DAT>GPA! High DAT Scores Are More Important Than A High GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading one of the ADA pieces and it said students with higher DAT (rather than a high GPA) scores are less likely to drop out their first year.
So what do you think? DAT scores are more important?
I always thought it also depended what school each pre-dent went.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading one of the ADA pieces and it said students with higher DAT (rather than a high GPA) scores are less likely to drop out their first year.
So what do you think? DAT scores are more important?
I always thought it also depended what school each pre-dent went.

Thanks

87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say that makes sense merely because the DAT is a standardized test, so everyone gets a fair shot, where as GPA doesn't take into account levels of grade inflation/deflation at individual schools.

DAT is the accurate yard stick for every school. They can use it to properly compare different candidates. When it comes to GPA, candidates come from various background, major, schools etc. You really cant compare GPA of phil major and a Bio major. The difficulty of programs vary. But anyways, good DATs reflect good national board scores and those are very important to them.

DAT scorse may be correlated better with student performance, but in terms of admissions I have heard multiple times from admissions officers that GPA ismost important. I know people who have gotten 18/19 and easily gotten in on a 3.8 or so GPA, and people with 3.4 or so with 21's who haven't gotten in.

DAT scorse may be correlated better with student performance, but in terms of admissions I have heard multiple times from admissions officers that GPA ismost important. I know people who have gotten 18/19 and easily gotten in on a 3.8 or so GPA, and people with 3.4 or so with 21's who haven't gotten in.

Sounds good to me...:D

If you had a 3.8 then you shouldn't have anything less than a 21/22.
What are the reasons for not having a very high DAT if you have a high gpa?

I agree DAT is weighted more heavily and is more correlated with performance in dental school.
To answer your question...I guess the person with a 3.8 went to a very easy university? fifth tier school? if possible...LOL...

Personality and personal drive should have something to do with it as well as grades.

Who wants to study for 3 months straight for a test? not me....

Who wants to study for 3 months straight for a test? not me....

If you had a 3.8 then you won't need much studying...;)
thats like 2 A-'s for every A.

Definitely agree with the DAT being a more fair assessment than GPA. Some schools give points for showing up to class while others make it difficult (and acceptable) to make C's.

If you had a 3.8 then you won't need much studying...;)
thats like 2 A-'s for every A.
I got my fair share of A's as well but you're telling me you remember stuff like gen chem that you took 4 years ago?