DAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a 22 on reading comp., and a science average of 18, but my perceptual score is 13. Does that perceptual score completely screw up my chances, or would I still be competitive if i had a half-decent gpa. I don't really care about going to the top schools, just wanna get in anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 15 on the PAT and that was extremely borderline. I would retake it and try to improve your score.

I had a 14 and got into one school already and a couple more interviews. I think each school has a certain cutoff for the sections on the DAT. My advice to you would be to call them or look online at what each cut off is. I found it to be 14/15 for most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go figure... I had Nova ask me about my "low" PAT score...hmm. I guess it all depends on the school. Good luck to you!

I had 17 on the PAT... got into schools, it all depends, low PAT can be compensated with high scores in other sections on the DAT (just like the OP did).... but 13! is a BIG red flag. I met people who got in with 14, but never 13... the percentile for that score will probably be in the bottom 10% (in my opinion).

I know how annoying it can be to re-take the DAT... but if you want to have a comfortable ride with the process... consider re-taking the DAT.

- Mo

Mo007 said:
I had 17 on the PAT... got into schools, it all depends, low PAT can be compensated with high scores in other sections on the DAT (just like the OP did).... but 13! is a BIG red flag. I met people who got in with 14, but never 13... the percentile for that score will probably be in the bottom 10% (in my opinion).

I know how annoying it can be to re-take the DAT... but if you want to have a comfortable ride with the process... consider re-taking the DAT.

- Mo
retake it

retake it, no doubt. even with awesome gpa i think that low of a score on a dat section will cause you problems. plus like someone else said many schools have specific score cutoffs (usually a 14 or 15) where they won't even look at you if you do not meet them.
a pat score this low makes me think that you did not practice enough since that is really what the pat is all about. trust me on those top - side - front ones it took me seriously like a month before i could even get half of them right, so i know sometimes you just have a block and just can't do it. but you should be able to get at least a 16 if you put in enough practice and just keep looking at those darn problems until you at least somewhat figure it out. good luck i know the pat is tough.

Your scores (all of them) are too low and won't stand out to adcoms. Retake it if possible.

With those scores it would take more than a "half-decent" GPA to maximize your chances.

It isn't impossible to get, but it would be more difficult than it ought to be.

I used the Barrons book to practice for the PAT section, which many on this site have suggested to be just about the best resource. It isn't much for the other sections, but it offers some pretty good tips even if you are not perceptually inclined. It helped me get a pretty good score in that section.

ItsGavinC said:
Your scores (all of them) are too low and won't stand out to adcoms. Retake it if possible.

With those scores it would take more than a "half-decent" GPA to maximize your chances.

It isn't impossible to get, but it would be more difficult than it ought to be.

So, an 18 average on the science, and 22 on reading comp isn't good enough? What kinda scores would I have to get in those areas to be competitive?

Look, retake the dang thing. You have absolutely no chance with a 13 on the PAT. Ther is no question about it. Especially this year, you are up against some serious comp. I got a 17 on the PAT and that is as low as you want to go if you want to get in. A 22 on RC is great, but with a 13 on PAT you better get a 23 AA, 23TS and have a 3.9. The PAT has the quickest learning curve at of all of the sections. Spend the time, that is all that they want to see. If anybody spends the time they can get a decent PAT.

bravotwozero said:
So, an 18 average on the science, and 22 on reading comp isn't good enough? What kinda scores would I have to get in those areas to be competitive?

26 and 28. Seriously. Scary as it is to say, 18 TS is becoming somewhat average...

But the good news is, as was said before, you can just retake it - and you've got at least 2 or 3 months to study.

:luck: !

Yeah, I would also tell you to retake it. I got a 16 on my PAT (18 AA, 19TS), and I even contemplated retaking it, but decided not after contacting a bunch of schools and finding out that they won't place that much emphasis on the PAT section. Still, when I went to my NYU interview, as my interviewer was flipping through my file, I noticed a little slip of paper in there, with a bunch of comments about my application (maybe notes that were taken while my app was being reviewed), and one of the comments said "low PAT". NYU is one of the least competative schools, and a 16 was "low" by their standards. I still got accepted there, and 4 other schools, but that made me a little paranoid that if maybe there was some other significant weakness in my app, that 16 PAT could have worked against me. You seem like you have a lot going for you...I don't think your other scores are low...your RC is really good, and they love high RC. Also, if your bio score is decent, you're prob in good shape.

