DAT scores and dental specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewtonStar

Reaction score
Pre-dental here. I just completed the DAT recently and did scored pretty well. Does having a high DAT score help get into a better residency program after dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all. I had a lower DAT compared to many friends at my school and am doing better than most. DAT has zero correlation to dental school success. The effort you put into school will dictate class rank and grades.

Reactions: 5 users
lol the DAT has almost zero predictive value of how well you will do in dental school. so in other words, a definite no

What does the literature say?

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
One thing that I do think correlates with success in pre-clinic is the PAT. I know some people who didn't do so well on the PAT and are struggling in lab, while I also know other who did extremely well in the PAT section and are incredible in pre-clinic. Again, it doesn't dictate your success, but I've seen a small correlation between those 2.

Reactions: 1 user
Big Hoss's link affirms what I had already heard anecdotally:

the READING COMPREHENSION Section is the most correlated to success in school (not correlated to anything clinical). The ability to process and comprehend large amounts of info is key.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Some residencies do require you to report your DAT scores. Who knows if this will change by the time you’d apply.

The DAT is nothing but added cash flow for the ADA - zero predictive value. It'd be similar to a dental school wanting your ACT/SAT scores - irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 users