DAT MALFUNCTION/KAPLAN SELF-PACED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vdmwx2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I took the DAT last month, and the computer malfunctioned, thus I have to retake the exam. I am wondering what people thought of Kaplans On-line self study?

I only have a month to take it, so I'd have to do the course in that amount of time. I am very dedicated and would study every day, just wondering if it's worth the money, strengths, weaknesses?

Members don't see this ad.

That's terrible, but I'd highly avoid Kaplan as much as you can. Not worth the money.

I took an in person course a while back. The problem with the course was that there wasn't enough time between sessions to learn anything. The on-line course is probably different. I felt their materials weren't up to par with other resources and you basically have to study what they want you to study. I'm not saying it won't be helpful, but I really don't think it's worth the price tag of $1,000 (wow....). What did you use when you studied originally?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Since you've taken the test quite recently, that means a lot of the material is still in your head. I'd just buy qvault/datgenius/datbootcamp question banks and work on those.

This way you can figure out what you do know and what you dont. You dont want to waste time trying to relearn concepts you already know.

Computer malfunction? Seriously?
I have personally been involved with many students through the years that have reported computer malfunctions and other issues that affected their ability to take the DAT. I always advise students to make sure you report anything that happens during the test to the test proctor immediately. The ADA is very understanding if you have a legitimate reason and and allow you to take the exam again generally within a week or 2.

This is what is stated on the 2016 ADA DAT Guide

"If you experience problems with testing conditions during administration of the test, you must stop testing and notify the Test Center Administrator immediately. Testing should not be resumed until the issue has been documented and resolved by the Test Center Administrator. Unresolved concerns must be submitted in writing within five business days of the testing appointment to [email protected]. Upon receipt of the information, we will conduct an investigation and notify you of the outcome. Candidates with documented, unresolved testing issues may be offered the opportunity to retest within 30 days. Scores cannot be cancelled or adjusted under any circumstances"

Hope this helps..

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
I have personally been involved with many students through the years that have reported computer malfunctions and other issues that affected their ability to take the DAT. I always advise students to make sure you report anything that happens during the test to the test proctor immediately. The ADA is very understanding if you have a legitimate reason and and allow you to take the exam again generally within a week or 2.

This is what is stated on the 2016 ADA DAT Guide

"If you experience problems with testing conditions during administration of the test, you must stop testing and notify the Test Center Administrator immediately. Testing should not be resumed until the issue has been documented and resolved by the Test Center Administrator. Unresolved concerns must be submitted in writing within five business days of the testing appointment to [email protected]. Upon receipt of the information, we will conduct an investigation and notify you of the outcome. Candidates with documented, unresolved testing issues may be offered the opportunity to retest within 30 days. Scores cannot be cancelled or adjusted under any circumstances"

Hope this helps..

Nancy

Can a student intentionally shut the computer down and then claim it was an unintentional malfunction so he can get more time to study until he takes the dat after a week or 2?

Can a student intentionally shut the computer down and then claim it was an unintentional malfunction so he can get more time to study until he takes the dat after a week or 2?
I think you are joking, but if you are not the answer is no, the ADA has ways to determine exactly what happened during the test and when the computer malfunctioned. No way you are going to fool the ADA, they smell a rat a mile away. LOL

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think dentistry is right career choice for you.

Reactions: 1 users
It is my understanding that they have cameras installed all over the testing workstation to monitor student's activities. I don't think the outcome will be pleasant if a student intentionally did something to claim a malfunction.

Reactions: 1 users
It is my understanding that they have cameras installed all over the testing workstation to monitor student's activities. I don't think the outcome will be pleasant if a student intentionally did something to claim a malfunction.
They do have cameras that is fact. A few years a go one of my students accidentally took his car keys in the testing center. He took that DAT, scored very high and called it a day. A few weeks later he was contacted by the ADA stating they had reviewed film of him with keys at his desk and they negated his scores. He had to take the DAT again, crazy story but true. I have heard all sorts of things through the years.

Nancy