DAT jitters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phattzee7

dent.tutuh
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to know if anyone would have some words of wisdom for me regarding the DAT.
I am due to take it in about three weeks and my Kaplan class ends next week. I am curious to know what you all did the weeks before to prepare (review flash cards, notes, practise problems), whats good to do the night before the test (especially since my test is in the morning), what did you do the morning of the test, how does it actually work when u get there... and so forth. I am really nervous especially since I just finished Physics I today and II starts on monday! How did you all keep your cool? (OH! i already submitted my application via AADSAS and it was sent to the various schools early this week).
HELP!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I wanted to know if anyone would have some words of wisdom for me regarding the DAT.
I am due to take it in about three weeks and my Kaplan class ends next week. I am curious to know what you all did the weeks before to prepare (review flash cards, notes, practise problems), whats good to do the night before the test (especially since my test is in the morning), what did you do the morning of the test, how does it actually work when u get there... and so forth. I am really nervous especially since I just finished Physics I today and II starts on monday! How did you all keep your cool? (OH! i already submitted my application via AADSAS and it was sent to the various schools early this week).
HELP!

Thanks!

Just relax. The day before my test I didn't do much hardcore studying. I went through a few things that I had trouble with it and mostly relaxed. When you get there you sign in, put your stuff in a locker, and they set you up at a computer. Nothing complicated about it. Good luck.

the week before my DAT i took full-length kaplan tests everyday, and worked through every wrong answer. I also finished the flashcards. i think 3 days before my test i took an old actual dat and then chilled for the next two days. i wanted to "treat" myself the day before the exam so i went to get my legs waxed...dont ask...i wish i would have gotten a massage though. get a massage before your exam. dont freak out. i took and Odwalla juice and strawberry fig newtons to the test center with me. make sure you eat something though, i was too nervous to eat, but i knew i had to eat. good luck :) i hope i didnt give too many random suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck. i know how it can feel. you'll be fine! =D

When I took the DAT, I felt that the bio section was not related to what I studied in my Kaplan class (can't really describe how different cause I took it over a month ago). So since you have 3 weeks, you might want to look over some other study materials for bio just to get familiar with a wider scope of material. I ended up getting 18 on bio, when on Kaplan practice tests I was getting 23s.

from a week and half before my DAT date I took 5 practice exams total. I gave at least 1 or 2 days of gap to study the exams and restudy the sections I got low scores. Also I made about 10 pages of review notes as I was studying the exams and just study them everynight took 20-30mins.
A night before was the funny one for me. I couldn't study I just reviewed the notes twice day and night. and played some computer game :oops: cuz I couldn't go to sleep until 3 am. but a can of redbull did a wonder for me.:thumbup:

thanks guys! i really appreciate it. if theres anything else please let me know.

I just wrote mine 3 days ago and I hear ya!

The best thing is a good night's sleep the night before.

Right up to the day before the exam I studied hard. I did a practice exam every other day on the last week. On the day before D-day I just tried to put it out of my mind... I played Nintendo Wii with my cousin for a couple of hours just before bed and trust me that is the best medicine! After sitting like a piece of fudge for two months studying for the DAT, Wii is a serious workout and it made me pretty tired (I'm still sore from the boxing game)!! Then, I was lucky enough to get a nice massage from my wife before bed and I slept like a baby... I walked into the dat the next morning feeling pretty relaxed and I did even better than I had hoped on it!:hardy:

That's just what worked for me though:)

i took and Odwalla juice and strawberry fig newtons to the test center with me. make sure you eat something though, i was too nervous to eat, but i knew i had to eat.

What are the rules as far as food goes? Are you allowed to eat during the break?

What are the rules as far as food goes? Are you allowed to eat during the break?

Call and ask. When I took the test I was allowed to have food in the locker they give you, but cannot bring it into the test. You can leave the test whenever you want (but you don't really want to) so plan to eat during your break. I packed a variety of foods that I knew would fill me up and keep me full like an apple, sandwich, juice, some granola bars, and some other stuff I can't remember. I didn't eat much, but it was nice knowing it was there just in case.