DAT Finished!!!! 8/3/09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingmike0818

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT - 22
QR - 19
RC - 19
BIO - 19
GC - 19
OC - 23
TS - 20
AA - 20

GPA = 3.82 sGPA = 3.86
(With a degree in Bio from a not too competitive Cal State school in CA)

EC's - 200+ hrs dental shadowing, 60 hrs volunteering in dental clinic, Fraternity leader, Various clubs/community service

Applied to UCLA, USC, UOP, WESTERN, UCSF, ARIZONA, UPENN, TEMPLE, NYU, BU

I was wondering what are my chances at getting into these schools with these stats?? I'm especially wondering what are my chances of getting into UCLA, because that's by far my top choice

Due to financial problems, the only resource I could afford to study with was the Kaplan course. I found it to be a good refresher of all the stuff that I had forgotten from bio, gchem, and ochem. If I had to do it again, I wud look into destroyer and topscore to try to go above and beyond so I cudve gotten accustomed to some of the really hard questions. That way, I cudve get scores a little higher then these scores that I got now.

I consider these scores competitive, but I don't know if these will open any doors for me. But I happy enough with them because I know they won't close any doors either :)

PAT - Going into the test, I'm was expecting a score a little higher then the 22. This was definately one of my stronger sections because I'm able to picture everything in my head easily. The actual test had a few really tricky hole punching questions and the angle ranking was really hard to see. But I found that the top front end and the keyhole were suprisingly much easier then those in the Kaplan practices. Cube counting and folding weren't too bad either. Although I was getting a little annoyed with the cube counting because they had only 2 question per figure!!! so it got very tedious.

QR - This was also something I wasn't too scared of because I'm usually very good in math. I just tried to make sure to have all the formulas memorized and I wrote down all the ones I had trouble with during the 15 min tutorial at da beginning of the entire exam. I had a lot of trig!!! which I def wasnt expecting that much of ... I think that was the part that really got me because I didnt have too much trouble going through everything quickly. But I didn't expect that much trig and thus I didnt study it too much ... But at least I didnt get too many long annoying probability questions

RC - This was a section that I didnt practice too much of and I kinda wish that I did. I'm a little disappointed with the 19 because I know its very average. I was hoping to get at least a 20 or 21. My passages weren't even too bad ... I had one on floating bridges (which killed me), one on the spinal cord and one on contaminated water.

Bio - Going into the test I felt the most confident with this section. I was acing all the practice Kaplan tests and making sure I understood the ones I got wrong. But the actual test was SOOOOOO RANDOM!!! From the 1st question I was thinking too myself that I must've been studying a totally dif book that was designed for a totally dif test! I really had to reach into my brain and try to remember all the stuff I learned from all my time as an undergrad ... None of the stuff I was focussing on while studying was on it ... No Anatomy, no taxonomy, no plants ... In the end I was pretty happy I got a 19 ... I wud recommend spending more time studying for GChem and OChem bc theres no way to know all the stuff they ask for, it justs comes down to being lucky enough 2 get questions you know

GChem - Not too bad. Going in, this was my worst section. But it didnt seem too hard ... I mustve made a few dumb calculation mistakes bc after I finished all the questions I was expecting a score that was a little higher.

OChem - This section definately saved my score ... I'm very happy with it ... Just a lot of rxns, 1 NMR, and 1 IR ... Not really any naming ... I initially pushed back my test 2 weeks so I wud have a little more time to go over OChem in detail, and I am very glad I did so bc that definitely made my scores more competitive!!! :)

So what do you guys think of my scores? Do you think they are they good enough for UCLA??

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

good job....

i dont know much about ucla so i can't tell you...

PAT - 22
QR - 19
RC - 19
BIO - 19
GC - 19
OC - 23
TS - 20
AA - 20

GPA = 3.82 sGPA = 3.86

EC's - 200+ hrs dental shadowing, 60 hrs volunteering in dental clinic, Fraternity leader, Various clubs/community service

I was wondering what are my chances at getting into these schools with these stats?? I'm especially wondering what are my chances of getting into UCLA, because that's by far my top choice

Due to financial problems, the only resource I could afford to study with was the Kaplan course. I found it to be a good refresher of all the stuff that I had forgotten from bio, gchem, and ochem. If I had to do it again, I wud look into destroyer and topscore to try to go above and beyond so I cudve gotten accustomed to some of the really hard questions. That way, I cudve get scores a little higher then these scores that I got now.

I consider these scores competitive, but I don't know if these will open any doors for me. But I happy enough with them because I know they won't close any doors either :)

PAT - Going into the test, I'm was expecting a score a little higher then the 22. This was definately one of my stronger sections because I'm able to picture everything in my head easily. The actual test had a few really tricky hole punching questions and the angle ranking was really hard to see. But I found that the top front end and the keyhole were suprisingly much easier then those in the Kaplan practices. Cube counting and folding weren't too bad either. Although I was getting a little annoyed with the cube counting because they had only 2 question per figure!!! so it got very tedious.

