DAT vs. GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terp99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which actually counts more:
DAT or GPA.
In my case, I have a low GPA (2.7) but did well on the DAT's (18/19). Does anyone think I have a shot b/c I showed that I belong with my DAT scores? I also have a lot of experience. I worked with my dad (dentist). I also have some solid rec's from dentists and professors.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually am in the very same boat. I got a 2.8 from Columbia and my DAT were 19/22. I have had some real problems getting interviews at a lot of schools. I recently got into Case Western but I'd like some more choices. I also have been working with my dad (a dentist). I have some great experience in a lot of fields (EMT, Oral Surgery trauma team, Parotidectomy, Free Clinic of Cleveland) and some solid recs too. All this does not always add up to an acceptance I've recently learned. It's a tough road and you have to fight and be competitive with everyone while showing that once in you won't be so competitive but work well with everyone else. So GPA vs. DAT I think has a little to do with the decision but we as applicants can never know exactly how much sway it has. Good Luck.