DAT noob

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentase

Powered by tooth knockn
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldnt find a good source of getting this information so ...
I know there are several parts of the DAT like bio,chem,etc.. But how is it graded into a total score of 30. Does each section summate to the total 30?
Also what is the PAT, I see on the forums people posting their DAT scores and they mention this.
I dont know much about the DAT so anything would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Bio/orgo/genchem/QR/RC make up your Academic Average. Each section is out of a total possible score of 30 so if you get a 30 on each section, your composite score is 30.

PAT is its own section. Deals with spatial reasoning, we can describe it but it will make more sense if you just look at some practice problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldnt find a good source of getting this information so ...

I find this incredibly hard to believe. Would the more accurate statement be that you just didn't Google it?

Reactions: 1 user
I find this incredibly hard to believe. Would the more accurate statement be that you just didn't Google it?
I did google it it just comes up information on what each
Each section receives a score out of 30 and the 5 academic sections are averaged with the highest average being 30. PAT is out of 30 but is a separate score.

http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/dat_test_sampleitems.ashx
Do you take the PAT with the DAT? and what is the PAT

PAT is Perceptual Ability Test that measures your ability to rotate 3D images in your head. It's supposed to help you for dental school and helps measure how well you will perform clinically but I have heard controversial statements about PAT's ability to predict student's future potential. The academic side of DAT is a strong predictor though.

I don't think you did thorough research bud...but i'll help you out anyways. The PAT or Peripheral Aptitude Test comes at the end of the DAT. It tests your 3D spatial and visualization skills. It is best to aim for at least 20 on this section. It is a separate score from the DAT. You should def. check the ADA website. They are the source to go to for basic DAT info.

PAT is Perceptual Ability Test that measures your ability to rotate 3D images in your head. It's supposed to help you for dental school and helps measure how well you will perform clinically but I have heard controversial statements about PAT's ability to predict student's future potential. The academic side of DAT is a strong predictor though.

Actually, you are correct about the PAT predicting the student's future as a dentist. My dentist scored an 18 on it and he is doing fine. :)