QR - This was also something I wasn't too scared of because I'm usually very good in math. I just tried to make sure to have all the formulas memorized and I wrote down all the ones I had trouble with during the 15 min tutorial at da beginning of the entire exam. I had a lot of trig!!! which I def wasnt expecting that much of ... I think that was the part that really got me because I didnt have too much trouble going through everything quickly. But I didn't expect that much trig and thus I didnt study it too much ... But at least I didnt get too many long annoying probability questions

RC - This was a section that I didnt practice too much of and I kinda wish that I did. I'm a little disappointed with the 19 because I know its very average. I was hoping to get at least a 20 or 21. My passages weren't even too bad ... I had one on floating bridges (which killed me), one on the spinal cord and one on contaminated water.

Bio - Going into the test I felt the most confident with this section. I was acing all the practice Kaplan tests and making sure I understood the ones I got wrong. But the actual test was SOOOOOO RANDOM!!! From the 1st question I was thinking too myself that I must've been studying a totally dif book that was designed for a totally dif test! I really had to reach into my brain and try to remember all the stuff I learned from all my time as an undergrad ... None of the stuff I was focussing on while studying was on it ... No Anatomy, no taxonomy, no plants ... In the end I was pretty happy I got a 19 ... I wud recommend spending more time studying for GChem and OChem bc theres no way to know all the stuff they ask for, it justs comes down to being lucky enough 2 get questions you know

GChem - Not too bad. Going in, this was my worst section. But it didnt seem too hard ... I mustve made a few dumb calculation mistakes bc after I finished all the questions I was expecting a score that was a little higher.

OChem - This section definately saved my score ... I'm very happy with it ... Just a lot of rxns, 1 NMR, and 1 IR ... Not really any naming ... I initially pushed back my test 2 weeks so I wud have a little more time to go over OChem in detail, and I am very glad I did so bc that definitely made my scores more competitive!!! :)

So what do you guys think of my scores? Do you think they are they good enough for UCLA??

PAT - 22
QR - 19
RC - 19
BIO - 19
GC - 19
OC - 23
TS - 20
AA - 20

GPA = 3.82 sGPA = 3.86

First of all congrats! You completed DAT portion of the application! Your GPA is excellent. I am not an ADCOM to evaluate your chance for UCLA. If you have good research experience, your chance will probably increase for UCLA and UCSF because UCs are research schools (Cal states are teaching). I do not want to be a bad person to inform you this, but your chance for UCLA can be slim. So many exceptional candidates are applying there. Wait and see like all of us! Good luck with the rest of your application :thumbup:.

Members don't see this ad :)
PAT - 22
I must've been studying a totally dif book that was designed for a totally dif test! ...No Anatomy, no taxonomy, no plants ... In the end I was pretty happy I got a 19 ...

good job, don't worry you'll going to make it..good GPA good DAT !!!

i got a question, what do you mean by 'dif test'? and seems like you have lot's of anatomy, taxonomy, plants...do you think they are simple ones...so that if you just went over once more, you could have got them all right?

good job, don't worry you'll going to make it..good GPA good DAT !!!

i got a question, what do you mean by 'dif test'? and seems like you have lot's of anatomy, taxonomy, plants...do you think they are simple ones...so that if you just went over once more, you could have got them all right?

I meant that it felt like the actual test was based off of a totally different book then the one I used ... the actual DAT didn't have any anatomy, taxonomy, or plant stuff ... but those are things that I focused on the most

The actual DAT had a lot of other random details that I don't recall going over in the Kaplan book

Hey,

I just took the same test today. You're right, that floating bridges passage was ridiculous! I also thought that the biology questions were extremely detailed, too detailed. I was hoping for better on the biology section. Are these grades any good? My top 2 schools I'm looking at are NYU and BU, but I applied to a bunch.

PAT 20
QR 18
RC 21
BIO 18
GC 19
OCHEM 23
TS 20
AA 20

sGPA 3.68
Total 3.71

You have a pretty fat chance of getting into UCLA. Your GPA is AWESOME and scores were perfect too.

I went to ucla as undergrad....its definitely my dream:love: school for dental...i hope i get scores like yours :)

You have a pretty fat chance of getting into UCLA. Your GPA is AWESOME and scores were perfect too.

I went to ucla as undergrad....its definitely my dream:love: school for dental...i hope i get scores like yours :)

This isn't relevant but to use the idiom fat chance... doesn't that mean he has no chance of getting in.

ucla, there are too many high qualified people applying there. I do not applying this year even i am a ucla alumni. But i heard they do not like their alumni, they want diversity instead:(

Your DAT is a little lower than their average, but your GPA is solid. I guess it all comes down to your LoR and luck. At least you are instate

Great Scores! Why didn’t you use destroyer? For Bio it is a real help, it has a lot of the “random” topics that are covered on the DAT.

I'm sure that every DAT is different, but to what degree were topics like ecology and classification covered on your exam? Because if I were to go by Topscore, taxonomy is the most important stuff to know for the bio section, which I have a hard time believing.

Also, what were your methods when you came across an Angle problem in which all the angles seemed to be identical? I often try to look at ONLY the corner, but sometimes that doesn't work. If anything other than luck is involved, I'd love to hear it. Thanks, and great scores!