Dat Start Study 06/01/08 Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFS08

Tooth Extractornator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All those planning on starting to study for the DAT on June 1st or interested in starting on that date please post here. Let us work together to encourage each other. Just knowing you have that group of people with you along the way makes a huge difference. Please do not forget to *subscribe to this thread so you can see every post made!!! READY!!! SET!!!.......LET'S DESTROY THE DAT!!! :mad: (BEGINNING JUNE 1st 2008)

*To subscribe to the thread simply click on "Thread Tools" above and click "Subscribe to this Thread"

Members don't see this ad.

That'll be the day i STOP studying for the DAT's. let's hope it won't resume after I take the exam on the 2nd haha =P

Lol, I was kinda hoping you were a member of my club lol. Good luck! How is the studying coming? Are you done and just doing practice questions?

yea pretty much. got 4 practice exams which i plan on taking for the next 4 days. not much else i can do at this point. hopefully all the studying will have paid off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in im takin the DAT june 30th. I really like the idea of makin a group. studying for the dat is like the worst thing ever..........especially in the summer time.

I am totally in!! This idea is too cute, do you know that? I'm taking all my books for the day and studying at my school's college of medicine library. I did that for a few days earlier this summer and I swear I looked more stressed out than the med students studying for boards! How is that possible? :laugh: Anyway, when is everyone taking their DAT??

I am totally in!! This idea is too cute, do you know that? I'm taking all my books for the day and studying at my school's college of medicine library. I did that for a few days earlier this summer and I swear I looked more stressed out than the med students studying for boards! How is that possible? :laugh: Anyway, when is everyone taking their DAT??

You got the right idea, but no, this idea isn't "cute" ;).

I'm new to this, I hope I can contribute something to this, what do I have to do?:( I took the dat's last Sat and did horrible, I was caught totally off guard. I really thought I was prepared I got Destroyer, topscore, Kaplan Blue book, and nil.

You got the right idea, but no, this idea isn't "cute" ;).

haha sorry that was the girl in me coming out! ;) Allow me to rephrase... What I meant to say is that I think it is really great that people are so extra supportive. It means a lot.

I can imagine that lol. My bro is in Med school studying for boards now and all I can say is WOW! He studies 23 hrs literally. But I plan on taking DAT in second week August. How about you? But A study club will help to keep us all motivated and it makes you feel like you are all working together plus we can ask questions!!!

I'm new to this, I hope I can contribute something to this, what do I have to do?:( I took the dat's last Sat and did horrible, I was caught totally off guard. I really thought I was prepared I got Destroyer, topscore, Kaplan Blue book, and nil.

Welcome to the study club. All we do is all begin to study rigorously for the DAT on June 1st 2008 and post your progress here as far as what page you are on in Kaplan Blue book or what topic etc or even post useful questions!! I guarantee if we utilize this properly we will all be WAY! more informed than if we were individually working. When are you planning to take the DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
When is everybody planning to take the DAT?!! June, July, August?....:rolleyes:

Mine is June 27th...perhaps I will push it back into early July, but we will see. I already e-submitted my application and am not working or taking classes this summer so I can devote the next full month to studying.

I re-take my DAT July 7th. Destroyer is also destroying me but I think just doing the questions over and over and over again will help.

i'm in :)
just finished by bs in biology, time to start dat review for the first time.

i'm in :)
just finished by bs in biology, time to start dat review for the first time.

I am so motivated just by reading everyone's posts and its good to know people share similar experiences.

So......I plan on taking my Diagnostic test May 31st then begin studying June 1st. Who else is taking a diagnostic test before studying???

So......I plan on taking my Diagnostic test May 31st then begin studying June 1st. Who else is taking a diagnostic test before studying???

I took one from Kaplan that came with my online materials. I purchased Topscore and still need Achiever because I plan on taking a practice exam every week until my DAT. The diagnostic basically made me realize I need to study EVERYTHING! haha

I took one from Kaplan that came with my online materials. I purchased Topscore and still need Achiever because I plan on taking a practice exam every week until my DAT. The diagnostic basically made me realize I need to study EVERYTHING! haha

Hahaha, wow an exam per week. Thats a good Idea. I only have top score I don't plan on buying acheiver. Is it really that serious to buy it?? Is Top Score enough?

Im in! Just had my first Kaplan class and took the diagnostic... ouch, haha. Only thing I did well in was RC. Looks like chem is going to be my biggest battle. Im planning on taking the test early July, until then 7-8 hours a day. :scared:

But just think how good its going to feel when its all done!

