DAT prep course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cerebelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much would you be willing to pay for a prep course taught by a current dental student who could also give guidance on all aspects of the application process (essays, timeframes, etc)?

How much have you paid for printed prep material and what did you use? Was it helpful and would you recommend it to others?

Thanks for any and all feedback! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

you can get all that here for FREE!

so, to answer your question: nothing!

the material on the dat is better taught by graduate TAs then current dental students....the material is easy but volumous. therefore, the only time you will (re)learn the stuff is practice and repetition....not b/c a current dental student is teaching you.

jb!

:cool: kaplan classes are useless
study on your own and read for 6hr/day for 4 weeks...you will score 20's and 21's...

[QUOTE='11]:cool: kaplan classes are useless
study on your own and read for 6hr/day for 4 weeks...you will score 20's and 21's...[/QUOTE]

I don't agree. Kaplan online course organize your studying for you. That's what I needed. When I realized what I was up against with the DAT, I didn't know where to begin. Should I memorize everything I've ever learned in 4 years of college? No. They emphasize key areas and provide a lot of subject tests. If you don't understand an answer on the subject tests, consult your text-books. It's no use to go back and read all your college text-books.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clapton said:
I don't agree. Kaplan online course organize your studying for you. That's what I needed. When I realized what I was up against with the DAT, I didn't know where to begin. Should I memorize everything I've ever learned in 4 years of college? No. They emphasize key areas and provide a lot of subject tests. If you don't understand an answer on the subject tests, consult your text-books. It's no use to go back and read all your college text-books.

I agree Kaplan helped to organize my time and thoughts. The book keeps everything together. You can focus on your weak areas than pull your score up. However, Kaplan is just a supplement. I use Topscore, Ochem and Gen Chem softwear as well as audio books.

Yeah I have to agree with few things...

Kaplan sucks, because they charge way too much... :mad: the classes are BS because the teachers are average students like us... who are reading off the book... :sleep:

Kaplan does organize majority of the things that you would need to know for the DAT... Schaums and someother books are not intended for just DAT so they go into more details... however Kaplan is limited, as far as the depth they go into... for added support... just add Kaplan with little bit of other things to improve your scores.... :idea:

I think SDN is probably the most helpful site as far as getting help... you can ask questions about anything... help with DAT stuff... applying... anything...

you should save that money and use it for applying... :laugh:

DMDorDDS said:

I think SDN is probably the most helpful site as far as getting help... you can ask questions about anything... help with DAT stuff... applying... anything...

you should save that money and use it for applying... :laugh:

VERY True!!! during my study breaks i go on SDN and try to answer as many questions as possible, while looking for the answers i manage to learn a thing or two. I don't know if its just me, but i seem to remember the stuff I look up more than the stuff i try study. :laugh: :laugh: I'd say if you look thru all the questions asked on SDN you'll be pretty prepared for the DAT, everyone gives in depth answers and excellent explantions.

As for the prep courses, I didn't take any but was given the kaplan material. I just used it as an outline for my studies. So far its been going well, But there is alot of material though so prepare ahead. I'd say most of the useful materials were my notes and textbooks.