Dat done! Need advice!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistry2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow my head hurts after that exam. Honestly, I just want to tell everyone- the DAT IS NOT THAT BAD. although i didnt do exceptional like a lot of the people on this forum - i can say that the exam was not as bad as i had expected. especially the science section. so for those of u planning to take it soon, DO NOT WORRY. anyways ill post more specifics later....(by the way, i got the sea urchinq uestion too:) ) but i need some advice on my scores....i dont know whether to be extremely happy or extremely upset!

QR: 19
RC:19
Biology:21
General Chemistry: 18
Organic Chemistry:21
Total Science: 20
Academic Average:20
Perceptual: 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM SO UPSET ABOUT MY PERCEPTUAL SCORE!!! it actually wuznt nearly as bad as the achiever, but ir an out of time!! i never got that low of a score even on the achiever tests! i wuz happy with my TS and AA but now i dont know what this means for me. Do i need to retake??? i did my best in the sciences and i really dont want to take it again, but do you all think i should?? Where do i have chances of getting in on the east coast???

ID REALLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK!

p.s. my TS and AA are good right?? when all i see on this forum recently are 20+ scores, im getting nervous all of a sudden!!!

Members don't see this ad.

20/20 on TS/AA are good, IMO.

I looked at a sheet of students from my school that got in for the 2005 cycle and only 10% of the admitted group did better than 21 AA on the DAT. Don't let the allsome scores from this site make you feel like your scores aren't good.

One thing I would do if I were you is to make sure that your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices don't require a >16 score on the PAT. If they don't automatically rule you out over that, I wouldn't retake it unless you have a bad GPA.

aggie-master said:
20/20 on TS/AA are good, IMO.

I looked at a sheet of students from my school that got in for the 2005 cycle and only 10% of the admitted group did better than 21 AA on the DAT. Don't let the allsome scores from this site make you feel like your scores aren't good.

One thing I would do if I were you is to make sure that your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices don't require a >16 score on the PAT. If they don't automatically rule you out over that, I wouldn't retake it unless you have a bad GPA.

thanks for the input!! i havent really noticed any schools that give a cutoff - or maybe im just thinking of applying to ones that dont. do u know of any that do???

Members don't see this ad :)
dentistry2011 said:
thanks for the input!! i havent really noticed any schools that give a cutoff - or maybe im just thinking of applying to ones that dont. do u know of any that do???

The only ones I know have it stated on their websites are Tufts (minimum PAT of 15) and UOP (minimum PAT of 16)...I guess you're fine on both accounts.

dentistry2011 said:

Why not just contact the schools you're interested in? Showing concern over your PAT score (and therefore interest in getting into their school) might help you, since the adcom is going to see it anyway.

dentistry2011 said:
Wow my head hurts after that exam. Honestly, I just want to tell everyone- the DAT IS NOT THAT BAD. although i didnt do exceptional like a lot of the people on this forum - i can say that the exam was not as bad as i had expected. especially the science section. so for those of u planning to take it soon, DO NOT WORRY. anyways ill post more specifics later....(by the way, i got the sea urchinq uestion too:) ) but i need some advice on my scores....i dont know whether to be extremely happy or extremely upset!

QR: 19
RC:19
Biology:21
General Chemistry: 18
Organic Chemistry:21
Total Science: 20
Academic Average:20
Perceptual: 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM SO UPSET ABOUT MY PERCEPTUAL SCORE!!! it actually wuznt nearly as bad as the achiever, but ir an out of time!! i never got that low of a score even on the achiever tests! i wuz happy with my TS and AA but now i dont know what this means for me. Do i need to retake??? i did my best in the sciences and i really dont want to take it again, but do you all think i should?? Where do i have chances of getting in on the east coast???

ID REALLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK!

p.s. my TS and AA are good right?? when all i see on this forum recently are 20+ scores, im getting nervous all of a sudden!!!

Hey can u give some advice on how u studied for it....tanxx,,,,,by the way good job on ur scoress!! i m sure u ll be fine :)

wigglytooth said:
Why not just contact the schools you're interested in? Showing concern over your PAT score (and therefore interest in getting into their school) might help you, since the adcom is going to see it anyway.

Yeah I plan on calling the schools before the end of the week. Thanks everyone for the positive responses, I actually feel a lot better. UPenn was on my list and its actually one of my top chocies, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anyone know about their stats from last year?

Like I said I plan to call, but what exactly should I say?? usually when you call it's not like they ask you for ur name or anything, so will it really show concern on my part?? Also, Ive tried with some schools to meet with the admissions counselors to discuss my chances like others have suggested, but everytime they just say they are unavailable and that they dont arrange such meetings! Any advice??

Thanks again!!

dentistry2011 said:
Yeah I plan on calling the schools before the end of the week. Thanks everyone for the positive responses, I actually feel a lot better. UPenn was on my list and its actually one of my top chocies, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anyone know about their stats from last year?

Like I said I plan to call, but what exactly should I say?? usually when you call it's not like they ask you for ur name or anything, so will it really show concern on my part?? Also, Ive tried with some schools to meet with the admissions counselors to discuss my chances like others have suggested, but everytime they just say they are unavailable and that they dont arrange such meetings! Any advice??

Thanks again!!

E-mail. I've contacted Corky Cacas of Penn a few times and she's always gotten back to me (eventually), and other schools have been relatively responsive through e-mail.