DAT Prep: How long does it take???

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by lilchinoboy03, Jul 27, 2006.

1. lilchinoboy03

Pre-Dental
    How many months did all you folks spend studying for the DATs??? I'm taking Kaplan DAT course next month...it runs about 2 months long..2 times a week..and they suggest I take the DATs right after the course ends...do you guys think the 2 months of coursework and my own intense studying for the DATs will suffice to get good numbers??? As it is summer...this is the best time for me to concentrate primarily on DAT studying...when the school year starts again..im afraid I may become a bit preoccupied. Anyway...what do you guys think?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member

Study as much as possible and take it when ready. If you want to do really well you may need to go beyond the Kaplan course. Good luck :)

4. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub

Dentist
    Do you have a job or non-Kaplan classes that are taking up your time right now?

If not, you should be able to study 10+ hours per day and I'm sure you'll be ready to take it the week before Fall semester starts.

I have a job that was taking up all of my time and energy and I still managed to pack 90% of my study time into the last 3 weeks before the exam.

5. illustrator

illustrator Web Development

Pre-Dental
    OK, here's my story.
    I took kaplan courses from May 16~June 30 (tues+thurs).
    I took the DAT on July 12th. mean while, I studied on my own all
    along. about 10 hours a day even when i had to go to kaplan
    courses around 6pm.

(I could have studied a little bit more to get a better score;
    though i have no regrets; :D )

6. deejay

deejay OHH YEAH!

Dental Student
    2.5 good weeks of studying assuming you've taken science classes and its mostly just review.

7. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member

Dental Student
    I say study until your practice tests score a point or two above your goal. This is different for everyone. If you go in without an idea of your expected score, it will just add stress to your test.

8. polarnut

polarnut Senior Member

if you dont want anything like my score, just dont study for the DAT while you're still juggling 5 classes and part time job and volunteer work.

9. illustrator

illustrator Web Development

Pre-Dental
    what are you talking about? your score is fantastic

10. teefie

teefie Member

Pre-Dental
    studied for two weeks with weekends off. 14 to 16 hours a day. kaplan was a huge waste of time of money. personally i suggest taking the money and time and putting it toward studying on your own. you can get all of their practice test on this forum. that was the only usefull part of the class. other than that study till you cant possibly learn any more.

11. Cablindian

Cablindian Member

Dentist
    I'm taking the Kaplan course now in DC. It's great! It started July 27th and ends August 17th. I'm aiming for at least a 22AA. Study throughout the course, and take the test right after the end of the course while the info and strategies are still fresh in your head.

Good luck!

12. pucca

pucca New Member

Pre-Dental
    hey just curious, i have two questions.

ONE, what year are all of you in school?

and

TWO, I go to MIT, and our grades there are very very hard to get. For example, I have not gotten an A yet. Do you think dental schools take into account of (not-so-common) cases like this where they know the courseload and rigor is insane?

thanks =)

13. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member

Dental Student
    I've heard that adcoms do consider difficulty of coursework and institutional reputation. I've had friends graduate from MIT, in engineering, with 3.8 GPAs. However, if you rock the DAT you can offset a lower GPA than you think you would get somewhere else. Study for the DAT until you're ready. Work the practice problems.