DAT score and Suggestion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mujin786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT last month:
PA: 17
QR: 15
RC: 19
BIO: 21
GC: 20
OC: 20
TS: 21
AA: 19

GPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.35

A bit of info. I was applied to med school last year and mid cycle and decided that was not the path for me after talking and shadowing with med students and physicians. So I decided to shadow and look into dentistry, which I absolutely feel in love with. It also helped that my friend was a phenomenal dentist; and the other dentist I shadowed also further solidified my growing passion towards this field.

However, I'm stuck at the moment as to whether to retake the DAT or not as I cannot apply this cycle because I'm missing a science LOR. My professor hasn't gotten back to me it's been almost 2 months. So, I will be taking A&P this fall and most likely get at LOR from that professor.

My question is, would you retake the DAT if you were in my position?

Thanks for y'alls feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I probably would have to take it again if I were you. Your scores all good except QR. What happened there. Some schools have cutoffs.

Yeah, I probably would have to take it again if I were you. Your scores all good except QR. What happened there. Some schools have cutoffs.
I didn't study for it. I became cocky and just thought I would do well since I did well on my math classes. I was wrong. Is QR really that weighted to make a difference in the whole process?

I'll definitely look into taking it again to improve my QR.

dont retake. some schools dont have cutoffs for QR and dont put much emphasis on it. apply to those and you stand a good chance of getting interviews. your scores are competitive, and doesnt merit a retake imo.

This is a tough question. Hindsight is 20/20 but if you pull an 18+ on the QR you nearly have an ideal app for many dental schools. Nobody can make the decision for you, but if you retake and get a 22+ with no section below 20 then I think you're a strong applicant who shows improvement. Good luck!