SMP vs 2 year Masters program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dental Rev

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I didn’t apply this cycle because I wasn’t feeling confident so I spent the past year working at a dental office. I’m planning on applying this year but I also want to take classes to boost my application. I already have too many credits for a post-bacc to raise my gpa so I plan on taking a Masters program. My state school which is also my 1st pick dental school has a 2 year Masters program in oral biology and I’m interested in taking it, but it’s not a SMP which a lot of people seem to recommend. Is there any benefit in doing a SMP over a regular Masters program?
 
If it were me, I would stay away from a two-year master's program. They have plenty of master's programs that are only 1 year that will get you an acceptance. What are your statistics?