DAT preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmd1272

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips on preparing for the PAT, please

Members don't see this ad.

What about studying! It's easy! Just sit down and move your eyes over the line in the book!
I did it ,too! [22/24]
:D

the best way is to just practice...I think the pat stuff is the more you practice, the better off you'll be :)

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by 2touth02:
•What about studying! It's easy! Just sit down and move your eyes over the line in the book!
I did it ,too! [22/24]
:D •••••Pretty funny 2touth02, but nah, I'm new to the site I was just looking for some general feedback.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by simseema17:
•the best way is to just practice...I think the pat stuff is the more you practice, the better off you'll be :) •••••thanks...I've ordered the Kaplan DAT book and I got the MCAT books from Examkrackers.com and these are awesome so I'm going to supplement the examkracker's stuff with the Kaplan and I heard about the Topscore Cd. Has anybody tried this cd ?

for the sciences, you gotta sit down and study. I suggest not preparing no more than 2 weeks in advance. Dont take any prepatory courses unless youre motivated (people fool themselves into learning that wayd). For the PAT, some people are good at it, and some people arent. If youre good at it, just familiarize yourself with it. If you arent, do what MCAT studiers do--try to go over as many PAT problems as humanly possible!!
good luck :clap:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by LucidDreamer:
•for the sciences, you gotta sit down and study. I suggest not preparing no more than 2 weeks in advance. Dont take any prepatory courses unless youre motivated (people fool themselves into learning that wayd). For the PAT, some people are good at it, and some people arent. If youre good at it, just familiarize yourself with it. If you arent, do what MCAT studiers do--try to go over as many PAT problems as humanly possible!!
good luck :clap: •••••thanks, I feel pretty good about the Orgo section, for GChm and Bio I have to review my but off, for the PAT same thing, I read another entry that the DAT puts more emphasis on taxonomy than human physiology, can anybody share their thought on this :D

Hey DMD..i got the Topscore cd and it was pretty good...i also got hte Kaplan cd to study with..so with those 2 cds + ochem/gchem boox from the library + class notes...just study hard and focus on what you are lacking in..as far as pat...practice,practice and practice:)
good luck

thanks so much, I'll get the Topscore Cd as well... :wink:

question for Lucid dreamer
what is the advantage of not studying for more than 2weeks prior to the exam?
two weeks doesnt seem enough for me.

ALI

To ALI:

What I meant to say is dont "review" more than 2 weeks prior. You already put 4 years of studying at an undergraduate institution. I bought the Kaplan Book and CD 1 week before the exam and went through the entire book during that week and I did pretty decent. I suggest going to the library or somewhere quiet where you cant be bothered.

Anyone interested in buying the Kaplan DAT review from me?

find someone w/ old exams

hi...

i agree with everyone in that the trick to mastering the PAT section is simply to practice. do as many problems as you can...i used the kaplan materials (cd is really awesome!) and the topscore cd. beware...the topscore cd has many mistakes in it in terms of problems as well as answers...so use at your own discretion...

i guess something more concrete...when you do the problems...you don't necessarily need to construct the complete 3D image in your head to be able to answer the questions...remember the DAT is a test in which strategy and timing are key. it saves a lot of time if you can recognize patterns and eliminate answer choices...for example...for the top-front-end view section...it's so hard to picture what the 3D object actually looks like...so realize that you don't need to know what the object looks like to answer the question...know what solid lines and dashed lines mean...and by eliminating answer choices and some strategic deductions...you can get the right answer...

hope this made sense...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasabi007,
I was reading through the stats page and noticed that you have some serious DAT scores!! As a 1st time applicant this June, I am very undecided on how to study for the DAT and would like to know if you would recommend signing up for the Kaplan DAT course. Also, did you take the Kaplan course or just learned the strategies by yourself?? I have to either put up the cash or start studying on my own and soon!! Thanks in advance.