Im in! Just had my first Kaplan class and took the diagnostic... ouch, haha. Only thing I did well in was RC. Looks like chem is going to be my biggest battle. Im planning on taking the test early July, until then 7-8 hours a day. :scared:

But just think how good its going to feel when its all done!

People who dont like match typically dont like gchem from my observation. I am one of them so I know lol. But good luck with the classes. Share your knowledge with us. No class for me just doing it solo!!! I will post my score for my diagnostic on Saturday May 31st lol

"Keep your heads up peeps, work hard, give it your all, and the DAT shall be yours for the taking."

DentalDude8

Count me in too.. I was supposed to study last week but I am waiting on some study aids to come in the mail.:mad: So hopefully by next week I will be studying hard core.

Count me in too.. I was supposed to study last week but I am waiting on some study aids to come in the mail.:mad: So hopefully by next week I will be studying hard core.

Welcome Dr. Prettysmile. Thanks for the words of encouragement Dentaldude!!

I'll join the club. I'm taking the Kaplan course thru June 30th and taking the DAT on July 22nd. I'm working Wed-Fri so I'll have Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tues to study. I also just purchased TopScore, so that will take a while to get here. I was planning on taking those 3 practice tests the 3 Saturdays before I take the DAT.

I'm really struggling to find motivation to study, especially since its summer. Its so easy to just play video games for 3 hours and zone out instead of focusing.

I plan on taking the DAT June 27th. I'm taking my first full length practice test Friday and trying to take one once a week with Kaplan book as my main study source.

I plan on taking the DAT June 27th. I'm taking my first full length practice test Friday and trying to take one once a week with Kaplan book as my main study source.

That's the day of my DAT, too! We can be buddies...haha :D

People who dont like match typically dont like gchem from my observation. I am one of them so I know lol. But good luck with the classes. Share your knowledge with us. No class for me just doing it solo!!! I will post my score for my diagnostic on Saturday May 31st lol

Well if you are going to do yours, I guess ill post mine. Bear in mind I havent thought about chemistry in 2 years haha. This is before any studying so hopefully itll only go up.

Bio 16
GC 12:scared:
OC 12:scared:
PA 16 ( Got most of the ones i did correct but for some reason i thought it was only 20 questions, so im sitting there chilling waiting for the section to be over and didnt even anwser the last 10:rolleyes:)
RC 21
QR 13 :scared:

Aiming for straight 20's and am planning on taking the test july 3.

To anyone who has taken the class, how did your real scores compare with the tests kaplan gives?

Right now my strategy is to get through each section one at a time so i can start doing entire practice sections. Then about two weeks before the test, take a full timed test a day.

u guys think if i ordered dat destroyer, it'll come in by jun 10-15ish?
i'm debating if i should spend the 150 bucks or just use kaplans.

Please count me in as well! I am very interested and all fired up to begin my study for the DAT and hope very much to take it some time between the end of JULY middle of AUGUST!! Also if anyone lives in NYC and wants to make a study group here, please also let me know. I am in Brooklyn. Please email to me at this address: [email protected] Thank you all and lets begin studying together!!!

Good luck and Best wishes to all!!!

Welcome to all the new joinees!! I am taking my first practice without study on May 31st so that is satirday. I will post my grades up when I complete. Please everybody that takes their diagnostic please post your grades for all to see. Thank you

My Kaplan Diagnostic a few weeks ago:

Bio: 17
GChem: 16
OChem: 16
PAT: 18
RC: 20
QR: 14 (ouchhh!) This section scares me hah

I had an interesting idea. For all those that have taken DAT classes or studied and made notes on different subjects for the DAT, can you please share it with others so that we can all help each other out please. Here is what we do. Post here with what subject you have notes for and ask for a PM then when a user PM's you, arrangements can be made to email the notes. ONLY if your notes are in digital format however. THANKS TO ALL!

Im guessing you don't like math lol!

haha! Actually it's because I haven't had a darn math class in 4 years (I got AP Calc credit in high school) Also I really don't like this type of math that is like "If Joe bob paints a fence at 5 meters/hour, how long will it take his dog?"

haha! Actually it's because I haven't had a darn math class in 4 years (I got AP Calc credit in high school) Also I really don't like this type of math that is like "If Joe bob paints a fence at 5 meters/hour, how long will it take his dog?"

