Dat rc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodelarosa0303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellows I am really worried because I am getting over 20s in all the sections of the Dat except Reading. I am hispanic applicatant that has been on this country for only six years and I still strugle badly reading and comprenhending in such a small time per question and long passages with a lot of information . What should i do? My exam is in a month and I am getting really worried. What would dentals schools think of a low RC score in the range of 15-17. Thanks. Please comment and help me.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, English is my first language so this may not be 100% applicable to you.

What I did for RC was skip reading the passage at first and went right to the questions. The majority of questions reference specific details within the passage. If the question had a percentage in it, I would look for that specific number or fraction in the passage. Once I found it, I was usually able to answer the question.

Any questions regarding the tone of the passage I left until I was done with the other questions. After answering the detailed questions, you can usually answer the tone questions with some confidence.

Overall, just keep practicing. Use different methods to see which ones boost your score the most. While a low reading comprehension score won't necessarily kill you during applications, it would be less stress for you to get a 17 or above.

thank you very much I will try those techniques. Any more help people, please hellpppppppppp my DAT is ssssooooooonnnnnnnnn

Hello fellows I am really worried because I am getting over 20s in all the sections of the Dat except Reading. I am hispanic applicatant that has been on this country for only six years and I still strugle badly reading and comprenhending in such a small time per question and long passages with a lot of information . What should i do? My exam is in a month and I am getting really worried. What would dentals schools think of a low RC score in the range of 15-17. Thanks. Please comment and help me.

When I prepared for my RC section, I would read online articles everyday about the U.S. news, as well as scientific articles. This helped me become familiar with the scientific, technical words that will appear on the DAT. In addition, I also used CrackDAT Reading, which helped me get my timing down on the RC section. I read the passages first, taking about 10 mins, then answered the questions, which took about another 10 mins.

Dental schools vary on their importance of the RC section. Some schools could care less about what an applicant scores, while others have higher requirements for the RC section. The general accepted score for RC sits around a 16-17, and most dental schools would be accepting of that score provided that other scores (Bio, GC, OC, QR, PAT) are quite higher. I would recommend definitely reading a lot more than just practice RC exams. Definitely anything you can get your hands on (magazines, online articles, scientific journals). This will help you build your familiarity with the English language and become more comfortable in reading. Best of luck to you!