DAT format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddasung

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Reading your posts really helped me a lot in my preparation of Deantal application. I have a question about DAT format. For those of you who have taken it already, can you provide me with some tips?

For example, I have purchased the Topscore Pro CD which contains 3 full length DAT. I have done the first two exams and did pretty well. And, I took the free KAPLAN DAT test online and found their format very ineffient and quite different from the Topscore Pro format. First of all, for KAPLAN I had to scroll down to click on the next button every single time which ate up a lot of my time whereas Topscore Pro CD had everything fit in one 'page' and saved me time scrolling down to the page to get to the next question.

Also, for the Reading and Comprehension part, Topscore Pro CD had the passages right below the questions in a bos and had the scroll bar. And, the KAPLAN just laid out the whold passage right before the questions and provided an option to minimize the passage. I found this very ineffient, too because I have to maximize the icon every time when I had refer back to the passage and that was very inefficient.

Lastly, did you find the Reading and Comprehension part difficult or easy? I have done some practive ones and found that they are not that difficult. It is just a matter of locating where the correct information is where in which paragraph. Or, maybe my practice questions happened to be unrealistically easy and nothing comparable the real DAT.

I know this is a very long post. I hope someone outhere will have the same type of questions and by having someone answered these questions will help a lot of us.

Thank you so much for your time.

Ki-Yoon

Members don't see this ad.

s.mutans,

thank you so much for your tips.
it helped me a lot.

ki-yoon

Have you guys done the Barron's passages? Those are all hardcore dental passages, and i am wondering are DAT passages usually like that? In those passages I have trouble locating "key words" because they all sound important (becaues I have no idea what it's talking about.." Is there a technique in picking important info in shortest amount of time? or i just need to practice and practice? thank you guys... your posts helped me so much in my studying for DAT and application process...thanks!

S. mutans,

I had the exact same passages that you mentioned! I thought the reading comp. was fairly easy, and I managed a score of 24 (99.3 %ile) and finished the entire section with 30 minutes (or so) to spare. Not hard at all, and kind of relaxing after doing the sciences and the PAT.

-G