I know the thing lol. I had the same experience when I looked at those questions lol. I have not done math since 3 years now so its gonna be tough but I think I can pull off a 20.

Learned something in class the other day that seems to really help once you get the hang of it and can do it without really thinking to much. On the PAT front/end/top problems, if you count the "events" or lines that you see on a certain side, say for instance the x-axis of the top view, this should correspond to the number you view on the top of the front view. (let me know if this is unclear and ill try to clarify) It basically helps you rule out choices without having to sit there and try and picture the shape. Of course you need to be a bit critical with this and make sure you would see those lines from the side. Ive found that a mix of picturing it 3-D and this really helps.

Also they mentioned practice using your non writing hand to do the clicking so you just write with your dominant hand (saves a bit of time constantly switching from mouse to marker)

Learned something in class the other day that seems to really help once you get the hang of it and can do it without really thinking to much. On the PAT front/end/top problems, if you count the "events" or lines that you see on a certain side, say for instance the x-axis of the top view, this should correspond to the number you view on the top of the front view. (let me know if this is unclear and ill try to clarify) It basically helps you rule out choices without having to sit there and try and picture the shape. Of course you need to be a bit critical with this and make sure you would see those lines from the side. Ive found that a mix of picturing it 3-D and this really helps.

Also they mentioned practice using your non writing hand to do the clicking so you just write with your dominant hand (saves a bit of time constantly switching from mouse to marker)

Good Idea. It works I know because I took technical drawing in High school and we did the same exact thing. Did anybody else take technical drawing or heard about it?

Well if you are going to do yours, I guess ill post mine. Bear in mind I havent thought about chemistry in 2 years haha. This is before any studying so hopefully itll only go up.

Bio 16
GC 12
OC 12
PA 16 ( Got most of the ones i did correct but for some reason i thought it was only 20 questions, so im sitting there chilling waiting for the section to be over and didnt even anwser the last 10:rolleyes:)
RC 21
QR 13

Aiming for straight 20's and am planning on taking the test july 3.

To anyone who has taken the class, how did your real scores compare with the tests kaplan gives?

Right now my strategy is to get through each section one at a time so i can start doing entire practice sections. Then about two weeks before the test, take a full timed test a day.

Took my Diagnostic this afternoon Saturday June 31st here are my scores:

Scaled Scores:
Academic Average 13.13
spacer.gif

> Survey Of Natural Sciences 13.40
spacer.gif

- Biology 14 :confused:
spacer.gif

- General Chemistry 14
spacer.gif

- Organic Chemistry 12
spacer.gif

> Reading Comprehension 16:confused:
spacer.gif

> Quantitative Reasoning 10
Perceptual Ability Test 18:)

Conditions of test:

Took it 12noon when it was really hot.

I was in the study library and it was a bit noisy.

I was extremely hungry.

My opinion:

I think I did fine on the Perceptual ability so I pretty much like that. I am upset about the Biology because I am like Biology king but then again I have not read a book since May 2007 when I graduated. Post your scores people lets compare lol. Atleast now I know what I need to focus on!! (EVERYTHING!!)

This is valuable forum i am talkin mine end of summer so this will really be useful

Took my Diagnostic this afternoon Saturday June 31st here are my scores:

Scaled Scores:
Academic Average 13.13
spacer.gif

> Survey Of Natural Sciences 13.40
spacer.gif

- Biology 14 :confused:
spacer.gif

- General Chemistry 14
spacer.gif

- Organic Chemistry 12
spacer.gif

> Reading Comprehension 16:confused:
spacer.gif

> Quantitative Reasoning 10
Perceptual Ability Test 18:)

Conditions of test:

Took it 12noon when it was really hot.

I was in the study library and it was a bit noisy.

I was extremely hungry.

My opinion:

I think I did fine on the Perceptual ability so I pretty much like that. I am upset about the Biology because I am like Biology king but then again I have not read a book since May 2007 when I graduated. Post your scores people lets compare lol. Atleast now I know what I need to focus on!! (EVERYTHING!!)

Seems we are in the same boat. I dont think we should be too worried just yet. After all, its hard to do when you havent used the information in years. But the basic understanding of the material is there, for instance you recognize the concept of electronegativity or how many bonds you can have etc. Its just a matter of refreshing yourself and i really believe the info will come back faster than you imagine.

Except gen chem... freaking devil for me, im not sure if im still intimidated by the material or the reminder of my gen chem prof...*shudders*