DAT score help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

N021205

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I just took my DAT this past week. I wanted to get your opinion on what I should do next. My biggest worry in my PAT section which I got a 15 in. Should I retake it just to improve this section by a few points?

PAT: 15
QR: 17
RC 18
BIO:22
GC: 21
OC:21

TOTAL SCI: 21
AA: 20

I scored low on the pat section because for one, I ran out of time. I have a 5 year old son and I'm taking a fulltime (BIOCHEMISTRY underg.).

I really don't want to retake the DAT in the summer since that mean's I can't apply early, additionally I have to find someone to watch my son during that time. What do you guys suggest? I would really like to stay instate. I have a 3.5 GPA, and president of a few organizations including my campus's PD-society.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I would call the schools you are interested in and see what they have to say.

Wait! You can find a babysitter when it's time for your ECs, but it is a pain, should you need one to retake the DAT?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If it is only your first time taking it, I would recommend retaking it and trying to bring your PAT score up. The good news about the PAT is that it is a section that can be improved with practice (I took mine from a 15 to a 21), but it takes a lot of practice and a lot of repetition.

It wouldn't be a pain, but my wife is graduating this fall and she's taking a full load of class including in the summer. She's helped me do what i've done for the past 2 years. So it's my turn to return the favor to her. During the summer there's no school so I would be watching my son full time vs during the semester when I get a few hours to do what I need to. I was wondering if I should just hold off on applying this round until I can improve my scores or should I just go ahead and apply to see what happens.

I would call some of the school you're looking to apply to and ask them if the 15 is something they'll overlook. Some schools do make a few small exceptions if something is brought to their attention and your AA/TS's are great. However, I know that most schools have a 'cutoff' score where certain sections have to be above a 17 for example. It's a tough one here and dependent on the school... like I said I would call a few up to see what they have to say about it and go from there. I would say apply this cycle and then worst case you just have to take the DAT again and send in your scores ASAP.

Hey guys so I just took my DAT this past week. I wanted to get your opinion on what I should do next. My biggest worry in my PAT section which I got a 15 in. Should I retake it just to improve this section by a few points?

PAT: 15
QR: 17
RC 18
BIO:22
GC: 21
OC:21

TOTAL SCI: 21
AA: 20

I scored low on the pat section because for one, I ran out of time. I have a 5 year old son and I'm taking a fulltime (BIOCHEMISTRY underg.).

I really don't want to retake the DAT in the summer since that mean's I can't apply early, additionally I have to find someone to watch my son during that time. What do you guys suggest? I would really like to stay instate. I have a 3.5 GPA, and president of a few organizations including my campus's PD-society.

Kind of in a difficult spot because your AA/TS is competitive but the PAT is a 15. The first question I guess that comes into mind is, is this your first time taking the DAT? I ask this because ADCOMS can probably feel that you have room for improvement the second time, they can probably expect for you to retake it. But as Teeths mentioned, I would call the schools directly and ask them because they would have a better idea of the situation.

On a brighter note, AA/TS is one of the most important scores and those are good but at the same time, if you want to be at ease when you apply, I would retake and try to practice a bit more to get atleast an 18+. There's still the possible chance you will get in even with the PAT 15 as it isn't one of the heaviest factors in the DAT. Hear out from other users and see what they have to say too. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reassurance guys. You are very helpful. Would anyone know of a list of schools that would overlook the PAT section. I will go ahead and apply this round while re-studying for the DAT to boost up my scores just incase.

Do you guys know if they will put a hold on my application if I plan to retake the DAT during the application season, or will I proceed without notifying them? Thanks!

Thanks for the reassurance guys. You are very helpful. Would anyone know of a list of schools that would overlook the PAT section. I will go ahead and apply this round while re-studying for the DAT to boost up my scores just incase.

Do you guys know if they will put a hold on my application if I plan to retake the DAT during the application season, or will I proceed without notifying them? Thanks!

I'm sure I'm not going to win any popularity votes with what I'm about to say, but this is what I've seen:

A PAT score of 15 sounds "mediocre," and that's putting it nicely. Paired with a QR of 17 and a RC of 18, I think you have no choice but to retake. I know QR and RC rank probably the lowest in terms of relevance, but the point is that you have THREE sub-20 scores, and your other scores are low 20's. If you had a couple mid- to high-20 scores, things might be different, but even then a score of 15 would give pause.

I'll also tell you that I don't think ANY school will come out and tell you, "Sure, a 15 PAT is no big deal." Obviously, they're going to be deliberately vague with their answer because it absolves them of any potential cases of "Well, you said it would be ok with my other..." blah blah blah blah.

I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but I think the fact that your scores gave you pause enough to have to question whether or not you should retake gives you your answer. And let's also not forget: Assuming you get an interview, chances are better than decent that you may be asked about your low score. Why did you get it? What happened? If your reasoning is that you didn't have time to prep again because you had to watch your kid, I would be willing to bet that any and every ADCOM would deny you admission. If you can't commit to prepping for a retake, what's going to happen when you're coming upon exam periods and you have a 5-in-5 schedule? Or when you have to prep for your boards? You will not get lenience on account of your family. NO admissions committee will give you a pass "because you have a kid." (Let me interject at this point and tell you that I have THREE) Your mentality should be that you have to show the ADCOM's that you can not only perform, but EXCEL in your academics in spite of your family.

