DAT vs. MCAT anyone taken both?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taihenkoichi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the DAT in a week. I've taken the MCAT, just wondering how the DAT compares. Has anyone had experience with both tests??

Members don't see this ad.

I never took the MCAT, but from some of my friends, i've heard that the DAT is a lot easier in comparison to the MCAT.

I think it depends on if you question pre-dental students or pre-medical students. This discussion seems to have a tendency to get ugly. Why would you take both anyway unless you're using one profession as a backup for another? Not sure yet if you want to be a physician or dentist?

Initially, I thought medicine was for me, but after a few experiences I realized that dentistry was the best fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT has passage oriented questions where you have to interpret answers. DAT is more of a regurgitation of concepts and facts. At least that's what it is for the natural sciences. MCAT also has a physics section. It's actually a very different test...

yeah i heard the MCAT is easier than the DAT.

ZENOVT you have a tight ***** AVATAR :cool:.

GO GO POWER RANGERS! HAHA GOOD TIMES (3RD GRADE)

i studied with my buddy who was studying for MCAT, and i definately think that MCAT is harder than DAT.

test is much longer and having physics section sucks

even Bio, reading passages for questions usually hurts more than it helps

but if you studied either of them thoroughly, you shoudl be fine.

good luck!

Hi
I took both the DAT and the MCAT. I decided to switch to dentistry. Anyway, I did fine in both of them. I don't know whether I should say that the mcat is much harder, but it's DIFFERENT. In the mcat I found myself thinking much more while in the DAT it came down to the fact whether I know the answer or not w/o much thinking (except a few questions). I found myself memorizing stuff for the DAT and learning all the plants/taxonomy stuff which wasn't on the mcat. When I was studying for the MCAT I tried different approaches on how to attack the passage and get most of the info out of the passage rather than memorizing as much as possible. Also, the DAT had math ( which sucked). HOwever, the DAT doesn't have physics which makes it easier for some people.
hope that helps.

For me, the DAT was easier. I took the MCAT several years ago when it was on paper. 8 to 9 hour day. Also, the MCAT is passage based; kind of like having RC for every subject. where or course the dat is question/answer