Quantcast

DAT in August

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfitzpat

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
370
Reaction score
2

Members don't see this ad.
I posted this in the DAT forum, but since it doesn't get as many views, I thought I would give it a try here. Any advice would be most appreciated.

I am planning on taking the DAT at the end of this summer so I can have a shot (a very long shot) at 2007. By the time I take the DAT, I will only have completed Gen Chem. I and II. I haven't taken any science classes in the last 8 years, but I have started self studying. I am wondering if it is possible to get a decent score while missing Bio I and II and Orgo I and II. I took a Kaplan practice test with the following scores:

Bio: 14
Chem: 14
Orgo: 10 (I haven't even looked at this stuff)

RC: Didn't do it (but I have a JD and am usually good at this stuff)
QR: Didn't do it
PAT: 18

As a side note, I am aware that most schools won't even take me seriously because of how many classes I will be missing. However, the school I attended for undergrad and law school has admitted people in similar situations in the past, so I figure it is worth a shot.
 

PickMe

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
i think youre crazy to be honest. you are risking scoring poorly in 2 of the 3 science sections, which is the most important section of the test. i dont see how anyone could do well in the orgo and bio sections w/o taking the class unless you plan on studying all summer. id double check with the school you have in mind that you have any chance because normally prereqs are required no matter what. i dont see how theyd let you get away with not taking the most important classes. i would say take the risk and go for it, but i think if you dont get in this year and apply later, dental schools might see how poorly you did on the DAT the first time. think this over, its just one year. why rush and maybe ruin your chances for later?
 

jfitzpat

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
370
Reaction score
2
PickMe said:
i think youre crazy to be honest. you are risking scoring poorly in 2 of the 3 science sections, which is the most important section of the test. i dont see how anyone could do well in the orgo and bio sections w/o taking the class unless you plan on studying all summer. id double check with the school you have in mind that you have any chance because normally prereqs are required no matter what. i dont see how theyd let you get away with not taking the most important classes. i would say take the risk and go for it, but i think if you dont get in this year and apply later, dental schools might see how poorly you did on the DAT the first time. think this over, its just one year. why rush and maybe ruin your chances for later?

Yeah, I definitely hear what you are saying. I will actually have taken an intro to biology class and a intro to organic chemistry class (neither of which actually meet the prereq requirements). I just wanted to see if anyone has had any success on the DAT sans Orgo (I am not as worried about bio because I think the intro class plus heavy studying with the schaum outline would get me there).

Also, I am more than willing to pull the ripcord if my practice tests aren't reflecting adequate scores.
 

Generallee

NYUCD 2010
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2004
Messages
498
Reaction score
0
jfitzpat said:
Yeah, I definitely hear what you are saying. I will actually have taken an intro to biology class and a intro to organic chemistry class (neither of which actually meet the prereq requirements). I just wanted to see if anyone has had any success on the DAT sans Orgo (I am not as worried about bio because I think the intro class plus heavy studying with the schaum outline would get me there).

Also, I am more than willing to pull the ripcord if my practice tests aren't reflecting adequate scores.

I think what you're proposing is doable but will take a lot of hard work! First off, since you've taken Chemistry recently, you should be fine there. Just know the Kaplan Blue Book very well. As far as OChem goes, as long as you know the stuff in the Kaplan Book in and out, then you otta be fine as well. OChem was very very straight forward and "general" compared to taking the class at a University. Now Biology might be a bit challenging. But, if you remember the stuff from way back and you study really hard during the summer, I don't see why you couldn't do well. Honestly, I feel that everything you need to score at least 18's is in the following resources: Kaplan Blue Book, Kaplan Subject Tests, Topscore, and DAT Acheiver (I've never used this one, but from what I hear, it was a great resource). When I started studying the sciences, the only subject that was still somewhat fresh in my mind was OChem. The other subjects I had to re-familiarize/re-learn them in its entirety. I tend to forget the stuff I learned in previous semesters fairly quickly. Read the Kap book over and over and do the subject tests over and over. When you feel like you know the material in those two resources, then test yourself with Topscore Pro and DAT Acheiver. Go for it! If you don't do well, just re-take it again... no big deal. Just make sure that you do better than the first time. :)
 

Fulcrum77

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
jfitzpat said:
Yeah, I definitely hear what you are saying. I will actually have taken an intro to biology class and a intro to organic chemistry class (neither of which actually meet the prereq requirements). I just wanted to see if anyone has had any success on the DAT sans Orgo (I am not as worried about bio because I think the intro class plus heavy studying with the schaum outline would get me there).

Also, I am more than willing to pull the ripcord if my practice tests aren't reflecting adequate scores.

A friend of mine from the Kaplan DAT course took the DAT without having taken OChem at all. He had just finished Gen Chem 2. He just studied the Kaplan book and I showed him a few things. That August, he scored a 16 on the OChem section of the DAT but a 25 on the GChem section. He got a 20AA overall and was admitted to Temple for that cycle. He took the whole OChem series the next year before he matriculated.

