DAT Science Section Format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zayna06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the science sections on the actual DAT indivually timed, or is it just like the practice exams in which you are given 90 minutes to complete Bio, Chem, and Orgo sections, so you are able to move back and forth between each section? I seem to go through bio extremely fast, but am slow when it comes to gen chem, so I am worried that if they only allow a set time for each individual science section, I won't finish chem.

Members don't see this ad.

The science section is one big test. 100 questions, 90 minutes. About one third is devoted to each subject and the order goes bio, gchem, ochem. If you're worried about timing, make sure to pick up some practice tests and time yourself when you do it.

crazy_sherm said:
The science section is one big test. 100 questions, 90 minutes. About one third is devoted to each subject and the order goes bio, gchem, ochem. If you're worried about timing, make sure to pick up some practice tests and time yourself when you do it.

Thanks for the reply. So what you are saying is that if I finish going through all three science sections with extra time, I can go back to bio and gen chem to check my answers over.

Zayna06 said:
Thanks for the reply. So what you are saying is that if I finish going through all three science sections with extra time, I can go back to bio and gen chem to check my answers over.

There are no sections -- everything is mixed up and amalgamated to form 1 giant section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zayna06 said:
Are the science sections on the actual DAT indivually timed, or is it just like the practice exams in which you are given 90 minutes to complete Bio, Chem, and Orgo sections, so you are able to move back and forth between each section? I seem to go through bio extremely fast, but am slow when it comes to gen chem, so I am worried that if they only allow a set time for each individual science section, I won't finish chem.

I recently took the exam in January 05. As folks are saying, it is just one large section with 100 questions. They aren't mixed up or anything like that. It is simply 40 bio, 30 gc, and 30 oc. I had a similar problem as you in that I would shoot through bio in no time, take up a chunk for gchem, but I would also shoot through ochem pretty quickly as well.

To answer your question, you can go back and review any question within the 100 question section. Also, I don't know what kind of practice tests you are taking, but some tend to have more calculations than the actual DAT which tends to add to your time. Another thing is that since it's computerized, you don't have to take time to manually fill in a bubble. Believe it or not, this will save you a couple of minutes over the course of 100 questions.

Zayna06 said:

OH the science is easy. Its not even timed. They will let you take half and then come back the next day and take the rest. Also you can look up answers and change the ones from the day before.

seriously, quit wasting peoples time and research the topic at the ada website.

www.ada.org

useless posting.....

dude, then dont respond if its wasting your time