DAT math destroyer wrong solution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chackoaltes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time posting, so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.
I'm looking at math destroyer practice test 2, problem 8:
Donna says that she was 21 when her daughter Trish was born. When asked how old her daughter is today, Donna said that in 6 years she will be 6 more than twice her daughter's age. How old is Trish?

Seems extremely simple. When I do the math, I get 21. Why on Earth are they saying the answer is 9? That doesn't even make sense. If her daughter is 9, then in 6 years, Donna will be 24 (6 more than 9*2). Which means Donna is currently 18 and her daughter isn't even born yet? Am I just missing something obvious?? Really scares me that I am using this resource to study, unless I'm embarrassingly wrong of course.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer should be 9.***

Doing the math out, you get two equations: REDONE***
D = 21 + T
D + 6 = 2(T + 6) + 6 ----> D = 2T + 12 -- red is because the daughter will age too
Substitute and you get: 2T + 12 = 21 + T ---> T = 9.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The answer should be 21, you're right. Both the DAT Destroyer and the Math Destroyer have a few mistakes in them, and this is one.

Doing the math out, you get two equations:
D = 21 + T
D + 6 = 2T + 6 ----> D = 2T
Substitute and you get: 2T = 21 + T ---> T = 21.

Your reasoning for the 9 is correct too, it doesn't make any sense lol. Don't worry, you got it right and the problem just has a typo. Keep going, you got this!

Thanks for the quick reply! Did you use the math destroyer to study? I was just wondering if you know of a comprehensive list of mistakes in their solutions or something like that? I don't want to learn the wrong thing if they published mistakes for a more difficult problem that I don't know how to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Donna was 21 when her daughter was born. If Donna's daughter is 9 years old, that means Donna is 30. In 6 years Donna will be 36 and her daughter will be 15. 36 is 6 more than 15x2=30.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the quick reply! Did you use the math destroyer to study? I was just wondering if you know of a comprehensive list of mistakes in their solutions or something like that? I don't want to learn the wrong thing if they published mistakes for a more difficult problem that I don't know how to do.
Sorry, the answer is 9, thanks to BullGator1004! We can't forget to account for the fact that the daughter will age too lol! I did use the Math Destroyer, I did 16 of the 18 tests I think. I don't think there is a comprehensive list of mistakes unfortunately, sorry. This was just a tricky question, with a really easy mistake to make. I fixed my solution from earlier!

Donna was 21 when her daughter was born. If Donna's daughter is 9 years old, that means Donna is 30. In 6 years Donna will be 36 and her daughter will be 15. 36 is 6 more than 15x2=30.
Thanks for your response! Silly mistake on my part

Sorry, the answer is 9, thanks to BullGator1004! We can't forget to account for the fact that the daughter will age too lol! I did use the Math Destroyer, I did 16 of the 18 tests I think. I don't think there is a comprehensive list of mistakes unfortunately, sorry. This was just a tricky question, with a really easy mistake to make. I fixed my solution from earlier!
Haha can't believe I didn't see that. Tried working the problem for awhile before I posted on here. Thanks for your help! Hmm that's weird. My version only has 11 tests

Haha can't believe I didn't see that. Tried working the problem for awhile before I posted on here. Thanks for your help! Hmm that's weird. My version only has 11 tests
I had the 2017 version (bought it like June-July of last year)! I guess they must have cut it down in the 2018 version.