It is doable but this guy was studying like a madman for the test. And he also had his bio pre-reqs done as well, he just lacked OChem. Honestly, I would recommend against doing this. If he had just waited until the next cycle, he probably would have gotten a 23AA+.

BTW, he had a degree in business.
 

jfitzpat

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
370
Reaction score
2
Fulcrum77 said:
A friend of mine from the Kaplan DAT course took the DAT without having taken OChem at all. He had just finished Gen Chem 2. He just studied the Kaplan book and I showed him a few things. That August, he scored a 16 on the OChem section of the DAT but a 25 on the GChem section. He got a 20AA overall and was admitted to Temple for that cycle. He took the whole OChem series the next year before he matriculated.

It is doable but this guy was studying like a madman for the test. And he also had his bio pre-reqs done as well, he just lacked OChem. Honestly, I would recommend against doing this. If he had just waited until the next cycle, he probably would have gotten a 23AA+.

BTW, he had a degree in business.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll give it a try because, at worst, I end up having to wait, but in the interim forced myself to build a foundation in Biology and Organic (for those prereqs).

My last question is how accurate practice scores are vs. the real thing. I am hoping that I can tell whether or not I'm going to get that 16 in Organic (and thus simply wait to take the exam) from the practice tests. I plan to take Kaplan in June and July. Thanks again.
 

Generallee

NYUCD 2010
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2004
Messages
498
Reaction score
0
jfitzpat said:
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll give it a try because, at worst, I end up having to wait, but in the interim forced myself to build a foundation in Biology and Organic (for those prereqs).

My last question is how accurate practice scores are vs. the real thing. I am hoping that I can tell whether or not I'm going to get that 16 in Organic (and thus simply wait to take the exam) from the practice tests. I plan to take Kaplan in June and July. Thanks again.

I remember most people stating that if you took the Topscore Pro, then to add 2-3 points on top of that score and that's what you'll be lookin at for the real thing (Except for the PAT section, people said to subtract 2-3 points). Well, I was getting around 18-19's on Topscore and for me, that's exactly what I ended up getting on the real deal.
 

JamieMac

Elite Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
356
Reaction score
1
I read on DAT website that it involved Cell and Genetics. Is it imperitive that I have both of these classes prior to taking the DAT? I'm concerned because I will have both gen chems, gen bios, both organic I & II, and physics I & II. Is this enough to perform well and understand the concepts? I covered quite a bit of cell and genetics in my last bio class. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
 

bkwash

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
247
Reaction score
0
I was in a situation similar to you...If you get take the Kaplan course and buy the Columbia Review series in Bio, Gchem and Orgo you may have a chance. DAT focuses on very specific topics and while those general classes will give you a base you will still have to really learn the DAT topics really well.

It will be REALLY REALLY hard work but if you have some free time it would be worth a shot, and if your practice test scores aren't where you want them to be then wait.
 

PickMe

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
JamieMac said:
I read on DAT website that it involved Cell and Genetics. Is it imperitive that I have both of these classes prior to taking the DAT? I'm concerned because I will have both gen chems, gen bios, both organic I & II, and physics I & II. Is this enough to perform well and understand the concepts? I covered quite a bit of cell and genetics in my last bio class. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.


i think you'll be fine w/o those classes...the topics are very bried on the DAT, probably what you covered in your intro to bio class. just buy the kaplan book, look over the sections and see for yourself if you understand the material.
 

bevzi

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2006
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
If you can study at least 30 hours a week until August, you can do it. If possible, try to take the Kaplan class over the summer. If I were you I would choose Private Tutoring Option from Kaplan because you can attend classes and still meet with a tutor that will help you to focuss on the section you do not do well on.



jfitzpat said:
I posted this in the DAT forum, but since it doesn't get as many views, I thought I would give it a try here. Any advice would be most appreciated.

I am planning on taking the DAT at the end of this summer so I can have a shot (a very long shot) at 2007. By the time I take the DAT, I will only have completed Gen Chem. I and II. I haven't taken any science classes in the last 8 years, but I have started self studying. I am wondering if it is possible to get a decent score while missing Bio I and II and Orgo I and II. I took a Kaplan practice test with the following scores:

Bio: 14
Chem: 14
Orgo: 10 (I haven't even looked at this stuff)

RC: Didn't do it (but I have a JD and am usually good at this stuff)
QR: Didn't do it
PAT: 18

As a side note, I am aware that most schools won't even take me seriously because of how many classes I will be missing. However, the school I attended for undergrad and law school has admitted people in similar situations in the past, so I figure it is worth a shot.
 

mickeyaddi

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2005
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
While we're on the DAT topic, I know I probably should know this by now; however, all of the application material is just swirling through my brain.
Can we submit our application to AADSAS and have them forward it on to our school picks without having taken the DAT? I was wanting to take in May/June; however, it would be much better for me to take it in August.
 
Top