High GPA Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eht-Ostaf

Learner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My brother just graduated HS but he's done with all his General Education requirements due to concurrent enrollment with the local community college. All he has to do now is to take his major courses. He's getting his education paid for (60 credits) at the community college so I thought he might as well get all his dental pre-requisites there and then transfer to a 4-year college for the rest of his bachelor's. He's holding on to a 4.0 with his Gen Ed.
  • According to go the tuition free program eligibility requirement, he just needs 3 credit hours minimum per semester.
    • Based on this, I'm advising him to go slow and take less credit per semester so that he can make sure his GPA for Dental pre-req and major don't suffer.
    • He just turn 18 and he already has 30 college credit so, he can go slow to get good GPA.
What say you? Are we on the right track? Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as he is at least taking a full-time courseload, all would be well. I first read this post thinking the brother was suggested to take only 3 credit hours each semester while in CC.

Things could have changed over the past couple years, but last I heard many dental schools don’t accept community college credits that are prerequisite courses. He might end up having to take them again at a 4-yr college. Unless I’m wrong. Someone correct me if I am. I would double check that before you spend double $.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things could have changed over the past couple years, but last I heard many dental schools don’t accept community college credits that are prerequisite courses. He might end up having to take them again at a 4-yr college. Unless I’m wrong. Someone correct me if I am. I would double check that before you spend double $.
The schools' websites should confirm, but in general, unless specific policies prohibit it, there is a general consensus that CC credits for prerequisites are fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree generally with the other suggestions: first thing you should probabaly do is to check if dental schools you are planning to apply to accept college credits. I'm sure he has a lot of room to "take it easy" by not taking 20 credits per semester or something, but this is also a good opportunity for him to take upper-level courses to show that he is academically strong, and able to challenge himself. He should also consider taking classes that would broaden his horizons and try new things during college. Classes like sculpture would also look great on the manual dexterity portion of the apps, for example.

DS would likely be hard pressed to find say 7K applicants that have completed their pre reqs at a 4 year institution. Few schools will outright not accept CC credits; "many" do, however, clearly discourage CC pre reqs.