DAT in 2 months !!! In need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amara753

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i am currently studying for the DAT and take the exam in late March. I am kinda hoping i can get some help on how to study for each section. Although this is my first time taking the DAT, i have tried to study for it in previous years using Bootcamp but this year i am taking a different approach and solely relying on Dat destroyer, Chads videos, and PAT booster.

PAT: As mentioned i just bought PAT booster but am slightly confused on how to do daily practice. I noticed for that for TFE there is no generator available. If anyone one has used it i'd love a breakdown of how you did daily practice before deciding to attempt the practice tests.

Bio: I am currently using DAT Dynamite Bio notes for Bio section but i have been trying to memorize everything from each chapter and fear i may be moving too slow. Would you suggest moving through all of the chapters steadily and doubling back on what i feel i am weak on ?

Gen Chem: Using Chads videos to study from and feel fairly confident on this section but would love any addition tips or things to look out for on the DAT for this section

Ochem: This has always been my struggle area so i'm trying to pay more attention to it. Also using Chads videos to review. I have a friend who also suggested i memorize all of the road maps in the DAT Destroyer. Wondering if that has helped for anyone else and if so how i should approach?

QR: Now this is my WEAK area! I've been just watching Dr Biols videos from Dat Destroyer on youtube but am wondering how to get practice problems. Do you suggest the DAT destroyer and Math destroyer practice tests?

Reading Comp: Ive just been reading daily articles but have no idea what to expect on the actual DAT. Any suggestions for Reading comp practice tests or resources ?

Just a little on my background. I graduated with my degree in Biochemistry and have a love for the topics i have learned. However due to a lower GPA my DAT scores have to be superb thus i appreciate any help you guys provide.
Thank you !!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd read through breakdowns to see how other people studied, but really, it depends on you. DAT Destroyer + Math Destroyer are more for testing your knowledge, and not so much content review, so make sure you have your content down before really attempting those. But, read through breakdowns in this list to get an idea of how other people used those resources: Compilation - DAT Breakdown Collection! 2017-Present
Thank you! yea ive been following a few breakdowns but i think my main concern is using PAT booster. Ive just noticed that the TFE section doesnt have generators and wanted to know what other peoples experience with this was.

Thank you! yea ive been following a few breakdowns but i think my main concern is using PAT booster. Ive just noticed that the TFE section doesnt have generators and wanted to know what other peoples experience with this was.

From what I understand, it's very difficult to make generators for TFE that are reasonably similar to the DAT. I would suggest just going through the collection questions (I forget the actual term) that are sourced from the practice tests (in random order). You likely won't remember them when you go to take the full lengths, so if you're looking for harder questions that will be great practice. That's what I did, at least!

TFE, Pattern Folding , Key hole are very difficult to be computer generated and still be acceptable study material without human quality control. The best PAT service out there is PATBooster and if you notice the folding pattern generator models are very few but they get different textures to seems different. The Key hole generator also uses a few models but each model has like one or two parameters that change with the question (not really that different). As for TFE you wont find a generator for that due to the enormous complexity that go into making such generator without looking like a mess unless the service recycles the same questions with minor, and negligible, differences. Basically, you're looking for something that doesn't exist and you should just use the available TFE questions wisely.

For PAT, I focused on angle ranking and keyhole since those were my weakest subjects. I spent 15 minutes on angle ranking generators each day. For keyhole, I would review previous questions and try to explain why each answer was correct or wrong. I paid attention to proportions and ratios.

For TFE, you need to develop the ability to translate a 2D image to a 3D mental model. For practice, try to sketch the 3D shape from the 3 views (don't look at the PATBooster's 3D model just yet!) Focus on one feature at a time. From the the two given views, first focus on the overall size of that feature. For example, does that feature extend all the way from the front to the back or is the top view indicating that it only extends half way? Or maybe that feature doesn't start until the middle then extends to the back. Channels/holes inside the shape are common features for TFE shapes. Note the hidden lines. Do they extend all the way through the shape or only part way.