DAT study tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingo1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi eveyone,

So I am taking the DAT next year in july (2019) but i want to review this summer how much i remember for bio and chemistry. I was thinking to buy the DAT destroyer from a lady in offerup thats selling it for 200 and it comes with 4 books i thinks its the more expensive bundle ($400 originally). Do you guys think its a good idea if i buy that to review chemistry throughout the year? I will not study intenssively for now just to have an idea of where i should be and how i will study once i approach the DAT. Also i want to review for biology with cliff notes this summer just to get a quick refresher?

Since everyone here is more knowledgeable than me regardin the DAT, is it true that it comstantly changes? So would it be a bad idea to purchase that destroyer bundle feom 2017? If anyone has better suggestions please let me know.

Thank you all for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah starting early can't hurt. I would start by getting a copy of Cliff's AP Bio and reading that a few times over the next year. Its pretty short so that wont be to hard. If you want to go a head and get Destroyer then do it, the 2017 version will be fine. The problems are harder than what you'll see on a DAT, but to be honest, if you even do like 5-10 problems a day from now till when you start studying you will be really prepared. Just suggestions tho, no need to start studying now. But if you want to start light reviewing now then then more power to you. Best of luck.

Hi eveyone,

So I am taking the DAT next year in july (2019) but i want to review this summer how much i remember for bio and chemistry. I was thinking to buy the DAT destroyer from a lady in offerup thats selling it for 200 and it comes with 4 books i thinks its the more expensive bundle ($400 originally). Do you guys think its a good idea if i buy that to review chemistry throughout the year? I will not study intenssively for now just to have an idea of where i should be and how i will study once i approach the DAT. Also i want to review for biology with cliff notes this summer just to get a quick refresher?

Since everyone here is more knowledgeable than me regardin the DAT, is it true that it comstantly changes? So would it be a bad idea to purchase that destroyer bundle feom 2017? If anyone has better suggestions please let me know.

Thank you all for your time

DAT Destroyer doesn't really change (except the Math Destroyer for 2018). I would say you don't have to purchase the 2018 versions. Honestly though, if you're gonna do light review I wouldn't start destroyer until you want to go all out and even then (it's not the most necessary). My recommendation is DAT Bootcamp and Qvault while actively reviewing after each exam for both. DAT Bootcamp has great notes for biology that would be a good foundation (better than cliff notes---cliff notes is not enough). I got a 24AA and a 22TS for reference.

DAT Destroyer doesn't really change (except the Math Destroyer for 2018). I would say you don't have to purchase the 2018 versions. Honestly though, if you're gonna do light review I wouldn't start destroyer until you want to go all out and even then (it's not the most necessary). My recommendation is DAT Bootcamp and Qvault while actively reviewing after each exam for both. DAT Bootcamp has great notes for biology that would be a good foundation (better than cliff notes---cliff notes is not enough). I got a 24AA and a 22TS for reference.
yeah I was thinking of doing the bootcamp program once I start studying more heavily. But for a light review until then what do you recommend for me to use? I dont want to get overwhelmed once I start studying because I will only have 2 months to do heavy studying. also, Do you think two months of heavy studying is good enough or should I extend the DAT exam more?

thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I was thinking of doing the bootcamp program once I start studying more heavily. But for a light review until then what do you recommend for me to use? I dont want to get overwhelmed once I start studying because I will only have 2 months to do heavy studying. also, Do you think two months of heavy studying is good enough or should I extend the DAT exam more?

thank you

My only worry is that theres a considerable gap of time between when you are taking your exam and when you would do light studying. Would you be studying lightly from now until the exam? Also 2 months is enough if you have a solid game plan.

For light review, I recommend finishing Cliff's AP Bio 3rd edition, Chad's videos G chem and Ochem, and perhaps watching all the Khan Academy videos on QR(if you need to brush up on your math). Don't buy Bootcamp until you are going all out. The subscription only lasts 3 months, so try not to buy until your last 2-3 months of studying. Same goes for Destroyer. I made the mistake of buying it a bit early and had to end up renewing my subscription. Bootcamp is by all means worth every penny though.

Like others have said, you don't need the most recent version of Destroyer.

For light review, I recommend finishing Cliff's AP Bio 3rd edition, Chad's videos G chem and Ochem, and perhaps watching all the Khan Academy videos on QR(if you need to brush up on your math). Don't buy Bootcamp until you are going all out. The subscription only lasts 3 months, so try not to buy until your last 2-3 months of studying. Same goes for Destroyer. I made the mistake of buying it a bit early and had to end up renewing my subscription. Bootcamp is by all means worth every penny though.

Like others have said, you don't need the most recent version of Destroyer.
About the AP bio, I have the third edition which everyone reccomends but is it still good? Everyone that reccomends it took the DAT years ago so do you think it will stay relevant for the 2019?

Sorry for the late reply. I just took my DAT in August and everything was very relevant. Also, I believe that Feralis notes was based on that edition and some other sources that were used.

The DAT does change over the years, but I cannot imagine any major changes that would make your studying useless. Trying to solidify your understanding of biology and chemistry will only make it easier when it comes time for you to establish a study plan in preparation for the DAT. I believe focusing on learning content this early will help you, and it will give you more time to spend doing practice questions as your exam date approaches. Good luck studying!