DAT Retake in 2 months! (18AA/TS to 20 AA/TS)

Started by LeslyS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LeslyS

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

DAT Retake in 2 months! (18AA/TS to 20 AA/TS)​

Hello hello everyone! This year has been chaotic to say the least; 2022 will be the year I associate with my crazy DAT journey. Hope this breakdown can provide some relief and helpful tips to anyone and everyone. You got this too! 🙂

First DAT: 18AA | 18 TS | 20 PAT | 16 BIO | 20 GC | 18 OC | 17 QR | 19 RC
After getting my results, I was devastated because I spent 7 months studying and ended up deciding to retake and wait till next cycle. The resource I used for attempt one was only DAT Bootcamp. Studying the first time, I was working full-time and did not follow any schedule. I basically would just do as-much as I could do, but found myself loosing focus and forgetting information because I would study from 7pm to maybe around 12am. I had only completed 6 Bootcamp full-lengths before test. During the test, I felt like I was overthinking all my answers because the Bootcamp questions/FL were way harder in my opinion.

Second DAT: 20 AA | 20 TS | 18 PAT | 19 BIO | 20 GC | 24 OC | 19 QR | 17 RC
WHAT I CHANGED: I decided to use DAT Booster as my main resource and DAT Destroyer only for math. Best decision tbh, I was a bit skeptical at first because its like the newer program. This time I decided I was going to follow a strict 8 week schedule and ask for 2 months time off from work. I knew I needed to prioritize my exam first and that the 8 week schedule would make sure I cover all the material and not study “blind”. I followed the 8 week schedule and incorporated 1 free day for the first month, but the second month I ended up studying every single day (because I decided to study instead of having a free day).
**I did give myself a break before I started my 2 months studying. I was very burnt out and need this time for self-care to socialize w my friends. **

DAT Booster content extremely prepared me! I felt comfortable during my exam and ran into no timing. I actually finished science w 6 mins, I decided not to go back because I didn’t want to change any answers. The full-lengths were very similar, especially the last 5, to real exam and the explanations were short and straight to the point. They added a lot more math, biology and orgo questions!! It is a great resource for the price and the team is always working around the clock to answer any questions you may have.

Biology (16—>19): I knew this section would require the most time! I read the Feralis notes twice, just like the schedule said, and did all the questions banks while covering the topics. While learning topics, I made my own study materials like flashcards Study & Functions (drawings/bullet points), take notes on the videos, and made my own Diversity of Life notes (Taxonomy: PCPNAMAEC R* and fill-in Phylum Plantae and Fungi chart). When I did the question banks, I also kept a notebook with marked/wrong questions and read through the explanations/jotted notes. Biology is repetition, repetition, repetition! I made it “fun” by buying clear sticky notes and colorful highlighters haha. If I didn’t understand something fully, I would lookup a crash course or YouTube video. I also made it a goal to review the DAT Booster Anki cards once during learning period, and when I did the cards, I would jot my thoughts or make acronyms.
Two weeks before my exam, I reviewed DAT CheatSheets everyday, reviewed Anki 3-4 hours daily on my weaker subjects (my own notes on the cards helped jumble my memory. While taking full I took notes on marked/wrong, watched any corresponding videos and reviewed notes.
Two days before my exam I reviewed the last 5 exams, all marked QB questions and my notebook.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND DAT BIOLOGY CRASH COURSE! I went to Part 1 Structure & Functions three days before my exam and it was super helpful! I saw similar questions on my real exam.

Gen Chem (20 —> 20): To be honest, because I did well the first time I didn’t spend much time to this section. I did follow the schedule, but I found myself going through the content pretty fast. I did make a study. I did not use Anki or flashcards for Gen Chem. What I did towards the end was make a summary sheet of each chapter with equations and kept a notebook of DAT Booster problems I had a hard-time understanding/got wrong. I quickly realized that the formatting of the question don’t really change for certain topics. What I did use as an extra resource was Chad’s videos! He provided a lot of examples for learning which was very helpful since I am a visual learner. The week before my exam, I redid all the gen chem question banks and then made a study guide from the types of questions I would get wrong. I would try to think of ways they might ask the question differently and/or write steps on how to solve the question faster w any shortcuts I found.

O Chem (18—>24): THIS WAS A PLEASANT SURPRISE! On my full lengths, the highest score I had received was a 20. I watched all the videos, did all the questions (kept a notebook), wrote my own notes for certain sections. I tried to used Anki, but I found myself learning better when I was applying it with questions and was able to understand the patterns. I did do all the question banks two times each, during learning period and the last week before my exam! Also, two weeks before my exam I would study the DAT Booster Orgo reaction sheets and color code the differences.

*PAT (20—>18): Welp, on my full-lengths I was averaging a 20, but I also didn’t study for this except for FL. I just didn’t feel like I had enough time, and I wanted to prioritize my TS scores. I will say, I got more floating cubes on my real exam than I expected.

QR (17—>19): I felt lost my first attempt, I didn’t feel prepared. The second time I made sure to take this section more seriously. I did all the DAT Booster QB and made flashcards by question type (Example: Coins) then how to solve. DAT Booster had great shortcuts and did a great job of exposing you the various ways questions can be asked.
For extra practice, I did DAT Destroyer 2022 math questions. I felt like the questions weren’t that hard after having completed all DAT Booster questions. It gave me a little confidence 🙂

*RC (19 —>17): Welp again, this score also dropped. I was surprised by this score. I felt vert prepared going in, I had done all the DAT Booster practice and full-lengths and had scores anywhere from 19-26. I think what went wrong during my exam was that I became use to the small print on my full-lengths, the exam was not similar, and the passage were extremely longer on the real one. I quickly became anxious during this section and sadily I think it got the best of me. 🙁

Overall: I am so happy that I showed improvement on my science scores and overall! Having the support of my work place, family and friends meant the world to me. I will be honest, it was not easy staying disciplined and dedicated to studying like a full-time job. But I always felt good knowing I was able to check things off my excel schedule. I cried many times, especially the last two weeks, and didn’t see any huge improvement until my last 3 full-lengths. I have always had a problem w exam time anxiety, but I feel like the DAT Booster program helped me overcome it! I felt like I knew what questions were likely to come up for the sciences.
If you are a retake, I highly suggest assessing what you can do differently! To everyone just know all your hard work and dedication will pay off! It is a temporary sacrifice for a life-long career of happiness, literally changing lives on smile at a time! Don’t ever give-up on your dreams! <3