DAT done! my only concern is..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjpark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated with 3.2... GPA..
I know it's not great.
even worse.. science.GPA is even lower. 3.05ish.

DAT.
Bio-20
GC-20
OChem-23
QR-20
TS-21
AA-20
PAT-22.

but... RC16.. sigh. English is my 2nd language, but no excuses here.

My extra curricular stuffs aren't bad. I have 200+hrs of volunteer works through

American Read and volunteering at the hospital.

I think I'll get good L of Recommandation.

I just want to apply for this cycle. I also know, I'm not too late apply, but definitely not early enough.

do I have a shot? go or no go?

what shall I do. any suggestions would be appreciated.

oh. I can get one Letter of Recommandation from a Distinguished Professor.

He said he'll write me a real good one. two other professors?... not so sure.

they barely know me. probably not at all.

Members don't see this ad.

I rlly dont know man.... ur DAT was above avg (which is normally 17 or 18), i think you'll get wait listed? depends where u apply... dont take my word though i have no experience

Goodluck

hihi

English is my second language too and we have similar dat (aa 21, ts 21, pat 19) and gpa (i'm around 3.2 overall and...science..i'm just too scared to calculate it)
i'm currently a dental assistant and attend many dental outreach.

i think you can try this year, get your application in as soon as possible!
good luck

I just don't know what to do. cuz one of my friend who got accepted to case western Univ, told me I should apply. Then many posts on SDN sound like 16 on RC is no good. I mean it is not.. but..

I should've tried more practice RC tests. I only took 2 practice ones and I got 17, 18. I should've prepared for the worst. :/ and I'm pissed that I got only 20 in QR, too... I've been getting 22~25s.
sigh. I got too damn nervous after RC. anyways...Aw.Thanks!! good luck with you too!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get disheartened - it is so easy to lose all hope but don't do it! You do have a lower GPA but also you do have a better DAT. Never feel defeated - just go for it with the best of intentions and hopefully everything works out. Keep working at your weak points so that if you do have to demonstrate higher understanding (be it with retaking the DAT, a Masters, or upper level sciences) you can shine. I know a few people who got in with those stats and it is usually because of their LOR/ECs so keep working at those too!

Best of luck and well done - don't forget your DAT is an amazing accomplishment.

I am second language too and have almost the same as your GPA
I wish I will get your score in the exam... you have done a great job

WISH ME A GOOD LUCK

Excellent PAT and OC.
Most schools list on their website what min score for each section applicants should have. From about 10 schools I've looked at they want at least a 17+ in all sections. But dont sweat it because RC was your only low score by a point.

Ive seen some SDNers get into Dschool with one of their sections being a 16. But since you have a low GPA too....I would consider a retake. If you have somewhat of a light load this Fall, retake it. It def wouldn't hurt since you just came out with excellent scores and things still fresh on your mind.

If you have a heavy Fall schedule and dont want to risk it, then be at peace. Bc if you retake when youre busy and do worse, youll regret it!

I too am a recent immigrant applying this cycle. My GPA is similar to yours, but I have yet to take the DAT. I applied, got what I think to be good letters from some of my professors, one from a clinician and I've done a lot of shadowing. Most people on here show off or whatever with scores of 20+ but I've heard from a few dental students that a lot of them got accepted with 17s and 18s so don't get discouraged. My advice to you and others in your position would be to get your application done asap. The deadlines are technically in december/january but most of the interview processes start as early as late september/early october, so if you can get your application submitted at least by the second week of september you should have a good chance. Good luck, I know how hard it is to be an immigrant and compete in this process.

I have friends that had worse dat scores, worse EC's, and a similar gpa as you (granted i don't know what your sGPA is), and they were all accepted to good D-schools. you got this! get AMAZING letters of rec. If the professor does not know you, it will only hurt you.

I think your RC is a bit low...And schools do pay a big attention on RC, so maybe call some of your ideal schools to see whether it's ok to have this sort of uneven score.