DAT OC odyssey Ch4. Stereochemistry #28, #40, need answer to this questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qkrgkssk

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need help with this two question from Organic Chemistry Odyssey.
I have attached a picture of these questions.
#28, I am confused why C=O has priority over CH-BR, giving the answer as D (2S, 3R).
I was thinking that C=O should be higher priority since it has no Hydrogen attached making it (2R, 3R).
#40 I was thinking the answer should be active racemic mixture for Br2/light reaction. The answer was B. I need explanation how it is a inactive racemic mixture.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-02-14-20-12-37.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-02-14-20-12-37.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 37
  • KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-02-14-18-46-15.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-02-14-18-46-15.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 39
#28 Chiral center priorities are ranked by atomic number not by how many H's are attached

#40 Br2/Light -> Radical rxn -> always attacks carbon where it will form the most stable radical -> you will get a mixture of R & S products (racemic) which cancels each other out (inactive).

수고하셔요~

Reactions: 1 user
40.) Ok, so it's inactive because you took the H away and pretty much anything denatured becomes inactive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
40.) Ok, so it's inactive because you took the H away and pretty much anything denatured becomes inactive.
It has nothing to do with denaturing lol
It's literally meaning "optically" inactive.

If you just form a single product, it will be active as there IS a chiral center.
However, if you look as a whole R & S will cancel out. (as they are racemic = 50:50)

Well maybe I am wrong, but thought of it like this.... if you took the H away now the methyl isnt rigid, so inactive. So binding would be a different orientation as before.

#28 Chiral center priorities are ranked by atomic number not by how many H's are attached

#40 Br2/Light -> Radical rxn -> always attacks carbon where it will form the most stable radical -> you will get a mixture of R & S products (racemic) which cancels each other out (inactive).

수고하셔요~

Thank you for the reply~ :) 감사해요~

Last edited: