Tarver330

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
Status
I took it yesterday: AA 22, TS 23, PAT 21. I took the Kaplan online course which I found helpful but antiquated. They really need to update the course for $1,000. I also used Topscore which I found acceptably realistic. My Kaplan/Topscore scores were pretty much dead-on with the PAT maybe going down 1-2 points.

Sciences: I used the Kaplan book and studied my biology textbook which was a big waste of time as everything you need is in the Kaplan book. The sciences were surprisingly straightforward. Just memorize the book and you have no choice but to do well. Seriously, bio isn't that bad!

PAT: Angles weren't that bad. It's quite obvious that everything is a scanned copy of the paper test and not digital which doesn't help but everything is still readable. Cubes, holepunch, and folding were easy. Apertures and Ortho were medium hard with a few oddballs. WATCH YOU TIME!!

Reading Comp: I didn't read a single passage. I read the questions and then looked for the answer. So, I didn't follow Kaplan's "Key" method which seems time consuming for little gain. Expect some subjective "what's the tone" sort of questions.

Quant: Pretty basic but I ran out of time because I was pretty burned out by this point in the test so stay focused. Kaplan book is sufficient and Topscore was probably harder than actual.

WARNING: make sure you leave 30 seconds at the end of each section to review your scores. I did this and was shocked to find that the computer didn't record an answer for 1-3 questions per section and had to re-click my answers. That would have been really bad!

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
Status
Great Job! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Are you applying for 2005 or 06?

lakersfan

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
los angeles, ca
Status
Medical Student
Tarver330 said:
I took it yesterday: AA 22, TS 23, PAT 21. I took the Kaplan online course which I found helpful but antiquated. They really need to update the course for $1,000. I also used Topscore which I found acceptably realistic. My Kaplan/Topscore scores were pretty much dead-on with the PAT maybe going down 1-2 points.

Sciences: I used the Kaplan book and studied my biology textbook which was a big waste of time as everything you need is in the Kaplan book. The sciences were surprisingly straightforward. Just memorize the book and you have no choice but to do well. Seriously, bio isn't that bad!

PAT: Angles weren't that bad. It's quite obvious that everything is a scanned copy of the paper test and not digital which doesn't help but everything is still readable. Cubes, holepunch, and folding were easy. Apertures and Ortho were medium hard with a few oddballs. WATCH YOU TIME!!

Reading Comp: I didn't read a single passage. I read the questions and then looked for the answer. So, I didn't follow Kaplan's "Key" method which seems time consuming for little gain. Expect some subjective "what's the tone" sort of questions.

Quant: Pretty basic but I ran out of time because I was pretty burned out by this point in the test so stay focused. Kaplan book is sufficient and Topscore was probably harder than actual.

WARNING: make sure you leave 30 seconds at the end of each section to review your scores. I did this and was shocked to find that the computer didn't record an answer for 1-3 questions per section and had to re-click my answers. That would have been really bad!
congrats on ur scores...thanks for the post, very helpful...especially the part of cpu not recording answer for 1-3 questions

JakeMUSC

D3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Charleston, SC
Status
nice work....go celebrate a little :clap:

Gurl21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Status
Tarver330 said:

What do you mean in saying that Kaplan is antiquated. Please clarify, you're worrying me because I am currently using kaplan.

OP
T

Tarver330

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
Status
Gurl21 said:
What do you mean in saying that Kaplan is antiquated. Please clarify, you're worrying me because I am currently using kaplan.
By antiquated I mean it's not updated. I have my brother's books/notes from 2000 and it's IDENTICAL to the 2004 course. The subject tests/questions are all scanned PDF files instead of digital reproductions and most of them have 1999 as the published date.

Dentist 2 be

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Status
Non-Student
From what I have heard, the DAT has'nt really changed in the past 5 years in terms of the subjects, so it would kind of make sense that Kaplan uses the same material. One would expect Kaplan to come up with new stuff every year since basically they are making $1000 from each student by simply copying and reproducing the same material.

GENERAL TSO

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Status
Dentist 2 be said:
From what I have heard, the DAT has'nt really changed in the past 5 years in terms of the subjects, so it would kind of make sense that Kaplan uses the same material. One would expect Kaplan to come up with new stuff every year since basically they are making $1000 from each student by simply copying and reproducing the same material.

guess theres no reason to update a proven system.

seems like everyone that does KAPLAN does good on DAT

TX Hopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2004
Status
Good effort and well done on the exam. Hard work definitely pays off, and I agree with a lot you had to say in your original post.

Kick back and relax for a couple of days and kick back a few cocktails in celebration. A lot of weight has been lifted from your shoulders..... at least until AADSAS opens and interviews commence.

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
That's some high scores! Congrats to you. You deserve it.

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Cleveland so does not rock....
Status
You totally rocked the DAT! Congrats, and good luck on choosing your school.