DAT Math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr7!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My math skills are very very poor. I even have trouble doing conversions involving square yards etc... I think my math foundation is weak. I don't understand a lot of solutions because they use shorcuts for steps they assume you know and I need full explanation such as why they cross multiplied and divided and took square root of etc. What suggestions do you have for someone who struggles at even basic math so I can score well on the QR section. I couldn't answer one single question on the Bootcamp QR Practice Test. The quantitative comparison threw me off too. Any advice on where to start to build up my math skills especially for one who doesn't understand math? I'd like to think that anyone can become good at math but it's always been something i've feared and struggled at. I want hope.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your best bet is to start with khan academy and go through all their math videos plus practice questions. If you have coursesaver, chad's videos could be helpful too, but he goes through each topic fairly quickly. Youtube is also a great source, Fort Bend tutoring has some great step by step videos on many topics tested on the DAT.

As for quantitative comparison, you will get better at the section once you master the fundamental concepts in algebra, geometry etc.

feel free to message me if you need help!

To get better at math, you just have to work through a ton of problems. If you get a problem wrong, go over the solution and come back to it later. Repeat over and over again. Bootcamp is perfect for this method.

If you really struggle that much with math, GC might be a problem for you as well. Again, just do a ton of problems until it becomes second nature.

Members don't see this ad :)
My math skills are very very poor. I even have trouble doing conversions involving square yards etc... I think my math foundation is weak. I don't understand a lot of solutions because they use shorcuts for steps they assume you know and I need full explanation such as why they cross multiplied and divided and took square root of etc. What suggestions do you have for someone who struggles at even basic math so I can score well on the QR section. I couldn't answer one single question on the Bootcamp QR Practice Test. The quantitative comparison threw me off too. Any advice on where to start to build up my math skills especially for one who doesn't understand math? I'd like to think that anyone can become good at math but it's always been something i've feared and struggled at. I want hope.

Make sure you go through the problems attached and if you have the math destroyer do ALL the work if you want to feel confident on test day.

This is what you need, Chads/Khan videos, MATH DESTROYER, GRE practice tests

Dr. Romano

Attachments

• Problems and Solutions QC 2017.pdf
    446.2 KB · Views: 86
Do khans video first then move on to math destroyer. Khans video teaches you the very foundation of math ( like algebra, geometry) after watching that you should be pretty decent in math. Then, you can move on to math destroyer and it'll take you to a different level. In the end, you should use bootcamp to see what range of scores you getting and get extra practice