DAT done.. Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smeagol3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my DAT and am not too pleased with my scores.

PAT/QR/Bio/GC/OC/RC/AA
20/16/19/19/18/19/18

I really thought the QR, was easy. However, I didn't skip problems like I should have been. Due to this I wasn't able to even answer the last 4 problems of mine because I had the calculator up and as I was attempting to answer, my submission of my answers were cancelled, which put me in a panic with 10-15 seconds left.

I have a 3.8 GPA, 3.7 science GPA, over 100 hours shadowing and about 1,300 or so hours doing community service. Yes, I know my GPA and DAT don't exactly match up. My practice scores were all in the 18-22 range for BC. So I thought I'd be within that or slightly better.

I'm mostly worried about my OC and AA scores. I personally know of several people with 16 and 17 QR's who are now in dental school (Creighton, UW, MW-AZ) who got 19AA's. However, my AA is a little lower. Their AA's were only higher because their RC's were higher than mine though.

Anyways, I've already applied to 7 schools before my DAT was taken and was curious what other schools I should apply to now to increase my odds?

So far I've applied to both Midwesterns, ASDOH, MOSDOH, Case Western, LECOM, Roseman. I live in the state of Idaho, therefore I am not apart of WICHE and have no state school.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your dat is below average and GPA is above average. You should add about 6 more schools. Especially the safety schools like NYU, Nova, Tufts, LECOM, etc

Reactions: 1 user
I would apply deep. As many schools as you can afford. Add plenty of safety schools. You do run the risk of having adcoms wonder why your DAT may not be in line with your fantastic GPA. (Excellent work) your 16 QR may disqualify you for some schools with cutoffs so check that out before applying and wasting money at these schools. I would continue to study for the DAT and consider a retake now that you have that first one as experience. If you can get that DAT up to a 20 with nothing under a 17 you'd be a stellar applicant. I would hate to see your DAT hold you behind when you are otherwise a great candidate for a lot of good schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for the advice @BetaHelix and @RuffDay

I will be sure to add NYU, Nova and Tufts. Do either of you have any other recommendations for schools?

@BetaHelix I will be sure to start studying again if it so happens I don't get an acceptance or any interviews. For the cutoffs that you mentioned, I can't seem to find many schools that list cutoffs on their websites. In that case, am I good to go for those particular schools?

Thank you very much for the advice @BetaHelix and @RuffDay

I will be sure to add NYU, Nova and Tufts. Do either of you have any other recommendations for schools?

@BetaHelix I will be sure to start studying again if it so happens I don't get an acceptance or any interviews. For the cutoffs that you mentioned, I can't seem to find many schools that list cutoffs on their websites. In that case, am I good to go for those particular schools?

Go to each individual schools website and check. May also want to give them a call and run it by them. I am not familiar with Nova and Tufts as I didn't apply to them. I don't remember seeing cutoffs for NYU when I was browsing their website .