DAT stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UDdenttobe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my DAT is in a little over two weeks. I have been using Kaplan, chads videos, and DAT destroyer (alot for bio). My last Kaplan practice test was (AA/BIO/GC/OC/TS/RC/QR/PAT) (18/18/17/20/18/18/16/24). unfortunately during my break i recieved some bad personal news which i believe might have taking away my focus from RC and QR. My gpa is a 3.93 and sciecne gpa 3.92, and i have busted my butt the past 3 years for those numbers. I am terrified that this test may not go well and ruin everything i have been working towards. I just was curious if anyone had been in a situation like this and got through it all. Studying for this is just really getting me down, and i keep pushing forward because i want nothing more than to gain accpetance. I just could really use some motivation or words of advice if anyone is willing to offer them.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the DAT but I know that the practice problems are MUCH harder than the real test will be. Almost every successful breakdown I've read has had close to the same pre-test scores... but they haven't had a 24 PAT (holy crap!). Just learn from the questions you got wrong, realize everything will turn out perfect, take a breath, and rock the DAT!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Even if you get an 18 AA, with that GPA you're still going to be fine for most schools. With your practice scores I doubt you'll get an 18. Don't worry too much.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been there. I took my DAT during the last semester (April 2016), and it was probably the worst semester of my career in terms of my personal life (family situations right after another). About two weeks out from my DAT, I thought about rescheduling it daily and probably cried 6 out of 7 days of the week. My biggest word of advice is that self-confidence is the best way to improve your score. I walked into my exam telling myself that I knew I wanted to go to dental school, and I wasn't going to let this exam stop me from reaching my dream.

If you are worried about checking into the exam at Prometric, I strongly recommend doing the test-drive. They check you in like you are actually taking your exam and they let you play around on the computers you will use. It's only like 30 dollars and it made me feel so much more comfortable on the day of my actual exam.

Two weeks out from my exam, I went into "rapid review mode", where I didn't spend time focusing on new material. I only watched quick review videos on general concepts and then drilled practice exams.

CrashCourse was such a refreshing way to brush up on concepts (and didn't put me to sleep like Khan academy). https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse

Just tell yourself that there's a reason you made it this far -- you got this!

Reactions: 1 user
I have to say I never did well when I took one of Kaplan's practice test. They were definitely harder than the actual test