DAT in 6 days! HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Npanto01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I take the DAT for the second time in 6 days. The last time I took the DAT was in August of last year and got a 15AA (mainly because of the orgo and gen chem). I rescheduled the test for dec 30th but postponed until February 18th. I've been studying every week with a couple days off here and there. Taking the DAT bootcamp practice test I recieved a 16 in the gem chem section. I then proceeded to continue using DAT destroyed but I'm just getting more frustrated than anything. I have my interview on the 22nd and can't reschedule the DAT again. I feel as though no matter how hard I study I can't seem to get it to stick. Any incite would be greatly appreciated on what plan of action I should take these last couple of days of studying

Members don't see this ad.

May I ask what resources you are using? And if you took the test once, you should've been able to identify which areas you needed to refocus on. That being said, I felt Destroyer was only good once you get the concepts solidified into your mind.

I have used chads videos and gone through all of the quizzes a twice. I've gone through the first half of organic and General chem in destroyed twice and the first half of QR in destroyer twice. I have crack royal flush but really have only used it for PAT and the first 3 math tests, all of which I got 17-19. I've done the first 2 tests in top score for the sciences and first time through scored about 16-18 but 20's the second time around. I feel like after I go over the question I understand it but then faced with a similar question in a different context I freeze up

Members don't see this ad :)
I do really well on chads quizes but I've heard that they are too easy compared to the actually gen chem and organic on the DAT. Is this true? I don't know whether I should go through his quizes again, do more practice tests or so more destroyer. I want to be practicing the level of difficulty of the actual DAT at this point, not learning more than I would need to know to get a 20 minimal

I do really well on chads quizes but I've heard that they are too easy compared to the actually gen chem and organic on the DAT. Is this true? I don't know whether I should go through his quizes again, do more practice tests or so more destroyer. I want to be practicing the level of difficulty of the actual DAT at this point, not learning more than I would need to know to get a 20 minimal

Barely doing what's needed to get by. That's a dangerous mindset to have. Sure, a 20 is decent, but to say you only want to do what's needed to get that score raises some questions about work ethic. That being said, I did Chad's, Destroyer twice, and some KBB and did decent. Just make sure you have everything in your head. Concepts, formulas, reactions, trends, etc. You can't expect to just watch Chad's and solve a couple problems on Destroyer and hope for a 20. You still have to put in the work to understand, memorize and apply everything.

What has your study schedule looked like? I think that may be part of your problem.

What has your study schedule looked like? I think that may be part of your problem.
I study at least 5 hours a day. I did 3 weeks of 7-10 hours a day back in later December since I didn't have any classes but now with the current semester it's hard to put days like that in plus I work part time.

Barely doing what's needed to get by. That's a dangerous mindset to have. Sure, a 20 is decent, but to say you only want to do what's needed to get that score raises some questions about work ethic. That being said, I did Chad's, Destroyer twice, and some KBB and did decent. Just make sure you have everything in your head. Concepts, formulas, reactions, trends, etc. You can't expect to just watch Chad's and solve a couple problems on Destroyer and hope for a 20. You still have to put in the work to understand, memorize and apply everything.

I say I only need a 20 because I have a pre acceptance to dental school already and just need the score and I'm in, not because I lack work ethic. I am currently military police in addition to my part time job and 15 credit course load. Work ethic is not my problem. I've done numerous practice problems and have what seems to be endless hours put into studying. I just don't know what I should do from now until the test to maximize my score

no offense but if you have been studying like what you said above and still end up hovering around 16-18, you just lack basic science foundation (aka you don't understand the basic chemistry and biology like you think you do). I suggest you go back to square 0, aka buying a general chemistry, ochem book, and basic biology book and study from there first. The fact that you can't do the problems when they are changed to test the same or similar types of concepts just supports my stated point.

plus, how you manage to find that much DAT resources to keep studying like that is a surprise to me.

Reactions: 4 users
I study at least 5 hours a day. I did 3 weeks of 7-10 hours a day back in later December since I didn't have any classes but now with the current semester it's hard to put days like that in plus I work part time.
It doesn't matter how many hours a day you put in if you're not focused or using them efficiently. Make sure you understand the material. Think about it in your head when you finish reading something or finish reviewing a problem you couldn't solve. Try to fit the material into the bigger picture (whether it's bio, chem, o chem, etc.) and how it relates to other things. By the time you take your DAT you should know how you study most efficiently from your experiences in undergrad.

Reactions: 2 users
I say I only need a 20 because I have a pre acceptance to dental school already and just need the score and I'm in, not because I lack work ethic. I am currently military police in addition to my part time job and 15 credit course load. Work ethic is not my problem. I've done numerous practice problems and have what seems to be endless hours put into studying. I just don't know what I should do from now until the test to maximize my score

That's great that you only need a 20 to get in. Doesn't mean you should be complacent and do only what's needed to get by. Sorry, but I wouldn't know how to minimally prepare you to get a 20AA. I say just go all out. Perhaps you're overloading yourself with your 15credit courseload and job? I imagine you were doing the same last year when you got the 15AA.

How did you study for your first DAT attempt?

Chads. Don't just watch it, but WATCH IT. It sounds like it's not your ethic or dedication, but your study techniques.
You might have to hit it hard this weekend. Also, if you're RC/QR is good, maybe you can maximize on points there to get your AA higher.
Stay positive and confident, those are guaranteed to get you more points! Seriously, I mean it.
Good luck!

are you in the Temple postbacc program?