DAT Prep Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[DDS] Samer

Grind don't stop.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting in the correct section.
I am currently a second year student attending a Canadian University of undergrad. I am having trouble deciding whether I should write the DAT this year or next year. I plan to study for it during the summer and then review until November since I will be writing the Canadian DAT. However, I am not sure if I should take a DAT prep course. The only one offered in Windsor, Ontario is Kaplan - On-Site class which is basically a class online where the teacher is on webcam. My problem is I don't have an issue studying by myself or keeping myself motivated, my issue comes in the fact that I do not want to focus on things that I shouldn't be. For example, I heard from many students who have written the DAT that genetics is not if importance. Thus, I do not want to spend a lot of time on genetics when I could be studying other subject. So I don't really know if I should take the course because I'm pretty sure they are going to re-teach me things I already know. But then again, if it will help me, I would rather take it.

Also I was wondering, I am a Canadian student but I may also want to write the American DAT since you can write it at any time of the year. In the event that I chose to do so, is there any way I can get Canadian Dental Schools to look at that score? -- I would much rather write the American DAT in the summer than have to write the Canadian in November with 5 other midterm exams.

Thanks all,
Samer

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Samer,

Fellow Canadian here. I really think that DAT Prep courses are a huge waste of money (~$1300) if you can keep yourself motivated. With regards to "not wasting time on things you don't need": You have to go over EVERYTHING that can be tested in biology and there's no way genetics isn't important in the DAT (in both DATs I've taken genetics has come up in at least 3 questions). What I mean to say is that the test is different every single time, so don't be fooled by people telling you "you don't really need to know this".
To study for the cDAT Bio I recommend Ferali's notes and Examkrackers Biology (and yes, I realize that the latter is an MCAT resource, but when it comes to DAT biology the more exposure, the better off you'll be). For chem I would say that Chad's GChem is wonderful resource and incredibly cheap. For the PAT, I purchased and practiced with Crack the DAT PAT (10 test edition) and thought it was a good indicator of my performance in the actual DAT (though it is a bit pricey).

Here is a list of the topics tested for bio and chem:
Biology - origin of life; cell metabolism (including photosynthesis); enzymology; cellular processes; thermodynamics; organelle structure and function; mitosis/meiosis; biological organization and relationship of major taxa (using the five-kingdom system: monera, planti; anamalia; protista; fungi); Vertebrate Anatomy and Physiology - structure and function of vertebrate systems (integumentary, skeletal, muscular, circulatory, immunological, digestive, respiratory, urinary, nervous/senses, endocrine, and reproductive); Developmental Biology - fertilization, descriptive embryology, and developmental mechanisms; Genetics: molecular genetics; human genetics; classical genetics; Chromosomal genetics; Evaluation, Ecology, and Behaviour: natural selection; population genetics/speciation; cladistics; population and community ecology; ecosystems; animal behaviour (including social).

General Chemistry – Stoichiometry and General Concepts (percent composition; empirical formulae; balancing equations; moles and molecular formulas; molecular formula weights; molar mass; density; calculations from balanced equations; gases (kinetic molecular theory of gases; Dalton's, Boyle's, Charles', and ideal gas laws); liquids and solids; (intermolecular forces; phase changes; vapour pressure; structures; polarity; properties); Solutions (polarity; properties; colligative; non-colligative; forces; concentration calculations) Acids and Bases (pH; strength; BrØnsted-Lowry reactions; calculations) Chemical Equilibria (molecular; acid/base; precipitation; calculations; Le Chatelier's principle); Thermodynamics and Thermochemistry (law of thermodynamics; Hess's law; spontaneity; enthalpies and entropies; heat transfer) Chemical Kinetics (rate laws; activation energy; half-life) Oxidation-Reduction Reactions (balancing equations; determination of oxidation numbers; electrochemical calculations; electrochemical concepts and terminology) Atomic and Molecular Structure (electron configuration; orbital types; Lewis-Dot diagrams; atomic theory; quantum theory; molecular geometry; bond types; sub-atomic particles) Periodic Properties (representative elements; transition elements; periodic trends; descriptive chemistry) Nuclear Reactions (balancing equations; binding energy; decay processes; particles; terminology) Laboratory (basic techniques; equipment; error analysis; safety; data analysis)

http://www.cda-adc.ca/en/becoming/dat/information/

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Get Cliffs, Destroyer and CrackDAT. These materials will give you all the basic material that is nesessary for you to study for the DAT.
You master those, you should be fine.

Don't need to take a prep course if you are motivated to study, you wont be missing out on anything really crucial if you don't take the class. Also don't skip out on the genetics, it was on my test. Good luck

In addition to saving hundreds of dollars by purchasing prep material yourself, you will also be purchasing resources that have been proven by the SDN community to earn top scores. I never took a Kaplan course, but I have read many reviews commenting on how much of a waste of money it was.

You will have everything you need to score 20+ across all sections if you purchase Destroyer and Math Destroyer, Chad's videos, Crack DAT PAT (& possibly reading), DAT Bootcamp and DAT Qvault. Add in Cliff's AP book (3rd edition) and Feralis' notes (find on Bootcamp site for free) for Bio and you will be set. Best of luck