For Stargirl, do you know where I can get some old test, I called the DAT administration and they said, they no longer sell those like the MCAT does. If anyone can help, please email me at [email protected]

thanks guys, I like the camraderie that all the pre-dents seem to have towards the profession especially coming from an accounting background... thanks again.

dmd1272,

The only released DAT that I know of is the one that is included in the DAT registration book. I believe it was given in 1992 or 93?

I wasn't aware that the ADA sold previous DAT exams in the past. If you manage to find any, those exams might be too old to use as an indicator of your performance on the actual exam. Probably a similar situation to the 1993 exam. It's fun to take and certainly is a valid method to test your competency on certain subjects -- but because it is nearly 10 years old I wouldn't necessarily use it as an indicator of future performance on the real exam.

I'm signed up for the DAT on May 31, so I'm in the midst of studying right now and know how you feel!

Wasabi is right. You dont have to construct a mental image of the object for some of the problems in the PAT, especially if there are just too many details to look at. What I do is focus on a particular detail and see if it matches with the other side view. I find that these are actually easier because you can use the process of elimination. If anything, try to go through as many problems as you can. Angle discrimanation and cube counting is just too easy. As for keyhole fitting, the ones you are most likely to miss are the ones that create an optical illusion. I remember just sitting there with a particular problem and saying, "NO, this cant be right" good luck :clap:

I hear you, I've acquired the Kaplan Dat Book w/cd, Examkrackers MCAT Bio,Och, Gchm, and RCT/Quant. ,Topscore,and Examkrackers Audio Osmosis, I heard the first lect. and wow, its amazing, I'm going nuts guys, I figure I'll setep a study plan coupled with all the advice I've gathered on the PAT from this site and I think I'll be able to kick some serious a$$ on the DAT...yeah there is no other way to do good on these types of exam but to over-prepare I guess...thanks to all those folks for posting your invaluable tips on all topics, this is site is awesome, I'll keep you guys posted on my studying as I get thru the matieral... :clap:

dmd1272,

It sounds as though you've got plenty of materials to assist you in studying!

I think you'll find a point in your studying where you "mesh" with the material and feel as though you are in a very good position score-wise.

I reached that point last week, and it felt as thought I wasn't forgetting a single detail of what I was studying. It's a great feeling, and I truly feel as though I'll have command over the test when the time comes.

Good luck!

ItsGavinC,

thanks I appreciate your insight, this weekend I'm laying out my study plan as far which days I'll study what...how did you approach ? :D

SELLING: brand spanking new Kaplan DAT book w/CD

dmd1272,

I've been plowing throught the Kaplan book by studying it for one hour each day, and using the Kaplan flashcards randomly (even if I haven't read a particular section yet, I've found that the flashcards really spark my memory and I'm surprised at how much I remember). I didn't take the Kaplan course, but I got the flashcards from a friend who did.

School is out for me (BYU) and the end of April. At that point I'll have exactly 5 weeks before the DAT. Once school is out, I plan on devoting 9-4, M-F studying, and 10-2 every other Saturday. Every Saturday I'll be taking a practice test, as well.

I fully anticipate that I'll be prepared for the May 31 test date a couple of weeks early. At that point I'll reevaluate my studying and tone back a bit if I need to.

A big factor in preparing a study plan is to create one that you can stick with. Don't make it unreasonable or you'll just be setting yourself up to fail. Don't allot 8 hours a day to studying if you know you can only do 5. When you quit after the 5th hour you'll feel a little down because you didn't reach 8 hours -- that's not acceptable. Set a realistic goal. If after two weeks of 5 hours days you feel great, then move up to 7 hours a day -- but only if you need it!

One thing I've learned from college is how to study smart. If I can study material for one hour and learn it enough to get a 97%, then there is no point in studying 5 hours to get a 99% or 100%. Just my opinion, but I feel that getting exercise daily and have a recreation break will actually improve your DAT scores in the long run. Keeping yourself healthy will keep your brain happy. On my 9-4 study days, I plan on taking a 30 minute lunch, 15 minute walk, and 15 minute nap/meditation.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I'm really feeling comfortable with the exam at this point, and I've only put in a month or so of studying (1 hr/day) thus far.