My logic behind saying "in spite of" (because I know it sounds harsh): In your interviews, you will always hear "Oh you have a family. That's good. Family keeps you grounded. It gives you perspective and motivation." But the real truth is that if you have a wife/child/whatever and there is a "question mark" anywhere on your app, the assumption will be that your wife/child/whatever must be a hindrance, because if you can't handle undergrad courses with that "distraction," then how on earth are you going to handle a rigorous course of professional study?

If you have a wife and child and you are serious about pursuing a career in dentistry, then they need to support you 110% AND YOU NEED TO SHOW IT. If I were you, I would retake and I would make it a point to bring EVERYTHING up to 20+ and KILL your PAT. Then your strong improvement in scores would be a real plus and you could show any ADCOM that your first DAT was just a fluke.

Also, as far as your questions about your app: Since you have scores already, your application would be considered "complete" provided that you also have everything else (letters of rec, etc.). So assuming that you applied as early as possible in the cycle, your app should be processed among the first sets of batches. This would certainly work in your favor as you would be competing against the fewest number of other applicants, though as I said before I don't know how much it would help.

If I was in your shoes, I would get all of your vitals together and apply as soon as the 2014 cycle opens, and start prepping to retake NOW. 2014 cycle opens June 3. I would make sure you have all of your doc's submitted and your app complete by that Friday, June 7. Retake no later than July 1. And make sure you kill it.

Honestly I believe ur scores are good enough...pat is such a terrible section and has nothing to do with gauging a persons future success in dentistry. Ur aa and science scores are great and RC is fine at 18. These are the important sections and you did very well on them. Qr and even pat are not weighted at all by many schools. U do however have plenty of time but if I were you I would make sure to apply early and I'm sure you are going to get a few bites.

Thanks for the positive response csafizadeh! I felt so bad about the other few responses that I couldn't sleep the whole other night. I had to wake up and make a list of positives vs negatives on my application. I weighted 25 positives vs 2 negatives. One being the fact that I have a 15 on my PAT score. I have worked so hard my whole undergraduate career. I doubt I will be thrown out on a 15 PAT. Thanks!

As someone mentioned earlier, call the schools you plan to apply to and ask them if a 15 on PAT would kill you. IMO, you're fine; considering most schools couldn't care less about PAT.

Honestly I believe ur scores are good enough...pat is such a terrible section and has nothing to do with gauging a persons future success in dentistry. Ur aa and science scores are great and RC is fine at 18. These are the important sections and you did very well on them. Qr and even pat are not weighted at all by many schools. U do however have plenty of time but if I were you I would make sure to apply early and I'm sure you are going to get a few bites.

As someone mentioned earlier, call the schools you plan to apply to and ask them if a 15 on PAT would kill you. IMO, you're fine; considering most schools couldn't care less about PAT.

I would be surprised if ANY school actually told you outright that it doesn't matter. They'd more likely be incredibly vague with their response.

Bottom line: As an applicant, if you are really serious, then you need to look at those "negatives" you pointed out and see if you can improve on them. If you can, do it. Any "negative" should be seen as a potential reason to pass you over. Sure, you MAY get in somewhere, and the possibility may even be relatively strong. But what are you going to do if you DON'T get in anywhere this cycle? What will be the first explanation that comes to mind as to why you didn't get in? If you're that concerned about your PAT, then prep, retake, and improve. Why would you go into this cycle with the worry of a poor PAT score and potentially waste multiple THOUSANDS of dollars (app fees and travel expenses) when you could just retake and improve and gain confidence?

Are you that worried about doing worse the 2nd go-round?

No I don't feel I would do worst. In fact, I feel like I could blow it out of the water considering I studied during a full close load of chemistry courses and working. Actually, I feel like the DAT is a loop you just have to jump. I feel pretty strongly that all my hard work for the past 4 years will not be wasted. I have yet to encounter an obstacle that I was not able to overcome. Dental school is no different. I will take my chances this round on the fact that I actually feel pretty confident considering my 15 PAT. By any chance I don't get in this round, which is totally a possibility, at least I will have time to be with my family. Life will never stop and work will never stop. So I will take things one step at a time and just soak in the fact that I will eventually get into dental school. Even if I have to wait another year. ;)

For future students, I got accepted :).

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed at Baylor, nova, and Meharry. I've been accepted to nova currently. I'm still waiting to hear back from baylors second round of acceptances.

I wish I could have replied to this thread sooner to tommyva.

I had 19aa/ts with 18 bio, 17 rc, 18qr, 18 pat (4 sections below 20) and still got 6 predec ivs and one post. I got 3 acceptances dec 2nd and 2 wl.

Also not ONE single school asked about my DAT scores during my interview

I think a lot of sdners put too much weight on DAT scores

Interviewed at Baylor, nova, and Meharry. I've been accepted to nova currently. I'm still waiting to hear back from baylors second round of acceptances.

Oh nice ! You are a Texas resident ?

Congrats! Well done on believing in yourself even when others don't! It shows that it is not only about a particular score.