to skip questions that just looked long. For example, if it was a wordy problem i just put a random answer and skipped it unless I had time. This saved me on my real DAT because I had a good deal of wordy problems but decent amount of quick easy which allowed me to go back and try some of these. I think I only had two stats problems where one was calculating the mean and variance, and the other was using the Bell Curve to determine how many things would be with this standard deviation.

Dat Bootcamp: 8/10 too many word problems; Dat Destroyer not Math Destroyer: 7/10 would like more thorough explanations for a few but nice to get some problems in.

All and all while I was taking it I thought I rocked the sciences. When I got to PAT I seriously thought I bombed because the pattern folding was ridiculous and I must have guessed on 7-8. Reading my passages were interesting but I had to speed up a bit at the end. QR learn to skip around. So for all of you guys out there that come and read these know that Bootcamp in general is harder so don't let bad scores freak you out too much. Dat Destroyer only worth it for the orgo and probably could get at least a 20-21 with just Chad's videos and Mike Christiansen.

BOOTCAMP Averages (5 exams)
BIO: 24
Gchem: 22
Ochem: 20
RC: 20
PAT: 19

* I keep trying to upload my scores but for some reason it keeps the file size is too big. You can take my word for it for now I guess
Whats is Mike Christiansen email? Or if you have gen chem and orgo practice exam you can share? Please

ChemistryDentist

Almost there!
Apr 10, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
Whats is Mike Christiansen email? Or if you have gen chem and orgo practice exam you can share? Please
This post is from 4 years ago now @kamilpatel... not sure why you'd bring it from the grave. Besides, there's no score report either...

• Haha
Reactions: DentTreadOnMe
About the Ads