Good luck to you!

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to cater your studying to your needs. Take a couple practice exams to figure out where your weaknesses are, and study up in those areas to bring your scores up.

Math is the toughest section for me, but I've brought my scores up to the 17-19 range by studying that area.

Reading and Bio are the easiest sections for me, I've been getting 22-24 on those sections. With a little more practice and strategy I know I can bring those scores up 3-4 points each, whereas I feel I'd have to put in serious time to bring up my math score. I may work on the math score a little more, but feel the Reading/Bio sections will be better producers of points for me and take far less time than the math section.

ItsGavinC,

Yeah, I identify with your style of studying, why setup a plan you can't commit to...everyone has to find their "sweet spot" sort of saying but I love your setup, its very similar to what I had planned, with Saturday and Sunday being my strongest day....I figured, I'll breakdown my studying of Orgo II to a little more structured one in order to incorporate studying for the dat...Personally, I write everything down on my Palm V(luv this things and their cheap on ebay now @$70.00), sorry I'm a palm v freak, I find them indispensable in everyday life from work to studying, its just with you all the time, so your time is very structured, so your more productive but going back to the original point I think your definitely right you've got to stick to it in order to do well on the dat

Itsgavinc
How long have you been studying for the DATS? I am so worried about doing poorly on the exam. I was hoping to take it maybe in July, but I have not even looked at the books! I am so busy with my school work that I really don't have time for the DATS> but I know that every hour does help, and one hour a day would be good.
How do you keep yourself motivated???
I plan on studying really hard in May. I finish school at the end of April, and then, would have May and June to do hardcore studying.....
How much time do you think is ideal? After how long of studying did you start noticing an improvement in score?

Yes, I highly suggest find what works best for them...here's an example...

I know I do my *prime* studying in the early morning...either late morning or in the evening, I must go to the gym (this does wonders!)...

I also like to plan and break things down...I'll say to myself, ok, by the end of this week I'm going to have totally reviewed X. Then I break X down into smaller sections and go from there...then I slowly start putting the parts together and eventually put all of X back together and review/test-myself.

I'm gonna stop rambling, hopefully I've made some sense. Good luck people! :clap:

Beagle,

It's tough to determine how long one should study for the exam. Part of my motivation was thus: I registered to take the exam on May 31 -- and that is what I'm shooting for. I'm now extremely comfortable with that date, and could even probably move it up a week.

I suggest you register for the exam (you were mentioning July) to give yourself a date to shoot for. I believe one of the problems that dental candidates run into with the DAT (versus premeds with the MCAT) is that we get to choose the date we test.

Of course, this is a big help, but I think it also hurts many because they keep putting the exam off until they feel they are "ready". I sort of believe that in order to be "ready" it helps to have a date to work towards -- apply a little pressure to your study schedule, don't just say that you'll take the DAT before summer is over (not that you did!).

Set your DAT date, work your tail off, then move the date up if you feel you're ready -- it'll give you an early summer break. Once you study you'll be amazed at how much you know! Also, I motivate myself just by the fact that I'm learning, or re-learning, some cool stuff.

I saw an improvement in my scores as soon as I started studying. My bio classes didn't cover any taxology, and by studying that section in the Kaplan book I've gained a few questions, etc., etc. Good luck!

All the comments are great! When I was studying for the DAT I used two great books, I think it was Barons and Princeton. I can't remember. I also took the practice tests.

I suggest practicing math without a calculator. Some of the most simple problems take a long time to do by hand. Learn some shortcuts like some common fractions to decimal conversions. Also round the numbers and get an approximate answer, this helps allot. The Barons book had some great tips for the PAT section that helped ALOT, I rocked that section because of those tips.

Also, take it earlier so you have time to take it again if you want to. You must wait 90 days between each test so plan for taking it again, it you rock the first one bag the second.

Good luck.