DAT Now or in 3 Weeks??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jar046

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently signed up to take my DAT this tuesday Aug 20; however, I am only averaging between 18-20 on DAT Bootcamp practice tests. My question is should I stay the course and take it next week and hope for 20-22, or should I re-schedule? I really need to try and score 21+ due to my avg gpa of 3.2 and science gpa of 3.6. I still have yet to submit my application because I am waiting on my scores until I submit it. Is pushing my test back 3 more weeks to aim for 21+ better than taking it next week and scoring a 19 or maybe 20?

Please note, I have already pushed this exam back twice and my family is really starting to get upset with me including my wife, but I know that once I take it, that it will be the last time I can take it until December which will put me out of the running for admissions to my state school if I dont score well enough on it this go around. Please people with DAT taking experience shed some light my way...

Members don't see this ad.

There is nothing wrong with extending it by a week. That will give you a solid week to simply focus on the material that you are still struggling with or simply want to improve on. A week isn't going to hurt you. I have extended my test multiple times. Again you never feel entirely ready for these types of exams but going in with a positive mind and confidence is crucial. Good luck:)

If you are confident in your knowledge and preparation, you will most likely score a bit higher on your real DAT than your practice exams. My BootCamp scores were averaging 18-21 (18 on a bad day, 21 on a good day); my real scores ranged from 20-26.

Don't push back the exam too far, otherwise you will only frustrate yourself over the stress of the test (as well as spending the extra money). When you're mentally prepared and just want to get the test over with, you'll be as prepared as you'll ever be.

Most of the DAT prep programs aim to crush and disillusion you, but it is in the hopes that you will score much higher on the actual test. Schools admit students on a rolling basis. The quicker you apply then the more interview opportunties you will have. But that is not the sole aspect, you still need to do well. Remember that it will take time for your scores to reach AADSAS, then they have to process it. Dive in and give it your best!