DAT PAT last 2 weeks advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatoneKorean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my DAT in less than 2 weeks and want some tips regarding the PAT section. I have been practicing and recording the PAT generator for DAT bootcamp for the past 20 days and have been getting an average of 9-10/10 for cube counting/TFE/Hole Punching(these 3 sections were rather easy for me from the start too), but getting low scores for Pattern folding(6-7/10), Angle rank(5-8/10), and Key hole(4-6/10). Any advice on how to improve my score for the 3 sections of the PAT I am doing bad on? Thanks. Lastly, I have been using the Hill strategy and rapid eye movement for the angle ranking so any other strategy for it would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Pattern folding. Get better at knowing where the edges meet. Also develop way to find the answer through points of reference. The real exam will have some unique shape foldings, but you should not have to rely on that. I was able to go from 1-2 right to 13-14/15 on the generators and practice exams.

Cubes, go slow, and get faster. There should be no reason not to get a 12-15 on this. It is one of the easier tests and practice. Make sure you follow a counting pattern to make sure you don't skip cubes/ double count.

Angles: if you can get 7-8 on the generator out of 15 you should be alright. The DAT is easier for angles than bootcamp. Get used to how the answers will be formatted on the exam.
Keyhole- go slow find the issues wrong with each view. Also, get good at knowing the top, end, and front view and how they look backwards to help assist, as the right answer may be flipped.

Angles...I use the answers to narrow down two choices for comparison and don't worry too much about it because it's just not worth the time.

Key hole... I pick one detail and see which have it then mark off options from there. Also keep in mind they care about the dimensions so if something is much smaller it will be wrong.

Cubes... first I make sure to count in some kind of order like bottom left to top right one column at a time. Second I make sure to make a tally sheet of the number of boxes.

Pattern folding... I youtube some ideas and they kind of talked me through it. I would recommend watching a video. But to explain in short, pick a unique shape and look at what it will be next to.

Pattern folding. Get better at knowing where the edges meet. Also develop way to find the answer through points of reference. The real exam will have some unique shape foldings, but you should not have to rely on that. I was able to go from 1-2 right to 13-14/15 on the generators and practice exams.

Cubes, go slow, and get faster. There should be no reason not to get a 12-15 on this. It is one of the easier tests and practice. Make sure you follow a counting pattern to make sure you don't skip cubes/ double count.

Angles: if you can get 7-8 on the generator out of 15 you should be alright. The DAT is easier for angles than bootcamp. Get used to how the answers will be formatted on the exam.
Keyhole- go slow find the issues wrong with each view. Also, get good at knowing the top, end, and front view and how they look backwards to help assist, as the right answer may be flipped.

For the actual DAT are most of the problems angle problems revolved around a 4 degrees difference? Because I get all of my 4 degrees right but get the 3 degrees wrong( have to get lucky sometimes) often for the DAT bootcamp.

I wouldn't know exact angle differences. But there are some really hard ones, really easy ones, and medium. Bootcamp seems to be all hard/medium