DAT score and need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSbh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new in this forum, took DAT yesterday and totally disappointed with my score. I've been studying for 3 months and did better on practice test, dunno what happen..
Here the score
Bio 17
Org 20
GChem 21
Reading 15
QR 16
PA 18
TS 19
AA 18

GPA overall 3.52, Sgpa: 3.72
Do i need to retake it? does it gonna be to late while taking in november? and which school should i apply?
Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores aren't that bad but your RC killed you.

Did you do Topscore? What were those scores like? What did you feel like you hadn't prepared for on the real thing?

The best thing you can do right now is apply with those scores. You may have a chance, especially at your state school if you've got one. A retake may very well be in your future but I would roll with those scores for now. Your GPA is good.

I did TS last 3 days before I took the exam
TS AA 19/20/20 Bio 19/19/20 Chem 18/20/21 org 20/20/20 Pa 21/21/21 Qr 20/20/19 Rc 20/19/19 Ts 19/20/21

I was mad with my RC because I did not bad at all on practice test. But I got the piano passage that is very hard and a lot of tone questions.

For the rest of our benefit, anyone who has received a good score on RC with the piano passage. Could you share your methods? I'm retaking the test for the 3rd time, got Frapped (ethics passage) the first, micro array passage second time, i'm worried that I will get the croc or the Piano.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm studying for a retake right now. The first time I took it (a year ago) I got the piano passage and got a 21 in RC. The tone questions suck but what helped me is that I don't do search and destroy. I read the whole passage and then answer all the questions. It helps you with the tone questions...

To the OP, what happened on bio? Your practice scores are good and I know Topscore throws a lot of random Taxonomy questions at you. What was tough on the real bio section?

I studied a lot for Biology and did well on Practice test but on the real test, it is so random, and broad from every section : plant, taxanomy, ecology, lab..
I got 2 picture question and have no clue too.
@ alan: what does your last test score? did you get any interview last application?

I studied a lot for Biology and did well on Practice test but on the real test, it is so random, and broad from every section : plant, taxanomy, ecology, lab..
I got 2 picture question and have no clue too.
@ alan: what does your last test score? did you get any interview last application?

I got 17/17/20. I was a douche and just studied for 2 weeks. Royally bombed QR with a 13 and my 16 in Gen Chem didn't help either. I did get a 20 in bio and a 20 in PAT along with a 21 in RC. Still, I didn't get one interview. I wouldn't attribute that solely to my DAT score however. I won't be graduating until next Spring and so at the time of application I didn't have a bachelors in the works and had no upper level science classes.

Scoring a 20 last time in bio makes me even more nervous about improving on it. Any insight as to ways you would study differently or things you would study more would be great...

As far as what schools to apply to, check out the ADEA guide and find schools with matching stats. Off the top of my head I'd check out NYU, Tufts, Louisville, Midwestern, etc.

DDSbh: no joke, retake
I have to agree with Emmie on this one (And god knows, I rarely do:laugh:). But your 17Bio and 15RC along with your average AA/PA of 18 will somewhat diminish your chances.