DAT testing centers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GRAD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that the testing centers are switching to dry erase boards now? Has anyone taken the test with dry erase boards instead of scratch paper recently? Where? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

These boards are pretty irritating as you tend to have lesser space to work on with a blunt marker, and you're often forced to erase something you're not sure whether you'll be referring to later. I would doubly check with the testing center you're going to write your DAT on this, before scheduling any testing appointment with them.

That would completely suck. I took the DAT a few weeks ago in Austin and it was 8 regular pages of scratch paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
GRAD said:
I heard that the testing centers are switching to dry erase boards now? Has anyone taken the test with dry erase boards instead of scratch paper recently? Where? Thanks!!

Where do you live? NC had paper about a month ago.

pearlywhite said:
Where do you live? NC had paper about a month ago.
I live near San Francisco and the testing center wont pick up and has a full mailbox! Has anyone taken it in SF lately?

I've taken the DAT twice. Once with scratch paper and a #2 and once with the dry erase method. If they don't give you scratch paper when you are being fingerprinted, ask for it. The dry erase is much much more frustrating (smaller writing area, need to erase before doing the problem, crappy dried out pen, smelly ink, writing size is unfamiliar). You could also call the testing center before the big day and ask for paper and pencil.

reapply2007 said:
I've taken the DAT twice. Once with scratch paper and a #2 and once with the dry erase method. If they don't give you scratch paper when you are being fingerprinted, ask for it. The dry erase is much much more frustrating (smaller writing area, need to erase before doing the problem, crappy dried out pen, smelly ink, writing size is unfamiliar). You could also call the testing center before the big day and ask for paper and pencil.

Good idea. You're the customer with the right to demand something of this kind. And don't forget to ask them whether the terminal you're going to work with has trustworthy monitor. I have heard of someone working halfway through with screen beginning to flicker, and the time on test continued to run while the proctor sought help to get it fixed. The consequence can be devastating.

mac60 said:
Good idea. You're the customer with the right to demand something of this kind. And don't forget to ask them whether the terminal you're going to work with has trustworthy monitor. I have heard of someone working halfway through with screen beginning to flicker, and the time on test continued to run while the proctor sought help to get it fixed. The consequence can be devastating.

I called the another test center and they said that its gonna be on a dry erase board, and there's nothing ican do about it....has anyone asked for scratch paper and actually gotten it when the test center says dry erase board?

GRAD said:
I called the another test center and they said that its gonna be on a dry erase board, and there's nothing ican do about it....has anyone asked for scratch paper and actually gotten it when the test center says dry erase board?

I got paper...they told me all I got was 8 pages but I told them this was a very important test for me and I tend to write lots! They said I could exchange my 8 pages for more.

So give it a try and just be curtious and explain how important it is for you to have paper. A white board is a SERIOUS dissadvantage I think...

GRAD said:

Why don't you visit that center and ask them to show you how the baord look like. Then, go get one from Staple or Wal-Mart and begin using it when practicing problems for your DAT.