DAT in 2 weeks!! ADVICE PLEASE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bstorm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I take the DAT in two weeks and am getting nervous !!! Right now my BC scores are :
BIO: 17
GC: 18
OC: 17
PAT: 18
RC: 19
QR: 19

I really want to get at least a 20! Any advice on what I can do within the time before my DAT to bring up my scores?

Members don't see this ad.

You're almost there!:clap:
For the questions you've gotten wrong in the sciences, make sure you go back and restudy the concepts for each of them, asking yourself why you got those questions wrong. Was it a calculation mistake? Maybe you got a reaction confused with another? On my actual exam, I found that I scored 1-2 points higher than my BC prac scores, so keep your head up!

For PAT, keep on practicing with the generators on BC! It will pay off! For reading, have you used the same strategy each time you've taken a practice exam? If so, maybe try a different one to see if you score higher. What worked best for me was to spend no more than 20 min per essay. During the initial few minutes of each essay, I would read through the entire paper and write key points for each paragraph to refer to later when you start answering questions. This way, you have a good idea of what you've read and you won't be so stressed searching through the entire paper as time is running out.

For QR, I can't really give much advice because that was my lowest section on the DAT (19), other than to keep practicing, skip it if you don't know it, and get the easy points out of the way first.

Keep on practicing, maybe 1 practice exam a day! If you've exhausted the BC prac exams, I also recommend DAT Genius. It is also a great resource and more accurately reflected my PAT and QR scores than BC.
Best of luck!! Take a deep breath, keep on chugging, and before you know it, you'll be done!:highfive:

Reactions: 1 user
For the questions you've gotten wrong in the sciences, make sure you go back and restudy the concepts for each of them, asking yourself why you got those questions wrong. Was it a calculation mistake? Maybe you got a reaction confused with another? On my actual exam, I found that I scored 1-2 points higher than my BC prac scores, so keep your head up!

For PAT, keep on practicing with the generators on BC! It will pay off! For reading, have you used the same strategy each time you've taken a practice exam? If so, maybe try a different one to see if you score higher. What worked best for me was to spend no more than 20 min per essay. During the initial few minutes of each essay, I would read through the entire paper and write key points for each paragraph to refer to later when you start answering questions. This way, you have a good idea of what you've read and you won't be so stressed searching through the entire paper as time is running out.

For QR, I can't really give much advice because that was my lowest section on the DAT (19), other than to keep practicing, skip it if you don't know it, and get the easy points out of the way first.

Keep on practicing, maybe 1 practice exam a day! If you've exhausted the BC prac exams, I also recommend DAT Genius. It is also a great resource and more accurately reflected my PAT and QR scores than BC.
Best of luck!! Take a deep breath, keep on chugging, and before you know it, you'll be done!:highfive:

AH, thank you so much! I've been alternating subjects and practice exams each day this week. I'll definitely have to start the PAT generators though! And you RC, I've been doing search and destroy but I think I might try your method, thanks again!! It's coming down to the end !! :nailbiting::nailbiting:

I found that I scored 1-2 points higher than my BC prac scores, so keep your head up!

This was not the case for me. I felt that my biology and ochem sections were significantly harder than bootcamp. It really depends on your test, so don't expect practice scores (or difficulty) to accurately represent the test. I'm still very happy with my scores, as I scored higher in other sections, but the real test can be very different.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Remember that people score better on the real than the BC scores. From your scores, it seems like you'll make at least a 20. These next 2 weeks are important. Take the to practice more problems and focus on the weak areas and you'll be ready! What I did the last couple days was to go over the dat destroyer again esp the ones you keep getting wrong and explain to yourself why it's wrong, how it should be right, and what they're trying to test you on, you should be golden. Then I went over all the problems that I got wrong in BC. Go over your notes and re read parts you didn't fully comprehend or might've forgotten. For RC definitely practice other strategies on top of SnD bc my test was very tone and "statement is true but reasoning is false" heavy. I'm glad I didn't just go in with only SnD. You'll do well! just keep practicing!

Remember that people score better on the real than the BC scores. From your scores, it seems like you'll make at least a 20. These next 2 weeks are important. Take the to practice more problems and focus on the weak areas and you'll be ready! What I did the last couple days was to go over the dat destroyer again esp the ones you keep getting wrong and explain to yourself why it's wrong, how it should be right, and what they're trying to test you on, you should be golden. Then I went over all the problems that I got wrong in BC. Go over your notes and re read parts you didn't fully comprehend or might've forgotten. For RC definitely practice other strategies on top of SnD bc my test was very tone and "statement is true but reasoning is false" heavy. I'm glad I didn't just go in with only SnD. You'll do well! just keep practicing!
This is the general case, but seriously don't believe it will definitely happen for you. It's different for everyone. I got a great score but again- my bootcamp scores were higher and easier on some sections and a decent margin harder on others.

Thanks for the great advice enamel88! Especially on the reading..I work with a lot of students year round and Search and Destroy works for some DAT exams, but not for all. It is crucial you prepare for whatever may come your way .

bstorm, feel free to message me and I can offer you some last minute study advice.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy