DAT timeline; SMP vs. Master's vs. DIY Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brooklyn99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a recent college graduate with cGPA 3.27, sGPA 3.05, bcpGPA 2.81. Throughout my undergrad, there were many personal and family issues that I had to deal with. It was difficult to envision an end goal/ career and I honestly did not know what I was working towards - my continuous low grades were a reflection of this. It wasn't until the summer right after my junior year, when I worked as a dental assistant during COVID-19, that I found and tapped into my interest in dentistry. I was fortunate enough to be trained on the job - I worked and shadowed at the same time. I have not taken the DAT yet and am hoping to apply in the 2022-2023 cycle if possible. Currently, for my 1st gap year, I'd like to apply for a record-enhancing program, but am unsure which option (SMP vs. Master's vs. DIY Post-bacc) is best/needed based on my stats. How many credits would be needed to boost my GPA so that I don't get screened out by dental schools? If you have any recommended programs, that would be greatly appreciated as well.

As for the DAT, do you suggest that I take it before or after I apply for programs? When is the latest to take the DAT so that I can still submit relatively early in the cycle?

** NOTE:
- I plan to find some shadowing/ volunteering opportunities while attending a program/ studying for DAT
- I've held leadership positions throughout undergrad and have also been involved with diabetes research since 2019

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read through and/or providing feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on my last semester of an SMP so take what I say with a grain of salt. I graduated with a 2.97 uGPA and a 2.58 sGPA, but I'm currently sitting on two interview invites will likely have at least another from SMP linkage.

Your GPA is probably high enough to not get filtered, but I would focus on killing the DAT and doing a post-bacc. I think a SMP is too much risk for someone in your position. Also only do a masters if you are interested in the subject. If you are only doing a masters to get into dental school then don't waste your time. I'd recommend contacting dental schools and seeing what they want from you. Also fill out a WAMC thread because occasionally they're helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm on my last semester of an SMP so take what I say with a grain of salt. I graduated with a 2.97 uGPA and a 2.58 sGPA, but I'm currently sitting on two interview invites will likely have at least another from SMP linkage.

Your GPA is probably high enough to not get filtered, but I would focus on killing the DAT and doing a post-bacc. I think a SMP is too much risk for someone in your position. Also only do a masters if you are interested in the subject. If you are only doing a masters to get into dental school then don't waste your time. I'd recommend contacting dental schools and seeing what they want from you. Also fill out a WAMC thread because occasionally they're helpful.
Do you mind if I ask which SMP program you are in? And why did you decide to choose the SMP option over the DIY post-bacc and Master's programs?

I would second what Tvirtumas said. Don't do a SMP unless you are 100% sure that you will dedicate every hour to getting all As in the program. I went in to a SMP with much higher stats and now the advisors at the SMP are saying that with my SMP GPA I will likely get filtered from all professional schools. SMPs are very expensive and very difficult. Do a DIY post-bacc if you want to show an improved GPA and focus on earning more hours. Maybe find a job as a DA or research assistant. It says that you will find shadowing/volunteering while doing the program but the coursework at SMPs are no joke and you might not be able to juggle that many things at once. It's good that you already have connections in research and DA work. Just continue to do that and try hard for a very high DAT. But if you think you're determined enough to do SMP and get mostly As, there are threads all over SDN that list out SMPs.