By the way, I don't know about everyone else, but I thought the PAT on the real thing was signifcantly harder than most practice tests. The only practice tests I thought were challenging enough were the ones on Acethedat.com...these will really prep you for the real thing, b/c they are just as hard. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
13 is low. If you are applying for next cycle to start in 2006...def take it again you have plenty of time. I have heard of people getting in with low Pat scores...depending on the school that you are applying to. Good Luck :luck:

DIRTIE said:
Look, retake the dang thing. You have absolutely no chance with a 13 on the PAT. Ther is no question about it. Especially this year, you are up against some serious comp. I got a 17 on the PAT and that is as low as you want to go if you want to get in. A 22 on RC is great, but with a 13 on PAT you better get a 23 AA, 23TS and have a 3.9. The PAT has the quickest learning curve at of all of the sections. Spend the time, that is all that they want to see. If anybody spends the time they can get a decent PAT.

I second you dirtie!! I think you should consider taking the DAT again. Your DAT scores look great, but the PAT is one of those sections critical for the ADCOM officers. If you want to screw up in one section, try Math! It is not as critical ;)

gabrielmeraz said:
I second you dirtie!! I think you should consider taking the DAT again. Your DAT scores look great, but the PAT is one of those sections critical for the ADCOM officers.

I don't know--it really seems to vary from school to school.

It depends on the school. Some schools have a minimum score requirement to be accepted. I made a 15 on my PAT and had an AA of 20 and I was accepted to UF (15 minimum requirement). So, some schools weigh that portion more than others but with a 13 you probably will need to retake it due to the minimum requirements of most schools.

bravotwozero said:

I think you need to retake it for sure.

I got a 15 on my pat but I had a 21AA and 21TS... which saved me! otherwise I would definitely have to re-do the DATs.

I am not sure how much it hurt me, I applied late as well. Out of my interviews, only Maryland asked me directly why I did so low, at which point I said I would be willing to re-do the DATs, My interviewee said that I didnt have to, ... and I got into that school, Im still waiting to hear back from other school and Ive declined a couple interviews

However UOP has been the only school so far that directly denied me an interview... I guess it matters to them, it said on their website, nothing below a 16.

You might get away with a 13 PAT but you should re-take it just in case, you might have to settle for a school you dont like. Also, dental school applications are getting more competitive, so this years stats might not mean anything if next year's applicant pool is stronger.

I would agree with most everyone. Although your reading score was very good, your PAT score is TOO low. I had your same AA, but my PAT score was a bit higher and I was still sweating bullets. Fortunately I got in to several schools, but I highly doubt I would have gotten in with that low of PAT score. Try to get at LEAST a 15, not any lower in the PAT, preferrably higher. Good luck!

Yalc1 said:
It depends on the school. Some schools have a minimum score requirement to be accepted. I made a 15 on my PAT and had an AA of 20 and I was accepted to UF (15 minimum requirement). So, some schools weigh that portion more than others but with a 13 you probably will need to retake it due to the minimum requirements of most schools.

Does anyone know what the highest minimum is out there? I've heard U of P is set at 16, but has anyone heard of anything higher than that?

I had a 15 PAT and I was borderline. I was accepted at NSU and USC and declined and interview at Tufts.

Mark

like others have said, definetly retake the DAT.

Just to convince you further if you are still unconvinced...

please consider retaking the test.

As someone else have mentioned, PAT has the highest learning curve. You will improve real fast.

Now my question to you is... honestly, how come you did poorly on PAT and rocked everyhting else? Honestly, I'm curious.

sounds like you did fine on everything else - just keep doing what you did for studying those sections and really pump up your PAT studying - work at it a little bit everyday - you'll get it up :thumbup: